• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H4O Event in WA --- Naches Pass Trail, Oct. 8 2011

Scarsman

Sponsor
Well, like an idiot I did not save my original post from "over there", so here we go again:

When:
October 8th 2011

Where:
Naches Pass Trail in Washington. It starts about 18 miles east of Enumclaw, crosses the Cascades, and comes out just NW of Yakima, and reaches an elevation of 4928 feet. We will run from west to east.

Trail details:
This trail is rated mostly easy with a few difficult to more difficult spots. If it is rainy and wet, obviously the rating will go up accordingly. It does have some tight spots and very steep hills, but I know of a few H1s that say they have done it, so we should fit. I have heard everything from 3 hours to all day for time to run the trail, so we will plan for a very full day. If weather permits we can take a short walk from the trail to see the cliffs. (see history below) At the top is Government Meadows, where there is a cabin that can be used for camping. It also is a short walk from the trail. If we come out the other side early, there are two places, Moon Rocks and Funny Rocks, that should be fun to play in. There is also no end of Forest Service roads to explore. If the trail gets to be too much for anyone, or too long, there are many jump off points onto Forest Service roads along the way.

Meet point:
Greenwater General Store
58120 Wa-410 E
Enumclaw WA 98022
360-663-2357

This is the last stop for gas, snacks, etc. We will meet here at 9:00 AM, with a departure time of no later than 10:00 AM. I have a feeling cell phones wont work well out there, so if you are running late try to get ahold of someone early to avoid being left behind.

Requirements:
A NW Forest Pass is required. A day pass is $5, or an annual pass is $30. They can be purchased from the Forest Service online, or they can also be purchased at the Greenwater General Store.

Recommendations:
Bring any recovery gear you have. Jacks, straps, etc. I will have a chain saw. I would bring some food and water, and maybe even some emergency camping gear just in case. We will be a long way from anywhere, so be prepared! First aid kits, fire starter stuff, extra clothes, would all be wise.

Communication:
CB channel 15

End of day dinner:
Gold Creek Restaurant
18431 SR-410
Naches WA 98937
509-658-2503

Misc. info:
Let me know if you are a "for sure" or a "maybe" and I will keep a roster here. When you are a "for sure," if you send me your name and number I will make a contact list for everyone so we can stay in touch if we need to.

Attendee roster:

For sure:
Scarsman ---- H2
H3slate ------- H3
Hummjay ---- H3
PNW-H3 ------ H3
kmug --------- H3
H2Jungle ----- H2
SGT-Wright -- H3

Maybe:

PacNWAg98 ---- H3
Guy with H1 --- H1

Last edited:

Scarsman

Sponsor
A little history:
The Naches is a historic pioneer route across the Cascade Mountains. It was an offshoot from the Oregon trail, and was originally intended as a shortcut to the Puget Sound, and followed an old established Native trail. The first recorded pioneer use of the trail was in 1841 when the military used it to go east from the Puget Sound. In 1850 a team set out to build a road over the pass, but they quit due to the heavy trees and steep ground.

Once Washington became a Territory, seperate from Oregon Territory, they looked for a faster way to reach the Puget Sound without having to go all the way to Portland and then north. In 1853 an effort was underway again to build a wagon road over the Naches Trail, with the goal to complete it prior to the arrival of the Longmire wagon train from Walla Walla. There were two teams, one working from the east and one from the west. The team from the east heard false reports that the Longmire train was not coming after all, and quit. When Longmire arrived, they found the road ended, and continued as just a rough trail. They chose to carry on, clearing a road as they went, and encountered very steep decents on the western slopes. These slopes are now known as "the cliffs." Scars can still be seen today on the trees from where they lowered the wagons down with ropes. Legend has it some of the ropes were made with the hides of some of their oxen, which they slaughtered for that purpose. Seeing how there was no Home Depot to run to for ropes, it seems quite possible.

Three weeks later another train followed the Longmire route, and the Naches road was established. It never became popular, though, due to the steep slopes and over 60 crossings of the winding Naches River on the east side of the pass.

