• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Rear brakes squealing...driving me crazy!

2007HummerH2

Lately my rear brakes have been squealing. I checked them and they measure 10mm thick. I believe brand new pads for H2's measure 12mm. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I assume that the last owner changed the brake pads. The H2 has 57K on the odometer. What will cause this squeal? If I stop fast there is no squeal....going slow and stopping it sounds like I have no brakes left.
Would like to get this solved asap. Any info would be great!

Firesquirt

Most likely;
1) The pads were not glued to the pistons, so they vibrate when stopping on light peddle action.
2) The compound used in the pads is too hard.

Number one if you hear them drag while driving slow.

Kyle

Take some WD-40 and really soak the pads and rotors up really well! That will stop the squeaking!! Lol jk

Sent from the top of a mountain in my h3

LoJac963

when I've had other vehicles squeal like that I've taken everything apart and properly greased it all. Most people skip the step of greasing everything when they do their own brake job. That included the caliper pins, both sides of the metal shims that go between the pad and the piston, I even put a little where the tabs of the pads fit into the calipers. Basically any moving part or metal touching metal gets greased when I do my brakes. Granted I haven't done them on an H2 yet but you could give it a shot. Pick up some of those .99 cent brake grease packets and go to town. Just dont' get any on the pad surface or rotors.

ABNTROOP

HIPPO
hellsyeah.gif

2007HummerH2

Update:
I pulled the rear tires and checked the rear brakes. Pads and rotors appear to be fairly new, probably within 6 months. Everything looked good. The pads had grease on them where they contact the caliper. Rotors were extremely clean. Put everything back together, but still squeaking/squealing. Driving me crazy!
I possibly thought they were glazed so went with some DE - SQUEAK from CRC. Did that last night. Brakes were quiet for a little while and then started just as bad as before.
I can't tell what brand rotors or pads they are and I think that might be the culprit.....probably were replaced with really cheap junk.

LoJac963

as I mentioned grease the caliper pins and the areas of the caliper where the pad tabs sit also. Any metal to metal grease it!

Had the similar problem on my H2, try this see if it works for you, find a flat open area and go in reverse kinda fast and then stop hard! do this a few times, by going in reverse its supposed to cut the disc in the opposite way and knock out dust you can't get to. Another solution is to take an angle grinder with 3M Roloc discs and clean the brake discs in a circular motion on both sides, making sure you don't stay in one spot of the disc to long. Use the coarse brown disc.