• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Ultimate Adventure 2017

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
thanks for all the radio info guys! I'm not an expert, I bought a ham 2 years ago strictly for use on the rubicon and dusy in an emergency. Out of cell range, and far from help in an emergency I had it for that, I have been meaning to get my HAM license.

Alex, where will you be in LA? Did you drive or fly? When you will you in the area? I still have that crossmember too, I was going to ship it out then got stupid busy with this and found out my paths may cross with you guys since they said it's gonna be hot. Not sure what's hotter then the southwest...so I'm assuming thats where I'm headed

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Alex, where will you be in LA? Did you drive or fly? When you will you in the area? I still have that crossmember too, I was going to ship it out then got stupid busy with this and found out my paths may cross with you guys since they said it's gonna be hot. Not sure what's hotter then the southwest...so I'm assuming thats where I'm headed
No plans to be in LA, but would drive out if I could help. No rush on that crossmember since Dwaine's going to be in India soon anyway.

SuperBuickGuy

Sure, the rugged radio company has handhelds (which I used in the past) and mobile units (which I just received.) these radios are operating on a different frequency then a CB radio. They go much further. They do run on HAM channels which is one thing I don't understand...how they sell them to people without a license?

One additional thing is that these have access to race channels. I am not sure if a standard HAM does...my Yaesu doesn't go to the additional channels my rugged does.

Rugged Radio uses Commercial frequencies (155-160 mhz). Some of their radios also transmit and receive on Amateur radio frequencies. Licensing, on Commercial frequencies, a company buys right to use that frequency in a certain area - and the person who owns the license has the highest level of HAM license there is... if you do something wrong on his frequency, he gets in trouble. That radio DJ you like? has the highest level of HAM license (betcha didn't know that ;)) With me so far? okay, HAM licenses come in 3 flavors and they each relate to certain frequencies that you can use. Even if you have a HAM license, that doesn't give you right to use the commercial frequencies without permission for the one who has the master license.

I think Rugged Radio has issue - they're advertising to the masses, and while anyone can buy a radio (think Bao radios), it's only a matter of time before the complaints get so numerous (and don't ever fool yourself into thinking the Feds don't enforce these rules - they do, often) that they start limiting who can buy those radios. As they are the most visual of companies, they are almost encouraging people to ignore the law. As they said, pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered....

About distance, power doesn't necessarily equal distance. Atmospheric conditions, freqency and line-of-sight matter more. For example, I was running a trail and where I was compared to the person talking was at least 35 miles.... and he was using a 5 watt handheld. CBs operate at 29 mhz, technician licenses let you operate on 44 mhz, 144 mhz, and 440 mhz. Each of those higher frequencies - all else being the same - transmit further. General allows you to operate on the 10 meter band and will let you bounce your signal off the ionosphere - which allows you to talk to people on the other side of the world.

What kind of blows me away, though, is this - why not be legal? the test is not that hard and then you don't end up with a very expensive ticket and a criminal record... as to the why - radio frequencies, at the right mhz, will cook food.... don't cook yourself.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
No plans to be in LA, but would drive out if I could help. No rush on that crossmember since Dwaine's going to be in India soon anyway.

This is what makes the H4O community awesome! A 6 hour drive to help...if you were in the area I would say come on by. If I was wayyy behind I would say yes I need help come on by! I don't want you to drive 12 hours round trip, that's a lot but the offer is EXTREMELY APPRECIATED. That's what makes this place awesome.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
An update, was in vegas all week...had to work a booth for a convention. Had some fun after work :) should be home by noon, do some computer work and then the fun will continue....

I started writing that post never submitted it. Tonight got the hood vent done, new caliper (brakes still won't bleed!) gonna borrow a power bleeder tomorrow...wrapped up the cooling stuff, installing fans etc. mounted the new warn winch. Armored the diff cover. Fought 100 plus degree weather in the driveway, over tired and all so it was productive. Gotta catch some sleep then get work done tomorrow.

Only thing keeping me from driving is brakes

rascole

If you are using any type of vacuum on the brakes make sure you don't have a collapsed hose or kinked line. I would try next to disconnect the hose from hard line and see if there is flow from the reservoir.

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Chris, I will be in Solana Beach this Thursday. Are you close by?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I'll look for a kinked line. When I disconnected the Hose to swap out calipers fluid was coming out.

Luis, I leave for UA Wednesday!

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Thanks everyone! She is still not done, things are coming down to the wire. My brakes are non existent. Shes ready to drive, half doors are probably 40% done but thats ok since I still have Sunday-Tuesday to pack and finish up. Ive had the brakes apart before but its not good. disconnected the lines at the master, the rears are putting out good flow. Front's are not! I think the master is toast...but I know these things are a bitch to bleed.

I spoke with reloader and all the typical methods arent getting the job done.

I need to get a new master ASAP. I believe its the master or ABS pump. I may get both. Has anyone have experience with this? It may be a luck thing, maybe it was about to go out and it did right before the trip or maybe having no fluid in it screwed it up I am not sure...

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Rick saved the day! I will explain later but redneck engineering at its finest
I'm thinking it was something like this
fredflinstonebraking1-557f87e0f2728.jpg

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Rick said he had a similar issue with bebes H3 after they had the calipers off when they did her build. With a commerical sized bleeder it still took an hour to get it out. Also a tech 2 has an automatic bleed feature, it opens the ABS ports and allows them to bleed. Without an industrial sized bleeder or tech 2 it would take forever or be impossible! Sooo, all 4 wheels in the air on jackstands. MOVE ALL CARS NEARBY! Bring it up to 30-35 mph mash the brakes...ABS starts going crazy you hear it and feel it in the pedal. Ports open it pushes out the air. I then literally poured an entire bottle into the resi. Bleed them and I have feeling back in the pedal. Before I couldn't stop at 2mph it was so bad. Now I can stop at 40 but it still has some softness to bleed out but I know it's MUCH BETTER now!

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Update:
Tightened up the suspension, went for a drive, figured out brakes (see post above) half doors are done as in they just need smoothing, bondo paint.

Drive went well. Nothing too fast just local. Going to do a bigger test drive tomorrow. Leave on Wednesday still need bumpstops, not sure what else...pack I guess lol

New warn since they are the sponsor, MUCH quicker then the smittybilt and voodoo rope...

Cam can from daystar since we need extra few as we were told we may not be seeing a gas station for a few days...whatever that means :)

I'll get better picks of the D70 front but it's under there!

JPaul

I'm glad you were able to get the brakes working, that would've been terrible if that held you back

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk