• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Naches Pass Wa, Oct. 8 2011

Scarsman

Sponsor
Ok, I know, we didn't go yet. Thought I'd get a head start here. My family is going to camp on the east side of the mountains tomorrow night and come home Sunday, so I just finished packing all the gear up on the roof rack. Takes a lot of gear for 6 people!

DSCN1511.jpg

DSCN1510.jpg

And then we put SGT-Wright's GOBI rack on top of it all:

DSCN1513.jpg

So, we'll be hitting the road dark and early in the morning. Very sad to hear H3slate wont be there. That's a real bummer!

Scarsman

Sponsor
Well, the weather turned beautiful, and it was awsome. Right up until the time were almost to the start of the trail and I was trying to climb an incline with a step in gumbo mud and my left rear axle went POP!!! :gaah: Limped it back to pavement, and flatbedded it to Monroe. We'll find out how good that GMPP extended warranty is Monday morning! PNW-H3 and SGT-Wright went on to find the trail and try to get across. Not sure where they are now. We are back home thanks to Kmug helping us get gear and people to the house fom the dealership. He is a rockstar!!! And thanks to Hummjay for driving Kmug out to cell service to get the flatbed coming.

I have to say, I have rarely been on this end of the helping stick, and it is very humbling. Thanks to all you guys for the support and help! I'll post more details tomorrow when I finish banging my head against the wall!

Maybe the other guys will post up some happier accounts and pictures. I'm done for the night!

Zach

Mall Crawler
Glad you had fun! Good to hear you limped it off the trail. A little de ja vue for me. What gears are you running?Sorry to hear about the rear end. Giving me nightmares about the flatbed though. Was there last week

Last edited:

Hummjay

Wild Thang
Hey there Scars! Ouch! :whaa: That snap was an unnerving sound! That was a really mean hill. And with a pipe to boot! I really hope that warranty works out. My fingers are crossed... don't beat yourself up over what happened. It could have happened to any one of us, and has before, and you are always there for the group, helping everyone, rescuing folks (mostly me! :)). I'm sure I can speak for all of us when I say that we were glad and very eager to help you out for a change, to get your truck towed and your family safely back home. Glad you made it back in one piece! Ken was awesome! Amazing that he got all of your stuff plus 7 people and a big dog into his H3.

The day was beautiful! And the mountain was awesome. It was cool that PNW-H3 and SGT Wright continued on to find the trail and get through it. I'd love to go back and give it another try.

Well, here are the few pics I took. But I apologize in advance for having only rear end shots of our trek through the trail. Beautiful country though. The leaves were barely beginning to change. I got some great road rash! :wink:

100_8176.jpg

100_8157.jpg

100_8156.jpg

100_8121.jpg

100_8138.jpg

Hummjay

Wild Thang
100_8175.jpg

100_8166.jpg

100_8170.jpg

At first I thought no big deal, Scarsman's just messin' around on a dirt hill (I couldn't see him too well) ... then I heard "Snap!"
100_8159.jpg

SGT-Wright

Well we made it through all the way to the end. There were some really tight spots squeezing between trees. I think Robert would have had to get out the chainsaw for a couple spots to fit through or under trees. It was nice weather and the sights were great. We took lots of pics and videos that I will post up when I get home from work. Hopefully Robert can get some pics of the carnage in his diff or axle to post up. The day turned sad for a while with the breakage, but ended with smiles after the trail was done.
Oh, and a thousand thanks for bringing the Gobi rack down for me Scars... :)

Scarsman

Sponsor
Glad you had fun! Good to hear you limped it off the trail. A little de ja vue for me. What gears are you running?Sorry to hear about the rear end. Giving me nightmares about the flatbed though. Was there last week

Yeah, I was thinking of you when it was sitting on the flatbed. It has the stock 4:11 gears in it.

Scarsman

Sponsor
Well, I just got back from the dealer. GMPP is going to cover it, and the parts are being overnighted from Michigan. The LR axle broke right near the splines. The caliper is fine, but the rotor was ruined getting back to the road. The caliper bracket is fine too.

So far I am impressed with this dealer. When I asked about a rental car, which GMPP provides under certain circumstances, the service guy said GMPP gave them and "either/or", overnight the parts, or pay for a rental, and since the parts were overnighted we would not qualify for the rental. Then a lady from the office behind the counter walked out and said, "Just take care of them. Put them in a car and I'll deal with warranty." Then she looked at me and said, "It's not your fault it broke!" So they rounded up a loaner car for us and we are good to go. It will all just cost us a $100 deductible. :woot: It should be done tomorrow afternoon or Wednesday morning.

By the way, the dealer is Speedway Chevrolet in Monroe. This is our third dealing with them. Before we got the Hummer, we had to take our Envoy in to have the head replaced nder warranty. We bought the Hummer there, and they were pretty good to us then. So far all our experiences have been very good. No hassles and they make it as smooth as possible.

Yarjammer

It is nice to see that the dealer and GMPP are working out! I'll have to keep that dealer in mind although they are little North for me... then again, you never know where disaster may strike and tows aren't exactly cheap.

kmug

I posted a link to my album in the other thread, but this one wasn't in there. Now that we know GMPP is stepping up . .

2011-10-08_17-42-41_678.jpg
\

Sorry Man . . you asked! :)

Scarsman

Sponsor
:gaah::shame::bf1::be7: Oh, that hurts so bad! I must say, I have really had fealings for past vehicles I have had, but nothing like what I have with this one. This one is true love! I felt sick all day yesterday. I feel better now knowing all will be well, but last night my wife asked if I was ok, and I just said, "I broke my Hummer!" My 12 year old told my wife that yesterday I looked like a kid who got in trouble on his birthday and didn't get any cake or presents and had to go to bed early. Ouch! :emb:

H3slate

Brush raked
:gaah::shame::bf1::be7: Oh, that hurts so bad! I must say, I have really had fealings for past vehicles I have had, but nothing like what I have with this one. This one is true love! I felt sick all day yesterday. I feel better now knowing all will be well, but last night my wife asked if I was ok, and I just said, "I broke my Hummer!" My 12 year old told my wife that yesterday I looked like a kid who got in trouble on his birthday and didn't get any cake or presents and had to go to bed early. Ouch! :emb:

That is too funny!! Sad, but funny. :giggle:

Looks like the birthday and cake is back on!! :woot:

kmug

:gaah::shame::bf1::be7: My 12 year old told my wife that yesterday I looked like a kid who got in trouble on his birthday and didn't get any cake or presents and had to go to bed early. Ouch! :emb:

I totally understand! Like I said in the damage thread, I'm not at all sure how well I'm going to take my first major problem.

kmug

A few more my brother just sent me . . .

Me trying to figure out which way screws on
photo%25202.JPG

The staging area
photo%25201.JPG

The spot . .
photo%25201-1.JPG

According to embedded GPS in the above photo, this is where it happened. Notice the distance from Naches Trail ( oops )
Screen%2520shot%25202011-10-11%2520at%25209.49.48%2520AM.jpg

Scarsman

Sponsor
A few more my brother just sent me . . .

According to embedded GPS in the above photo, this is where it happened. Notice the distance from Naches Trail ( oops )
Screen%20shot%202011-10-11%20at%209.49.48%20AM.jpg

Well, the trail actually keeps going and would cross right in front of where you have my truck. We were really close to it there, if it weren't for that washout.

Zach

Mall Crawler
I posted a link to my album in the other thread, but this one wasn't in there. Now that we know GMPP is stepping up . .

2011-10-08_17-42-41_678.jpg
\

Sorry Man . . you asked! :)

Unfortunately, I have some of those pictures too :emb: