• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Ultimate Adventure 2017

Panzer07

For those on Instagram follow Chris's copilot and friend kcdownhill he has some videos and pics of the event

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Guys,

I MADE IT HOME!!!! Squeaky did almost 1900 miles in one week, on and off road. What a week. It was a life changing experience talking with industry leaders. Every year they make up awards to compliment what you have done that week but one award stays the same. That is the Tom Boyd award. Readers dont usually get this award but Kyle and I got it! It is truly encompassing the UA spirit, not giving up through issues and problems. Thats how you get that award. Kyle and I literally killed ourselves with lack of sleep. Doing a cage, a custom steering axle from scratch, half doors, cooling mods, and general maintenance in a 4 week period. We burned up the gears during brake in without having fluid in it, pulling 2 all nighters to get it back together, chasing parts, etc. Missing check in, breaking cheap ass hubs I Knew I shouldnt have bought, kept on trucking, getting badass Yukon hardcore locking hubs and killing it on the last day. youtube Sand hollow joint effort, we ran that trail and it was gnarly!!! We put the H3 is spots that no one could believe. Kyle (my co driver) knows how squeaky wheels and is a kickass spotter and hows how squeaky works and it was amazing showing people what squeaky could do. When a UA Cronie ( long time UA helper) said that all the main UA guys were truly amazed at how squeaky did it meant the world to me. I put my heart and soul into this vehicle and it did everything I could ask it to do. You guys were all a part of the help throughout the years of believing a kid in a driveway with a dream could do. I truly appreciate it. Thank you for offering, time, help and parts in this time crunch.

I will post up daily updates when I get some time.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Chris I was with you on your first off-road trip and have taken many trips and done many trails with you including multiple trips to Moab. I have commented many times about how much you have learned and grown. It has been a pleasure watching you " grow up ". ( literally and as a wheeler ) I hope in some way that I ( and many ) of the other H4O crew have aided you along the way. I am not at all surprised that you won the award, I would have been surprised if you didn't win it. I am so excited and happy for you. No one could be more deserving.
i think a celebratory run through Pritchett Canyon is in order next April.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Chris I was with you on your first off-road trip and have taken many trips and done many trails with you including multiple trips to Moab. I have commented many times about how much you have learned and grown. It has been a pleasure watching you " grow up ". ( literally and as a wheeler ) I hope in some way that I ( and many ) of the other H4O crew have aided you along the way. I am not at all surprised that you won the award, I would have been surprised if you didn't win it. I am so excited and happy for you. No one could be more deserving.
i think a celebratory run through Pritchett Canyon is in order next April.

Thanks Dave! absolutely the original and even newer H4O crew has helped in many ways. Always pushing ideas around, offering help and support. I am so glad it worked out well.

Btw, a few magazine guys thought about buying an H3 back in the day. Rick Pewe still wants an H3T alpha and I got to speak with Fred Williams and "dirt head dave" from dirt every day about some ideas on building a badass H1. I talked about some ideas I would use to build one and it doesn't involve solid axles [emoji4] I think squeaky reminded the industry that hummer is still around even though they aren't made anymore.

speedy

Sir Welds a Lot
I MADE IT HOME!!!! Squeaky did almost 1900 miles in one week, on and off road. What a week. It was a life changing experience talking with industry leaders. Every year they make up awards to compliment what you have done that week but one award stays the same. That is the Tom Boyd award. Readers dont usually get this award but Kyle and I got it! It is truly encompassing the UA spirit, not giving up through issues and problems. Thats how you get that award. Kyle and I literally killed ourselves with lack of sleep. Doing a cage, a custom steering axle from scratch, half doors, cooling mods, and general maintenance in a 4 week period. We burned up the gears during brake in without having fluid in it, pulling 2 all nighters to get it back together, chasing parts, etc. Missing check in, breaking cheap ass hubs I Knew I shouldnt have bought, kept on trucking, getting badass Yukon hardcore locking hubs and killing it on the last day. youtube Sand hollow joint effort, we ran that trail and it was gnarly!!! We put the H3 is spots that no one could believe. Kyle (my co driver) knows how squeaky wheels and is a kickass spotter and hows how squeaky works and it was amazing showing people what squeaky could do. When a UA Cronie ( long time UA helper) said that all the main UA guys were truly amazed at how squeaky did it meant the world to me. I put my heart and soul into this vehicle and it did everything I could ask it to do. You guys were all a part of the help throughout the years of believing a kid in a driveway with a dream could do. I truly appreciate it. Thank you for offering, time, help and parts in this time crunch.

Damn Proud of you:cheers: Kid!!!!!

Stupid allergy's are acting up :whaa:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Thanks everyone! Rick I ran into harry Wagner. He did the article on Bebes H3. Super cool guy.

Expendable, I haven't seen anything on it yet and I said to him and dave, before you tell me what you did let me tell you what I would do to not steal ideas. This is a response to Dave as well. 2 door H1. Lightest one you can get and shrink it. Cut 10-15in off the wheelbase, try to narrow the rockers (biggest challenge) but basically take a shrink ray gun and shrink it down. 37s are big tires, but a long wheelbase makes em smaller. I can go on for hours on stuff but the short simple answer is shrink it.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Ok! There's 7 days and a preface...I'll start from the beginning, a lot of you know the story but for those that don't...

PREFACE:
I got the H3 in 2008....It was my dad's brand new off the lot in 05 when the whole family moved here from NY. I didn't even know how to wash a car when we moved to CA but I saw a lot of cool cars out west and started getting interested, I remember the first time I washed the H3. Hosed it down, walked away my dad was like what the ****?? lol I then learned and practiced. I started detailing everyone's car in the neighborhood to make some cash...and when it was my time to get my license I wanted a 90s Ford F-350 crew cab long bed. It would tow dirt bikes, buggies, quads or whatever my buddies had. It didn't happen, my dad knew the H3 was in good shape, the lease was up when I got my license and I got the H3 after putting a down payment on it from years of washing cars. I went off-roading for the first time fell in love. During that time I saw Ultimate adventure and wanted to be apart of it ever since. It's been about an 8 year process and goal. I knew a stock H3 wouldn't make it, that's not a knock at the H3. It's that way for everything. Almost every vehicle was scrapped of its factory axles. I knew I had a shot at getting in because an H3 is oddball and unique for wheeling. With that said, 8 years of wheeling, breaking, learning, fixing, upgrading, I would finally get to the point of feeling ready to enter. During those years I got a lot of hate from people. One guy wouldn't even acknowledge me when I showed up for a run in the H3. I knew what it was capable of, it wasn't a buggy but it was capable of a lot more then people thought it would do. During those years I met my co driver for UA, he left a note on the H3 when I was at school saying it was cool and let's go wheeling. He was one of the few that didn't think it was a complete piece of **** and we went out as underdogs, he was rocking a D35 on his TJ and I had the ifs on an H3 and would follow people way more built as far as we could. As the build progressed I was at a point where things were at a crossroads. I have 40's, it's proven as I just did a 9 trip season to hammers to play on the big rocks, just completed a 750 mile road trip one way to Moab and back with no real issues. It was ready for UA, the only things holding me back was lack of a cage and a potential fear from the UA guys running 40s on a Dana 44 and V8. That Ford hp44 and RCVs lasted a year of tough wheeling. I figured it would last. I wasn't in a rush to put a cage in, or swap the axle. It was working just fine. So I applied and figured if I got in it will force me to make the changes. So I did, and I got the call that I made the dirty dozen! During that call I was asked about the 44 and knew there was some fear about it being a problem so I said I had a 1 ton front in the garage ready to be finished. I didn't go into detail on purpose, it would scare people even more since it was a rear Dana 70 I got for free and a bucket full of Dana 60 outers and Chevy shafts. Anyways, I saw the other 11 and figured my shot was done. Well I got the call that I'm in! ****, now I got work to do....4 weeks till UA. I travel a lot for work and of those 4 weeks 2 of them I was away Monday-Thursday. I really only had weekends and a few weeknights. So my buddy kyle was responsible for the cage, I helped as much as possible, grinding, notching, etc but he was the man behind the cage. I was in charge of everything else which was building an axle from scratch, half doors, cooling mods since I was told it's gonna be hot! Aka AZ...and general maintenance. As we got ready we ran into issues. The D70 was running factory Chevy 60 outers and shafts which were perfect. I was concerned about my ruffstuff seals working but it did.

