• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Driver side Door leak

HUMMERDAD

Noticed my driver side door leaking in the rain the other day and discovered the upper portion of the door does'nt fully close. The rest of the door seals up just not the top portion. I was wondering does any one else have this issue and if so where you able to fix it with replacing the door?? Would any one know how to fix this too? with out going to a body shop?:huh:

Scarsman

Sponsor
I'm away from mine so I can't look, but do the hinges bolt to the door, or are they welded? If bolted, does it look like the door has shifted where it mounts to the hinge? Short of impact damage, which would be obvious, that is the only thing I can think of that would do that.

HUMMERDAD

here are some pics the door lines up with all the body lines just top edge of the door around the window is not fully closing.

033.jpg034.jpg
cant't get the pics to rotate. hope this helps..

Scarsman

Sponsor
yeah, it clearly looks like the door is leaning out. I would take a look at the hinges and see if the door has shifted. That would seem more likely than the door being tweeked. Have you had any body work done or anything where the door was off?

HUMMERDAD

The door has been like that sence I bought it and to my knowledge it's never been in a wreck. I thought about the hinges too and everything there is aligned properly. when looking at the door stright on all the body lines are good I was just wondering if anyone else had this issue and what they did to fix it. Don't want to take it too a body shop every time I had to take my wifes car they just these big dollar signs in there eyes.

Rig Pig

Petroleum Transfer Tech.
Now this is what "I" would try......roll the window down and with the door open either pull the top of the door towards you with your knee holding the door from the inside or find something to keep the door open and push on the top of the door from the outside. 90%of the time this is what they do at a dealership out back and then charge you silly fees. There is also a silicone spray out that when sprayed on the soft rubber weather stripping it reacts and causes it to expand also helping seal your doors better.

[__--MUD--__]

The door has been like that sence I bought it and to my knowledge it's never been in a wreck. I thought about the hinges too and everything there is aligned properly. when looking at the door stright on all the body lines are good I was just wondering if anyone else had this issue and what they did to fix it. Don't want to take it too a body shop every time I had to take my wifes car they just these big dollar signs in there eyes.

No, you are only looking at the outside bodyline fit. You can rotate the top/bottom/entire door in or out at the hinges also.

I'd say most likely why you are now getting water in is your door seals have finally shrunk pulling out at the upper corners. Run your fingers around the upper door seal, see if it seats back down anywhere. Mine shrunk enough where it wouldn't stay even w/ the glue (upper corners kept pulling out). I pulled the stripping off from the bottom up, made sure it was seated properly and put the rest of the seal back on. Have a little bit of a gap at the bottom but thats no big deal.