• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Upgrading Front Suspension Bushings etc

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
I talked to me service rep about the creaking noise I hear coming from the front suspension (after 54,000 miles) and he said that the bushings would probably need to be replaced. (For some inexplicable reason he thinks I'm hard on my T!) I'm planning to take it in and see what it needs, but I'm thinking that if the bushings do need to be replaced, I rather upgrade to tougher after market bushings rather that replace them with the standard GM (minimum quality) again. I figure I'll buy the upgrade bushings just encase they are bad, since I'm sure I'll need them sooner or later (I'm keeping this T until I die and they burry me in it, sorry Alex!). Any suggestions of what bushings I should buy? Also, should I buy the ACDelco 45D2432 Professional Front Lower Control Arm Ball Joint with grease fittings just encase they are bad?

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
alex has the ac delco front ball joints. Hes the only one I know of with real world experience with those ball joints so I am sure he can chime in.

Energy suspension may have a firmer aftermarket bushing for what we need, I think we would need specs on size first. Even then they can probably make what we need. IIRC they were accomdating with bebe.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I'd be curious as to what you come up with for aftermarket bushings. It's not as simple as simply getting some bushing material and milling it down to size. The rear lower control arm bushing is pressed into the frame - metal sleeve, surrounded by the bushing, then inside a larger sleeve, then pushed into the frame. The front bushing is more of a dumbbell shape - ears on each end, then about an inch of material the same diameter as the inside of the LCA, then a small waist section that allows it to flex when inserting it into the LCA, then it is nearly symmetrical to the other side. Basically I suspect that they are fairly unique products but I could be wrong since I haven't done any research on it.

It's a decent chance your ball joints are worn out, or at least close to it. As long as you have the front end disassembled you might as well replace the ball joints.

But if it's just creaking then lube will solve that. Is there any movement of the wheel when you have it on the lift? Or, for example, when my lower bushings were worn out the truck would pull to that side under braking.

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
Thanks guys. I'm not experiencing any slop in the steering or pulling on breaking. Maybe I'll start with a lub and see if that helps.

I am experiencing a ratchet like clicking in the steering. It started when I had the Scorpworks steering bracket installed. I'm thinking faulty installation, so I'm going to take it to Tustin Hummer for expert help.

I think I'll buy the ACDelco 45D2432 Professional Front Lower Control Arm Ball Joints to have on hand when I need them. If the lub doesn't solve the creaking I'll start looking for