• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Front CV axle upgrade?

LShummer

Are there any options for the H3 front CV axles for upgrades in strength, angularity, etc…? Someone on here posted a link to Trakmotive extended travel cv shafts which look awesome, but I contact them and they make nothing for the H3.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
The OEM (AC Delco/GM) CV axles hold up very well. They are probably as strong, if not stronger, than the front diff to which they are attached. One common school of thought with these CVs is that if you upgrade them, like to RCV CVs, you're just making the front diff the weak point where the failure will occur. I have not broken an OEM CV but I've gone through a couple of front diffs. I've replaced the OEM CVs when the boot tore and I didn't repair it quick enough and allowed the bulk of the grease to fling out.

I have not heard of ones that have greater operating angles, maybe others have.

The aftermarket CVs like Cardone are junk and fail quickly.

rascole

I second Alrock. AC Delco CV's are the best, Cardone and all the others are a distant second. I have only broke 1 OEM CV and many aftermarket CV's. Rumor has it the GM Performance CV's for the second gen Colorado ZR2 fit but the are the cost of a good used H3, @5k for a set. Lottery winners click here. (real link)

LShummer

The OEM (AC Delco/GM) CV axles hold up very well. They are probably as strong, if not stronger, than the front diff to which they are attached. One common school of thought with these CVs is that if you upgrade them, like to RCV CVs, you're just making the front diff the weak point where the failure will occur. I have not broken an OEM CV but I've gone through a couple of front diffs. I've replaced the OEM CVs when the boot tore and I didn't repair it quick enough and allowed the bulk of the grease to fling out.

I actually contacted RCV, they said they current make nothing for the H3 and at one time only made the outer joint.
I second Alrock. AC Delco CV's are the best, Cardone and all the others are a distant second. I have only broke 1 OEM CV and many aftermarket CV's. Rumor has it the GM Performance CV's for the second gen Colorado ZR2 fit but the are the cost of a good used H3, @5k for a set. Lottery winners click here. (real link)
Holy crap, you could have custom built for that!

LShummer

Are there any options for the H3 front CV axles for upgrades in strength, angularity, etc…? Someone on here posted a link to Trakmotive extended travel cv shafts which look awesome, but I contact them and they make nothing for the H3.
So since Trakmotive doesnt make the extended travel super hoo ha version for the H3, they did get back to me that they make a standard version and the part number is GM-8240. Funny thing; Oreillys sells these under the brand Precision and Napa sells them as their brand name. No idea if there worth a shit, but their made by Trakmotive.

Nikal

So since Trakmotive doesnt make the extended travel super hoo ha version for the H3, they did get back to me that they make a standard version and the part number is GM-8240. Funny thing; Oreillys sells these under the brand Precision and Napa sells them as their brand name. No idea if there worth a shit, but their made by Trakmotive.
Being that Rock Auto sells the Trackmotive GM-8240 axle assembly for $42.99 ea. I’m thinking they are not going to be high quality.

And good luck finding OEM GM/Delco axles. I’m not even sure they are making them anymore. No one has stock, and the one or two places that say they have “One” in stock are charging $350-400 for it.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Wow, didn't realize they were scarce. They were about $285 each last time I bought them. Hopefully, like some other H3 parts, it's an ebb and flow supply chain situation.

Schwarttzy

Sponsor

If the half shaft was 1.5-inches longer they would work perfectly. Also, rockauto sell them for cheap.

Teahead

I bought ac/delcos recently at RockAuto at around $281/each.

I have my old ones and I plan on getting them rebuilt w/new grease and boots.

Nikal

I bought ac/delcos recently at RockAuto at around $281/each.

I have my old ones and I plan on getting them rebuilt w/new grease and boots.

Recently at RockAuto? They dont even list ACDelco’s for the H3 or the ACDelco part
#15886012?
Must have been along while ago. I was on email waiting list and I have not received anything from them saying they are in stock. For the past several months they don’t even list them.

I’m betting Chevy has discontinued it as a OEM part unless it’s already sitting on someone shelf.

Teahead

wow, I guess I got the last two on earth two weeks ago. One from Amazon, the other from RockAuto

LShummer

As far as front axle failures, given a cast iron case, what seems to be the best cv axles available ACDelco, wheres the next most common break point? My guess is the E-locker?

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
As far as front axle failures, given a cast iron case, what seems to be the best cv axles available ACDelco, wheres the next most common break point? My guess is the E-locker?
I broke ring/pinion and it was Yukon gears. And because I was an idiot, I didn't pull the CV axles right away and I drove off the trail, tweaking and ruining the CI case. I haven't heard of H3 owners breaking the lockers though plenty of owners have worn them out. Of course there might be those breakages I just don't know of them.

LShummer

I broke ring/pinion and it was Yukon gears. And because I was an idiot, I didn't pull the CV axles right away and I drove off the trail, tweaking and ruining the CI case. I haven't heard of H3 owners breaking the lockers though plenty of owners have worn them out. Of course there might be those breakages I just don't know of them.
So the cv axles didnt break first, but the Yukon ring and pinion? You think stock ring and pinion is stronger than Yukon or some other brand? Asking a hundred questions want to build the strongest AAM 760 i can.