• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Locker?

05Mudiak

I haven't seen this posted before and I searched everything I can think and haven't seen anything on it.

With being awd is there a reason you can't run some sort of mechanical locker. (truetrac, lockrite) something like that.

Not saying I want to do that just wondering if it causes and issue with the awd system?

Scarsman

Sponsor
Well, you could run one, but IMHO, based on my personal experience, a selectable locker is much better for a DD rig that sees the street a lot. If you are not in one of the 4 lock modes the center diff will allow slip between front and rear so it wont bind up like if you have it in 4 lock. But, if the locker engages you will notice it binding the rear axle when turning on hard ground.

My dad had a Detroit Locker in his '87 2WD Chevy, and it was fine driving down the road, and even turning sharp most of the time. Sometimes in winter if it spun a littl and locked up he might have to back up a little to release it.

Personally though, I think it is worth the extra cost to go with a selectable unit. They are easier on drive train components, since mechanical units require one wheel to spin in order to lock it up, which by its very nature puts a sudden impact on the other axle.

I am sure you will get more opinions from people with much more experience than me.

Ron B

I use a detroit and it can be a pain. It's a nice point and shoot deal (awesome offroad) and tough as nails but it's behavior on the street can sometimes be unsettling. I almost put one in the front too...glad I went with an auburn

Gunner_45

Super Moderator
Staff member
Back in the day, I ran a Detroit in a Ford 9 in.
Like the others, it worked great off road (except for muddy,off camber inclines -- Can you say crab walk)
On the street.....premature tire wear was was a given andthe most gawd awful noises would transmit up the driveline when the damn thinglet loose.
Not sure I would own one now for anything other than a mudtruck.......but.......back then, you weren’t **** unless you were running GateWay Gumbo Monster Mudders and a Detroit.

:)

05Mudiak

Yup figure all that much just thought it was wierd that no one ever brought up the subject. I thought maybe it had to do with the AWD system. But it looks like its just the normal on road complaints:thumbs: