• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

New and need YOUR ADVICE....purchasing 2008 H3 Sept 2012 having doubts....scared....

GlitterU

Thanks for letting me join. I am hoping to find some piece of mind here with the pro's. I had a Land Rover and it was a bad bad buy - flipped into a cadillac CTS - missing my truck suv. Looking at 2008 H3 2previous owners, one lease, one personal - lease was for 3 years per carfax and personal owner had 1 year and traded into toyota dealership for a tacoma truck. I found the black base H3 on the pre owned lot and i'm debating getting it. 57000 miles - plan to buy 2 yr warranty on it. Can anyone tell me your opinion on this vehicle - i love it - always wanted one but scared to buy incase of ISSUES and them not making it any more.

autumn walker

Not really any issues with the '08 model year - I had the same truck (black, base, auto, I5) and it never gave me trouble.

Parts are still available and suspension / drivetrain is shared with other GM vehicles so they will be making spares for awhile.

GlitterU

Thank you for feedback - why did you get rid of yours? do you mind me asking - Need an SUV for travel baseball (storage) i'm loving the H2 but gas mileage is the reason i won't get one. H3 seems to fit my style if i add some running boards and grill guard to it but scared to invest b/c i got burned with the land rover......feel i can trust the investment being its 2012 then - i appreciate the help - just nervous.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Re: New and need YOUR ADVICE....purchasing 2008 H3 Sept 2012 having doubts....scared

As far as i know, the 08h3's have not been plagued with the bad electrical bugs and oil pumps like land rovers have been

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Land Rovers are notorious for service costs. Great looking vehicles and often great performance, but at a high cost. The H3s do not have the high service cost like the Rovers. When you are looking at those trucks be sure to crawl on the ground and look for evidence of the truck going offroad as that does increase the wear and tear. Doesn't make it a bad vehicle but it should adjust your offer price downward.

mkmcgreg

I have an 07 base i5 and was hesitant at first before I picked mine up. Zero problems with mine at 75k. Biggest thing I would ask you is what are you expecting/wanting from a SUV?

Most people are surprised when they get in mine and it is not loaded with tvs and leather, some people in my area only see hummers as luxury cars. An honest review from me is they are not fast but have enough power, mpg is on par with most vehicles it's size, base models are not luxurious. Dont get me wrong they are very nice well built nice riding quiet SUV just not all are loaded down like some people think. With that being said if you are wanting a capable ,reliable SUV that will bring a smile to your face every time you see it its perfect. I wouldn't trade mine for anything and I have some running boards ill sell ya if ur in the Indy area

GlitterU

Thank you all - i am so glad i came here - http://northshoretoyota.com/Covington-Louisiana/For-Sale/Used/Hummer/H3/2008-SUV-Black-SUV/12933950/ I am spoiled by the cts fully loaded minus sunroof which i miss so much - i guess i'm swapping my heated and powered seats for a nice sunroof - kids love it and great cargo in the back for all of our gear. a TWO car family is not cutting it - missing suv - i love the look. Want to add running boards and black front grill - searching ebay now. Also want carpet for cargo area that ought to make it a bit more appealing on the outside for me. inside has the leather so that is a plus...won't do fabric seats. mkmcgreg what color are the running boards? flat or round? black or chrome?

Neo

Badfish
we have an 06 that we got in july of 05 , we put on 44,500 miles with no problems mechanically. we just had the engine light come on last week and was worried that it was going to be big bucks since the truck is out of warranty. the local chevy dealer fixed the computer problem and it was only $45.00 we were surprised to say the least. we went thru a couple of front diffs , but that was expected to the type of use we put it thru . if you can get a 2 year warranty i would suggest getting it if it is what you want. if you wheel it hard there is always the chance of braking something and my definition of wheelin hard is a bit higher than most.

my truck is the green 3 in this vid
[video=youtube_share;RkHUKysdsLs]http://youtu.be/RkHUKysdsLs[/video]

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
GlitterU,
Welcome to the forum & nice rig there! Congratulations. You will love the H3.

My wife has an 08 H3 w/luxury package. She loves it and hasn't had any problems with it mechanacally. But buy the GMPP extended warranty - some day you will be glad you did. I drive an 09 H3T and love it. I've had the usual offroad wear and tear and repair/replacement of certain front suspension and drivetrain parts but that's to be expected with any rig if you do any wheeling. But I plan to keep my T until the wheels fall off!

As far as the running boards are concerned, are you talking about the big tube step/nerf bars or rock sliders. If you plan to do any off-roading, the nerf bars/tube steps will not hold up to impact like rock sliders. Rock sliders are made out of stronger-grade heavier tubing or flat steel and are made to handle impacts from objects while off-road or to slide the vehicle over or pivoting off large boulders without damaging and protecting your rocker panels but can also be used as steps, unlike the nerf bars that serve only as steps.

If you're looking to pick-up a set of nerf bars, try posting in the Swap Meet section of the forum because you can probably find a set from one of the members here at a huge discount (maybe even free if you're willing to pay shipping) versus buying a set new and paying full retail. Many of the members here "ditched their nerfs" a long time ago and replaced them with rock sliders for offroading purposes.

Last edited:

mkmcgreg

I have a set of round black ones collecting dust in my attic. As big unit said I took them off for rock sliders. Looks like a nice truck with the luxury package on it. When u said you came from a LR and a CTS didn't want you to be disappointed with a cloth interior base model. That looks to be a good looking truck good luck with the search!

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
My wife has been driving our 08 Alpha since new. ( 80,000 miles now ) It has been a great truck with only a few issues, all handled under warranty. We did buy the extended GMPP warranty when our factory warranty ran out. I tried to get my wife to let me trade her 08 Alpha for a 2010 H3T Alpha and she wouldn't do it. She loved her H3 too much to give it up.

autumn walker

Thank you for feedback - why did you get rid of yours? do you mind me asking - Need an SUV for travel baseball (storage) i'm loving the H2 but gas mileage is the reason i won't get one.

loved my H3, but it was not large enough for my family and I - wanted more space to put camping and recovery gear in the back. I also found that my modified H3 with the 35" mud tires and the I5 was underpowered and actually got worse fuel economy than the H2 does stock. I also went from a loaded Saab 9-3 to the base H3 and missed the luxuries of the Saab - leather, heated seats, dual zone, etc. H2 has all of that.

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
Welcome to the forum.

The 08 and later H3 are better than the 06 & 07. I prefer the Alpha with a V8 over the I5, but you pay for it at the gas pump. Mine isn't a daily driver so I don't mind the gas mileage so much.

The difference between the Base model and the Adventure model or a model with the off road package is the off road package/Adventure model includes a front locking differential and larger tires (33" instead of 32"). If you want to off road it, the off road package is nice to have. If you're only driving it on the roads the base model will be fine (unless you get stuck in a snow drift).

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Welcome to the forum.

The difference between the Base model and the Adventure model or a model with the off road package is the off road package/Adventure model includes a front locking differential and larger tires (33" instead of 32"). If you want to off road it, the off road package is nice to have. If you're only driving it on the roads the base model will be fine (unless you get stuck in a snow drift).

:huh:
Off road package for 08 and earlier models did not include a front locking differential, they had a rear locking differential. It was 09 and later that received the front locker with a cast iron differential.

In addition, the adventure series (or offroad package models) also had different shocks and different t/cases 4:1 vs. 2.64:1 (I believe 2.64 is correct).

As for the 08, there are no known problems that would affect the majority of the vehicles like there were on the 06 models. I have a 08 lux, with the off road package, and so far have had to replace the front diff bushing/crossmember, rear shocks, radiator (all under warranty). Have just replaced rear springs due to excessive noise and they were starting to sag, but also installed a rear air bag suspension system. I have offroaded this vehicle since day one, so the limited amount of work done to it is, in my mind, minor.

