• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Brake pad recommendations

autumn walker

The rear pads are due for replacement in my truck, wondering what your recommendations are for replacement pads? Also, should I replace the rotors while I am at it; currently has plenty of life left.

Pappibri

I just changed mine recently. I wanted to stay OEM but the AC Delco top of the lines was like 350.00 for the front and back. I think they wanted 170.00 for the rear pads. So I went with the AC Delco Duralast which was the next down on their list. I think those were only like 90.00 for the rear.. They stop just as good as what was on their in the first place. Also, I did not turn my rotors, I was told as long as your brakes are not pulsating dont bother. By doing so your just making them thinner. Of course mine just had the lil lip at the outer edge but pretty smooth on the face. If you have some grooves in it I would turn them..

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
Yup, I'd stick with what ever was on there stock. My brakes are at 60K miles and still stop like new. I'd asked my service advisor about replacing the pads at 30K like I had to do with the 3. He said the H2's brakes are much better and last way longer than what the 3 has; from my experience with both now, I gotta believe him.

autumn walker

Right on - I'm at about 62,000 kms (38,500 mi) and the rears are squeeking frequently; doubtful that it is just surface dirt on the rotor (need to pull tires and confirm).

Anyone have experience / thoughts with EBC brakes? They make some pads specifically for HD trucks as well as OEM replacement for like $50 a set. Brand is popular with the Subaru guys for track / extreme use.

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
Really odd that your rear brakes would be squeeking that early. Lessons I've learned in the recent past is to pull it apart now instead of waiting when whatever it is will only cost more to fix.
I've also learned that the rear brakes don't do a whole lot as compared to the front brakes, which do alot of the work---so it would be odd if your fronts are still good and back is squeeking.
I had an issue with the rears sqeeling on my wife's car, took it apart and it turned out to be a broken tension spring for the pads. Bought a spring kit for $7, replaced just that, checked the drum and put it all back together. Good to go.
Good luck!

atvspeed4

I love ebc brake pads! I installed them on my range rover sport when I had it. I put yellow on the front and green HD on the rear along with drilled factory rotors. It was amazing the difference in stopping power after the break in period.

Zach

Mall Crawler
The OEM pads are a great pad. They are pricey but worth it. 38,500 miles seems way to early for them to be out. I got roughly 140k on my first set of pads.

Scarsman

Sponsor
Squeaking/squealing could be from just dust, a small rock stuck behind the backing plate, etc. Like the others, I would be shocked of the brakes were gone. I would start by pulling the wheels off and looking. If the pads are still good then I would remove calipers and remove pads from them. Clean pads and calipers real well, and then apply generous amount of disc brake lube to the back of the pads anywhere they contact the caliper. Reassemble and you should be nice and quiet.

The squeal isn't from surface dust on the rotor. Its comes from dust getting between the pad and caliper. The pad vibrates just a tiny bit against the caliper causing the sound. When I was a shop monkey we had more people come in certain they needed brakes, but just needed a clean and lube.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ArtHummer

Some chip brake pads will cause squeaking because the material that it made of is to hard and produce allot of dust. Besides lubing the pads, use the metal brush to brush the pads from all the dust and brush of harp edges of the side of the pads. that should make the noise go away for some time. But in any case, get better brake pads next time.

My last pads I got from NAPA. I got the Premium ones. It is not the most expensive that they got but I was really satisfied with it. NAPA Premium

Pappibri

Yeah, you need to pull the rear tires and check out why its squealing. The fronts should go first, but yeah lub up the sliders and clean em up like the other fellows mentioned and see if that takes care of it, that is if the pads arent gone.:thumbs:

Scarsman

Sponsor
Great! Always a nice to get an easy fix!

One thing, I hope you used actual disc brake lube, not grease? There is a big difference.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

Calamitygirl

Born to Wheel
I just did them with oem they are fine. Dealer had special coupon and rebate I only paid about $75 for front.
Didnt turn rotors was told just replace when time comes. 72,000 miles and first time any brake work required.