• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

What's happening?

650Hawk

It seems like lately there are more posts than usual that involve new H3 owners having complex (or not) mechanical issues, and being taken to the cleaners by unscrupulous dealers/repair shops. I couldn’t figure out why, until I thought about it a bit.
Maybe what’s happening is that our beloved H3’s are reaching an age where the prices are finally coming down to a point where many who wanted a Hummer but couldn’t afford one, can now find them for a reasonable price. However, the same thing that is making them more affordable (age/mileage) is also making them more likely to have mechanical issues that need to be addressed. And as we longer-term owners know, H3’s can be a bit finicky and require some finesse (i.e. sunroof drains, battery cables, Passlock issues, etc). Additionally, parts availability is starting to be an issue, and "real mechanics" are becoming scarce, replaced by those who simply want to throw parts at problems, especially on older/rarer vehicles.

Anyone desiring to own/drive one of these wonderful trucks need 1 of 2 things; either a decent mechanical knowledge/ability, or pretty deep pockets (and those newbies who are finally able to afford an H3 are probably not in the “deep pocket” camp, so they’d better be mechanically inclined).

Or maybe I just have too much time on my hands to think about stupid ****?
rolleyes.gif

Korby7

I wanted an H3 from the day they came out but had to wait a few years for one to be affordable to me. I worked in the auto industry for over 15 years. With my experience, other peoples knowledge here and elsewhere online, I can figure most things out eventually. My H3 isn’t the best out there but it’s unique and I get a lot of people interested in building one for themselves. I advise them not to. I warn them, it has taken a lot of time, patience and money to get it where it is today and I still have things to work out. I’ve invested in specialty tools, scanners, spare parts and downloaded all the service materials I can find to keep it on the road for as long as I can. It’s worth it to me because it’s my dream vehicle that hasn’t turned into a nightmare yet. Also not my daily driver so that’s made ownership easier if anything comes up.

Can007

I agree 100%

1. This vehicle requires someone that is mechanically inclined/capable to perform your own work (that will save you thousands).

2. This vehicle requires due diligence before buying. My suggestion would be to aim for the alpha version.

3. This vehicle was well built with some poor engineering designs (roof leaks, windows regulator locations, this can be a long list but h4o has all the information needed)

4. This vehicle is rare and becoming even more so with time. This is truly like nothing else

5. This vehicle is for someone that wants something different from the regular run of the mill rig which come with a price!

6. Lastly, don’t get this vehicle if you don’t like getting attention.

Doc Olds

This forum is a bit different than the other....

There are more enthusiasts and off roaders here. The other is seems to attract tech questions from people that are looking for help like they would for their regular old daily driver.

I also make another observation as times have changed. When I was growing up there was no internet, no cell phones or all that chit that goes with it. I was a gear head, worked on minibikes, motorcycles and snowmobiles before I could get a drivers license, then worked on cars. Unless your parents were loaded, you drove whatever rolling POS you could get your hands on, and if you actually wanted to drive it you better know how to fix things and maintain it because otherwise you were riding your bike or takin the bus.

Today, many youngsters could care less about fixing anything, and if they need to they Google it for a video or a forum to ask. I showed my kids how to do the basics, even my daughter could at least do an oil or spark plug change. Beyond that, I get phone calls, their car shows up at home and my beater disappears.

That's whazzzzzz uuuuuup. 🤪

Jeepwalker

You guys pretty much nailed it!

I also advise people to get something newer like a Wrangler or Bronco. Most used H3's I see are in the 200k mi range, and that's about as long as these I-5's last. Buyers who would be interested in a pre-2010 vehicles, most don't have the time/skills/money/tolerance to keep on top of repairs. If I-5 engines could last 300k+ miles reliably, there'd probably be a lot more of these rigs on the street.

But it's refreshing when ya do see nice ones here and there where the owner is willing to keep it going. You almost have to be your own mechanic, or have deep pockets. That's pretty much what I tell people who ask about mine.

H3Hummer

That's exactly what i think, and why i do or try to do ALL by mi self on my 4x4. I only trust now in one old mechanic guy , who work on Oldtimers and old 4x4, if I can't fix a problem.
But i must say, in 18 years now, I 've had only the "normal" used parts to change, never a big unknown thing to do. I LOVE MY HUMMER that for.