Overall, they are good vehicles. Not a fan of extended warranties; prefer to take the gamble myself.

reaper

Welcome, GlitterU! I'd hold out for the adventure series-- you should be able to get the adventure package at that price range, the lower range 4-low plus the rear locker are really killer features. I'd say shop around! I got my 2006 adventure series h3 for FAR less than that. :) If you're willing to spend more money, I would consider the Alpha with the V8 though. I do regret not ponying up for the V8 before I started building out my h3. (I've added a lift, front locking cast iron diff, a few things like that that add up-- all by choice though). But I freaking love my H3-- I'm sure you will too. So try to pony up for the package that will make you happy-- I have leather and love it-- would recommend aiming for a leather plus adventure package if possible, but whatever you get you'll love.

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Welcome to the forum.

I have an '08 Alpha and can honestly say that at 41 years old, I've never owned a better vehicle. I'm at 46,000 miles now and haven't had to replace anything other than the fluids, filters, and a mirror (wheeling carnage). I've made a few small mods, but nothing too big.

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
:huh:
Off road package for 08 and earlier models did not include a front locking differential, they had a rear locking differential. It was 09 and later that received the front locker with a cast iron differential.

In addition, the adventure series (or offroad package models) also had different shocks and different t/cases 4:1 vs. 2.64:1 (I believe 2.64 is correct).

I stand corrected, f5moab is correct as usual.

Still, if you intend to off road it, or even if you think you might someday, I'd shop around for one with the off road package. You won't pay very much more to get the off road package (because most people don't know what it is worth or how to look for it). However, upgrading a base to the off road package is quite expensive. You might even consider looking for an 09/10 to get the case iron differential.

LagunaH1

The cast iron diff did come in 08s also

Yup, just not as a locker.

I had an 08 H3 alpha for 3 years and put a bunch of miles on it and wheeled it quite a bit. The only issues I had with the truck were due to the stress of off roading, large heavy tires etc. I always loved how comfortable and yet nimble the H3's feel on road. Good luck with the purchase, take your time and find the truck that's right for you

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
The cast iron diff did come in 08s also

If we want to talk Alphas then yes, all alphas since the first year (08) came with front cast iron diffs. However, I was discussing adventure series vehicles or off-road packages, and they did not get the cast iron diff until 09!

And if we want to bring in all the differences between the I5 and V8 Models; other than the engine, we have more items to list....

Last edited:

GlitterU

Ok, bought the 2008 H3 - love love love it, so fun to drive (i do have black leather seats by the way) - but now........what would I do with out this forum? BOUGHT THE USED H3 HUMMER - just filled it up for the first time with Shell Fuel and my check engine light is on wth - had the vehicle 2 days. it was half a tank so this was my first time filling it up completely - something tells me that is part of the problem?? HELP HELP DO I RUN BACK TO THE DEALERSHIP? bought the 2 year powertrain warranty but come on check engine light already - bought from a certified dealership......i just don't want to take the time to bring to dealer again - i want to drive it!!!!!!

GlitterU

Ok - not as easy as a gas cap - went to autozone for diagnostic and came back as misfire cylinder 5 - any experience on this 2008 H3 5v - i will start with sparkplugs but PRAY TO THE HEAVENS ITS NOTHING MAJOR......please give me some positive hope here....any advice???

LagunaH1

Hmm, I'm sure Alrock and / or some of the other H3 guys will chime in soon but I think anything engine related would be covered under the power train warranty. Make sure you get the proper OEM spark plugs.

GlitterU

Thanks LagunaH1 for fast reply. Is this common do you know for misfire cylinder 5 - it seems to be running fine but scared to keep driving it - have to take my lil ones to school monday but then headed back to the dealer I bought it from - really? is this truly happening - please tell me its a simple fix??? I will def mention to service about the oem spark plugs. I read a bit about that.