• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Rear track bar?...

4speedfunk

I just saw Bebe's half-door Rubicon pics (awesome BTW), and I wanted to start a new thread on rear track bars. Specifically...I wondered if Bebe (or other flexy rig owners) have ever considered adding a rear track bar? I took my H3 out Saturday and did some minor flex-testing, and was surprised at the amount of rear flex I had after the SOA. It looked almost spooky, like maybe I needed something more than just the leafs, to keep the axle centered under the truck. Has anyone else ever had a concern with this? I got picture on phone...I'll try to download it later today.

bebe

I haven't needed one - just make sure your drive line is fitted properly, your U-bolts are tight and you'll be good to go.

Track bars on wheeling rigs are used more often in Coil suspension or Linked Suspensions.

PS - my little flex out on the trail yesterday PI$$ED off my ABS and Traction Control, when we got to Wentworth Springs, I restarted the truck and it went away.

IMG_0062.jpg

4speedfunk

Here's mine from Saturday. It looks very similar to Alrock's photo of the three H3's in a row at Moab. I guess its normal to displace the axle this far but, if I start seeing stripes on my driveshaft (from the fuel tank skid)...that means I've got too much lateral movement. -LOL. What you say about the U-bolts is true. I've got stock ones right now and I barely have enough length (after adding a leaf) to get the nuts on! I'm sure that might have something to do with this. Check out the gap between the stock bumpstop and the spring plate...I've got to put some 4" extensions on there to limit my up-travel. I'm trying to keep from over-stuffing the rear tires, and bottoming out the shackles against the bumper. I plan to add the bump stops, some 3-degree shims, replace the U-bolts, and install new Fox shocks later this week. We'll see what that does for me.

View attachment 5731 View attachment 5732

Also, I pulled both driveshafts today and I'm going to lengthen the rear one 1-1/2" to compensate for the SOA. I'm sticking with the single U-joint and stock slip collar....I'm not running enough angle to warrant a cardan. The front shaft just needs a longer slip piece. I simply pulled the front (slip part) of the shaft off, and I'm gonna replace it with one that's 1"-2" longer. I worry about it pulling apart at full-droop. The front shaft is a bone stock 1980's GM unit with a H3 flange, so parts are everywhere.

bebe

Yes - we re-did the bump stops, that is a must and remember the OEM's are progressive so the new cans have to include full compression as a part of the measurement - bigger tires will help too :thumbs:

4speedfunk

Yeah, I went back and checked out your fabbed bump stop cans....pretty cool. I think I'm going to rob the rears and put them on the front, using something similar to your design. A couple months ago, I bought some aftermarket bumps like the ones below. Originally I bought these for the front but, now that stuff has settled down, I can see that these are too big for the front, and the factory rear bumps might work better up there. Jeez...my H3 is turning into Frankenstein!

bumpstops1.jpg

07Custom

Dang it, 4speed/Bebe...am I guaranteed to run into these same problems when I do my SOA? Remember I'm going the "Moab" edition route. :gaah:

And don't worry...my truck is Frankenstein already haha we can be twins!

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
lol, I already have the stripes...I bent the skid on a rock one day :gaah:

Ordering my Spring Over stuff tomorrow! After reading bebes threads and emailing 4speedfunk its time...