• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Yet Another Alpha Cooler Thread

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
Sorry to start yet another Trans Cooler thread, but I've read numerous Trans Cooler search results and I couldn't find any results that were applicable to the Alpha. When my integral trans cooler failed and I had my transmission rebuilt they extended the warranty, so I didn't worry about bypassing the trans cooler in the radiator. Now it is time to bite the bullet and since I'm towing my camping trailer I want to make sure I get a cooler with sufficient cooling capacity.

Any recommendations on transmission coolers for an Alpha? Did anyone ever develop an upgrade kit?

JPaul

If you're just talking about the transmission cooler look at my build thread for my Alpha. No issues so far other than when it's cold out it takes a while to warm up. I'm going to put in a thermal bypass since it can get pretty cold here, and next year I'll be moving farther north. The cooler I used is the biggest one Long makes and the stacked plate is the most efficient cooler design.

Towed a popup tent trailer down to Moab last month and it never got over 180 I think even over the mountains. My 5 cylinder with the stock cooler would have overheated most likely, even with cold outside temps.

I followed Alex's tutorial for the install. Think it's named "something something transmission cooler thread 3" or something like that. Google "Hummer H3 transmission cooler install" and it should pop up.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

K0PIR

Long Tru-Cool LPD Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler 4589 24,000 GVW

I installed this one in my I5 and last year it got up to 220F on the interstate going through Iowa, towing nothing.

I have since changed the fluid in my transmission and I hope it helps, but the old fluid looked okay.

If it doesn't do better this spring I'm considering running it through the radiator (new) with the external.

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
Keep in mind external trans coolers are designed to augment the normal trans cooler. If you are going to bypass it, you probably need a bigger cooler. Is the new radiator an OEM radiator or something else?

K0PIR

Keep in mind external trans coolers are designed to augment the normal trans cooler. If you are going to bypass it, you probably need a bigger cooler. Is the new radiator an OEM radiator or something else?

Thanks for the comment, I was unaware of that and I thought the 24000 GVW rating was for this cooler stand alone. The description on their webpage said it was good for a SUV and towing a camper.

My new radiator is a Silla and it's been in for a year. The temp on it is around 190 normally. It has the transmission cooler in it.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
There are multiple good reasons to use the trans cooler in the radiator in series with a remote trans cooler:

Most remote trans coolers are intended to augment the internal trans cooler, so if you are going to bypass the internal trans cooler you need to use a much larger cooled.

In very hot conditions the transmission fluid coming out of the torque converter will be much hotter than the coolant in the radiator. The internal cooler will cool the transmission fluid much faster than air.

In cold conditions the internal cooler will warm the transmission fluid quicker than an external cooler with a temperature bypass.

The life of your transmission is an indirect function of the fluid Temperature, i.e. the higher the temperature the shorter the transmission life. Therefore, the optimum configuration is an internal trans cooler to cool the fluid down to close to radiator temperature followed by a large remote cooler to cool the fluid below radiator temperature, provided the internal cooler never fails.

Therefore the objective is to find a radiator with an internal cooler that won't fail.

I contacted CSF Racing technical support. Their radiator CSF #7061 is $499 and has a nice polished look. I was told that it is manufactured at their factory in Indonesia. They sell about 20 per month. They have had some leakage problems and I was told that they have experienced a couple of internal trans cooler failures.

I contacted Ron Davis sales department. http://www.rondavisradiators.com/radgallery.htm#Hummer Part Number 1-16H3T is $1095 and shipping is ~$60 to my area. They told me that due to all the trans cooler failures that the OEM radiators have had in the H3/H3T they choose to fabricate their trans cooler out of stainless steel. I was told that they have never experienced a trans cooler failure on an H3.

For the remote cooler I leaning towards Flez-a-lite 60029 Remote Mount Stacked plate 29-row transmission cooler with electric fan https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079RS3QT2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2F8QH83YSA2LG&psc=1 $265.47. I like the 60029 because it fits within the 11" x 11" dimensions tha Chook recommended and it is a stacked plate heat exchanger, which every knowledgeable Mechanical Engineer knows is the most efficient and durable heat exchanger. Also, the 600 CFM fan will augment the air flow at rock crawling speed.

Mr_Rich

Kinda interesting on that tidbit fact about the Ron Davis radiators using a stainless steel trans cooler. I know that auto trans use line pressures in excess of 100+ psi so I would certainly keep that fact in mind for the integrity of the system as a whole.

K0PIR

Long Tru-Cool LPD Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler 4589 24,000 GVW

I just got back from a long trip to Ohio. The outside air temp coming in was never above 80F (averaged 60F) and the transmission temp only got to 170F at it's highest. Most of the time it was between 140 and 150F. I don't have the skid plates on right now so that surely helped. Maybe the new fluid helped too, it was 50,000 miles or more on the old fluid.

Still bypassing the internal cooler, but I am going to hook it up when I start towing my camper.

cwedge411

i Run a solo Derale Cooler with fan as outlined in a post here and a big stall 3600rpm which heats up like a MOFO and it keeps up, but im looking at getting the new aluminum radiator to augment it as well