In 1854-55 it was intended to improve the road, but it bacame clear that the Snoqualmie route was much easier, and the Naches route faded away. In 1943 a proposed road throught the Naches Pass was added to the state highway system. Washington State statutes currently show State Route 168 over the Naches Pass, but the road has never been built.

Last edited:

SGT-Wright

I was the maybe... My buddy has not told me if he was coming along or not because it was during a weekday, and I don't like to wheel alone. Someone has to hold the camera, or push if I get stuck :).
Have you found a way to see anything from the old forum? I was talking to a guy that was selling some parts, but how do I get a hold of him. Maybe after a while he will re-post the stuff on the new site.

(oops looked at the wrong month on the calander... It is on a sunday not a Thursday) I must be tired... Put me at the top of the maybe list close to the for sure.

Last edited:

HUMMER INVESTMENTS

[o O IIIIIIII O o]
I would come just to see both of your rigs! They are so awesome!:woohoo2:Though unfortunetaly out of my range, sometime i will pm you when i am in you neck of the woods!:huh::cheers:

PacNWAg98

Hi guys - I am a MAYBE & trying to make it work. Would love to meet up.

Looks like only a few of us at St. Helens this weekend - anyone else interested while the weather is still good :)

DAVE

Scarsman

Sponsor
Howdy strangers . . I'm in!

Cool! I was wondering if you were going to make it.

Looks like only a few of us at St. Helens this weekend - anyone else interested while the weather is still good :)

DAVE

Sweet. Hope you can do it. Should be really nice or you this weekend. We were going to do it, but I have a rifle match this weekend to go to. Too many hobbies! :)

Here are a couple videos of Funny Rocks and Moon Rocks, if we have time at the end of the day. If not, we will have to make a trip just for them some time.

[video=youtube;Yc3zIhvR_UM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc3zIhvR_UM[/video]

[video=youtube;Q1nk2KVxlGY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1nk2KVxlGY&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;o2rpXk33gDs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2rpXk33gDs&feature=watch_response[/video]

There's more on youtube.

Last edited:

kmug

DAVE

I really wanted to come for that but mom scheduled some big family event that day. Woman needs to work on understanding priorities.

Hummjay

Wild Thang

DAVE

I'm greedy so I'm doing both runs! :shifty: I'm glad you can come to St. Helens. Looking forward to meeting you. See ya' there! :)

H3slate

Brush raked
How would you rate Naches based on the 1-10 scale in this discussion: http://www.hummer4x4offroad.com/for...-Trail-ratings-and-minimum-required-equipment

It is hard to rate a trail that we haven't been on, but this was from the op

This trail is rated mostly easy with a few difficult to more difficult spots.

This trail has lots of opportunities to get back on a road if it gets too difficult or if there is damage to a vehicle.

As always, come prepared; bring food, water, warm clothes, trail recovery gear, tools, and spares for commonly broken parts. We don't wheel with the intention of damaging our vehicles, but it is best to be prepared for the worst.

Scarsman

Sponsor
How would you rate Naches based on the 1-10 scale in this discussion: http://www.hummer4x4offroad.com/for...-Trail-ratings-and-minimum-required-equipment

Well, like H3slate said, none of us have ever been on the trail yet. But from what I have read, seen videos of, and a couple people I have spoken too, I would put it at a 6 based on that scale. I think a lot of is probably more like a 5, but there are areas that will raise it up to a 6. That is my best guess. And, yes, there are many jump off points if it gets too bad, or gets to be more than someone wants to put their truck through.

I would reccommend removing nerf bars, if you have them, for sure. And make sure your UCP is all on. Also make sure your mirrors are working and will fold in and out! That is a must for wheeling up here in the NW!

Last edited:

Scarsman

Sponsor
Well, I have a guy with an H1 who says he's coming. I met him while working, and he has a 4 door with an aftermarket slant back shell. It is in the paint shop for some corrosion issues, and as long as it is out in time he says he is coming. Really nice guy and a nice truck.

Actually, if you look through the pictures in the THCI Colorado Divide thread this is him:

Attachments

• IMG_5044.jpg
    IMG_5044.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 129
Last edited: