• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

winch

Ventury

Hello
I am new to being an H3owner but loving every mile so far,new to off roading to ,My son and i want to try Bundi hill near me in Michigan,as it will be just us i worry if we get stuck fast so i was thinking of buying a winch set up .As total newbis we are gonna get stuck,Any advice on winches or concealed winch set up would be greatfully appreciated
Any one near want company on an off road drive,we would love to join up
Ventury

rsc

Best bit of advice I can give you regarding recovery gear- Use another vehicle. Seriously, never wheel alone. Especially if you already are thinking you will get stuck. If you have the experience with recovery gear and how to use it, not to mention how to drive offroad, then things are different. Still, most will not go out alone because they are smart enough to know better.

Ventury

Thanks for the replies,appreciate it.Getting in touch with local like minded off roaders is proving hard,hence my thoughts of self rescue.This is also the first Hummer i have owned so as much as iam keen to see how it can tackle being off road,i respect the dangers of no knowledge,or even a little knowledge can be dangerous
I guess my next Q is ,is there any folk near Ann Arbor that are going off road and dont mind myself and my son followingg along
thankyou for the welcome Scoreh3
Ventury

GreatDaneHummer

Thanks for the replies,appreciate it.Getting in touch with local like minded off roaders is proving hard,hence my thoughts of self rescue.This is also the first Hummer i have owned so as much as iam keen to see how it can tackle being off road,i respect the dangers of no knowledge,or even a little knowledge can be dangerous
I guess my next Q is ,is there any folk near Ann Arbor that are going off road and dont mind myself and my son followingg along
thankyou for the welcome Scoreh3
Ventury

I am in Chicago IL and off road down at The Cliffs, Badlands in Indiana and at Redbird Mi. I am always happy to help out and will shoot you an invite next time I head to the badlands. Thor Parts "CJ" is in Indiana and he is most likely your best resource for all things Hummer close by. He also makes one hell of a front bumper / winch setup.

Ventury

GreatDaneHummer,,,thanks for the pointer,i will get in touch with CJ,
appreciated the future invite,i hear the cliffs are awesome This is the first Hummer i have owned or driven,its smiles per miles for me

woodwardsh3

There are plenty of jeeps an other 4x4 at bundy hil.l Go on the weekend, And im sure if you have any trouble there be plenty of help if need. It is a pretty busy place. You could meet some others in the staging lot that would be happy for you to tag along. Just use common seance and dont over do it And keep your eyes open for the bikes an quads. And you need a flag mounted to the front of your rig.
good luck an be careful.

rascole

There are not many winch set ups available for the 3 but you can find pretty much all of them installed here on H4O. It will boil down to what you think best suits you. They are all quality.

GreatDaneHummer

There are not many winch set ups available for the 3 but you can find pretty much all of them installed here on H4O. It will boil down to what you think best suits you. They are all quality.

How many different ones do ya want? lol There has got to be at least 10 or more different bumper / winch setups around. Just to name a few major ones:

Ironbull
Tough Country
Thor Parts
ARB
Fab Fours (slight mod to make work)
Predator

Ventury

Woodwardsh3,,thanks for the input,cant wait to get going ,My Hummer is a pleasure to drive,iam enjoying it way more than i thought i would.

GreatdaneHummer,i didnt realise there were that many front winch set ups,a local truck shop kinda led me to believe there were very few,

Bundy hill here i come
ventury

Ventury

Pappibi,,,,,,,thanks I will,this morning there had been an attempt to steal my Hummer,we live in a nice area and the truck is usually in the garage,they tried levering the drivers window down,caused some damage and stole the wing mirror can you believe it,so it's hunting for a door mirror tomorrow,,,,,glad I didn't catch them as I would be in Jail for taking the law into my own hands
ventiry

Last edited:

Ventury

Woodwardsh3...me to .i like a lot of folk started with nothing and worked hard for many years for everything I have ,it's a good thing they tried in my absence as I would either get hurt or I would be doing the hurting ,,,,,either way i loose
still summer is coming and I will get wheeling soon
regards
ventury

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
If you rolling by yourself and u think u may get stuck, pick lines with some kind of winching point with in reach of your winch line plus some straps to extend it if you carry any. With that said buddy system is probably best option.