• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Utah Newby

okcrewed

Member
Messages
15
Location
St George, Utah
Just picked up a one-owner, low mileage, 2006 H3. It will be our "National Park Cruiser", as we plan to get into the back country of some UT and AZ national parks and national monuments this Spring. It runs great, crushes the deep snow here, also luxurious enough to bring a giggle from the trail boss. All is good!

It has no roof rack, so I'm looking to purchase an OEM set of "cross bars". Any recommendations for a removable roof rack to attach to those will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Michael
Park City, UT
 

SlcHummer

Well-Known Member
Messages
368
Location
Salt Lake City, UT
Welcome from UT! 06 H3 here as well, although definitely not low mileage any more...just rolled over 156k miles lol.

I ordered some OEM cross bars from amazon but in my opinion they are not great quality and I'd look for better quality cross bars or a roof rack that mounts directly to the rails/tracks without the cross bars. Although that may not be a "removable roof rack", at least not in the amount of time you want lol. I've since had to secure/rig one of my cross bar ends with a carriage bolt because the POS plastic parts broke, hence why I recommend another route than that I took.

I have a Rola roof rack that has served me well so far, going on 1 1/2 years with a hi-lift mounted on back, although not permanently. I also typically don't mount anything else on top while rock crawling, only while camping and such. I don't remove my Rola roof rack but from what I can tell it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to remove, maybe 20 to re-install. Initial assembly and lining up the cross bars I'd say might take 1-2 hours, depending on your commitment to finish the job or finish your drink(s) ;).
 

okcrewed

Member
Messages
15
Location
St George, Utah
Thanks SoCal, Central Tx, and UT. Been to all, great locations! SLCHummer, I appreciate the input. Looking at a Rola, also, but won't decide on what I really need until after the first few camping trips. Might not need a roof rack, LOL! The cost of the OEM cross-bars is cheap enough that if they don't work out, oh well. I'm tempted to look at permanent installation roof racks, but want to see what clearance in underground parking is like first. If I don't need a roof rack full time, I don't want one just for looks.

Thanks again you guys! (Or gals?!?)
 

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Messages
10,672
Location
Scottsdale
Welcome to H4O! I may have a set of cross bars that you can have for $0. The rubber inserts were cut to allow my first hi-lift jack install so the cosmetics aren't perfect, but if you are putting a rack on that may not matter. If shipping, that would be your dime or they can come up on the Moab Parts Express over Easter.
 
Top