The D70 was 3.5in tubes and ID was roughly 2.64 I took 2.75in OD 2.5 ID slugs, machined it down to 2.64ish and hammered them in the housing, that allowed the 2.5in ruffstuff seals to fit and work. Did the same with a slug to extend the long side of the housing. Drilled holes for rosette welds and a big bevel to join the tubes together. I used ruffstuff brackets modified them to work with slip on rotors from a 02 2500 and H3 calipers since they kickass! Mounted sensors for abs. All was well, when I had to mock up brakes I got air in the abs module...I thought I was ****ed. I needed a tech 2 or some high dollar tool to get the air out. Redneck fix!!! A few days before UA I don't have time...jack all 4 tires off the ground. Run the truck up to 35 mph. MASH THE BRAKES. ABS goes crazy and bleeds air out. Then I did half doors all the other crap blah blah blah. It's time to leave, before I do it's time for a gear break in...with no oil!!! [emoji85] the bearings burn up obviously. Pinion bearing fused to the pinion. Pull an all nighter to get it apart which required a oxy torch. With no sleep we are tracking down parts. we get bearings, seals etc. of course the wrong ones show up it's now 2 o clock...check in is in 3 hours and the truck is apart 6 hours from check in. Call up Christian and tell him we're gonna be late. We could of reused the R&P but the splines on the pinion were kinda ****ed up. No one has a D70 R&P until we call up hoopers rear end in sun valley. They said for some reason they had one but usually don't. Fighting issue after issue and no sleep I literally wanted to punch a wall, cry and go to sleep. I wondered if my 8 year goal was going to end before it started. We fought and go it back together hit the road at 8-830 got into Az around 3am. Got 2 hours of sleep and was ready for the first drivers meeting...at that point Day 1 is beginning! The preface is over and I question, why do I do this to myself? How is this a hobby?

Last edited:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Sickness for sure!! I'm glad if everyone goes out and buys the magazines. Hummer may not be sold new anymore but it's still alive and I hope people see that.

I will post up Day 1 later. We planned a rubicon trip for next weekend wayyy before I knew about UA. cleaning up the H3, going over it, then next weekend is rubicon. After that it will have an easy life until October when hammers season starts. I'll try and make bishop too. Then it can rest...

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Bump, well UA is over but the fun didn't stop for squeaky. Ran the annual high Sierra trip we plan with some friends. We wanted to do fordyce but with the winter we had we played it safe and ran the rubicon! I just got home 2,995.7 miles in 2 1/2 weeks. Lots of highway, lots of dirt miles, lots of rocks, some dunes, even some mud. These past 2 1/2 weeks have shown me that squeaky is turning out exactly how I wanted it. She may not be the best at one thing but is very well rounded. I know I still need to do a UA report. I will also do the rubicon report.

On another note I did hit soup bowl and made it! I need to figure out what to do now that Photobucket has ****ed up...is that resolved yet? I've been out of touch.

I did bump an obstacle hard. Bent my t case skid and it hit the t case. It shot a piece out the side of the case! JB welded the broken case piece back on. Ran the rest of the rubicon and then drove 400 miles home.

That 4:1 has lived 6 long rough abusive years without skipping a beat. I could do a NP205 doubler or atlas but why? The 4:1 has been the only thing I never broke! I don't think it would have broke if the t case didn't hit the skid. The skid is steel, the t case is aluminum...what's going to win? I believe it deflected the case and broke it. It still finished the trail and got me home...another factory 4:1 will go in. I'm not mad about it one bit. Totally my fault...it's like being mad at a motor when you cracked the oil pan. 1/4in plate wasn't enough for the skid. It may be time to go 3/8 and add gusseting to strengthen it.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
The 4:1 case is pretty stout as long as you maintain it. My two failures have been a rock from the outside and a small internal failure I made into a big failure.

Chris, glad that your H3 landed exactly where you wanted it. You've built the H3 into a role model rig, much like ReconH3 has done.