• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

THCI / AM General CO/UT event Sept 12-20th

Kurt

I know a lot of folks are heading to the Black Sheep event in October, but for those who are local, or who can't make the Black Sheep event time, there's a few of us heading up to Durango and Moab in September.

Sept 12-16 in Durango, CO and 16-20 in Moab UT.

http://www.thehummerclubinc.com/Events/EventDetail.aspx?I=113

Fee covers some meals, permit fees, event insurance, a shirt, etc.

AM General is coming in force with tool and part trucks, technical staff to fix/repair trucks, and a few senior AMG folks.

Any attendees are welcome to attend AM General focus groups on the upcoming Humvee-C project.

It should be a neat opportunity to with and meet folks from AM General...

Right now there's myself and Franco heading up from Burbank with Eric and another friend who are tentative. We plan to convoy up to CO together from southern California.

Kurt

I was planning on going to Black sheep this fall but changed to the AM General event, interesting to see if AM General brings the humvee-c out or not.

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
Sounds really fun! I'd be afraid to go -- wouldn't want the H1 guys to sneer at me.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I've only done one event and it was a bit of an odd group at that event. For example, it certainly wasn't a one for all and all for one type of event and there was some, uh, resentment that H3s were not as capable as the H1s on the trails we were doing.

It was that discomfort, among other things, that didn't have me renew my THCI membership. I still think it's a good organization and I'm sure I'll do an event or two with them in the future.

HUMMER INVESTMENTS

[o O IIIIIIII O o]
I may or may not attend this event. It sounds fun for sure, but I don't really want to miss to much school, and might have to miss BSW. Hopefully will be able to join in April though.

jakesz28

I have considered this event. My wife actually found the info and emailed the link to me. I really want to go, but as a family event with a boy less then 2 years old I'm worried. Plus I would feel better if my vehicle was as capable as the other ones in the group. I know some of the jeep events have larger turn outs and they can split the vehicles up by mods and drivers ability.
What is the largest Hummer gathering you know if?

Last edited:

Sircode13

I wish I had found out about this earlier. I'm still interested in going to the Colorado event and meeting people from AM General, however I have to see if I could raise the cash for the fee.
:confused: :banghead: :)
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
The THCI event draws upwards of 50-60 trucks sometimes. The BSHS Moab event has had as many as maybe 30 trucks. The groups usually do break down into smaller groups based on who wants to run what trail.

Kurt

I have considered this event. My wife actually found the info and emailed the link to me. I really want to go, but as a family event with a boy less then 2 years old I'm worried. Plus I would feel better if my vehicle was as capable as the other ones in the group. I know some of the jeep events have larger turn outs and they can split the vehicles up by mods and drivers ability.
What is the largest Hummer gathering you know if?

The largest I've known off outside of Hummer Homecoming at AM General is probably the southern california toys for tots runs organized by Hummech.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL4_EkTCSPg

I know the HCI runs typically split up trail runs based on driver ability/difficulty.. I can't imagine them picking trails that a stocker hummer wouldn't be able to do.

Neo

Badfish
i ran with them a couple of years in a row after we moved . most of the members were great but you know what they say about a couple bad apples . when we first ran with just the 3 you could tell that some folks would rather not have 2's or 3's around . by the end of the week we ran poison spider with just 3's and a couple of 2's . the next year when i ran with the one it seemed like more people would talk to me ...

there are little clicks and stuff but that is bound to happen , i did witness a driver about kill himself and his wife when they missed a very critical part of a trail . the whole thing could of been avoided with a little better trail leadership from the spotter/leader . if you ever run hells with me you will hear the story , a lot of you know what i am talking about .

I must add that Dave Breggen is the coolest dude and will not let anything like what i mentioned before happen . he does'nt care what model you drive and takes great care of the people he leads . i would trust him with my life , he also owns blue hummer so is very knowledgeable just a great all around HCI guy .

Sircode13

The largest I've known off outside of Hummer Homecoming at AM General is probably the southern california toys for tots runs organized by Hummech.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL4_EkTCSPg

I know the HCI runs typically split up trail runs based on driver ability/difficulty.. I can't imagine them picking trails that a stocker hummer wouldn't be able to do.

I remember that run to the Marine base, such a great time, as well as all the other caravans hummech set up I've had the pleasure of going on.
:)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
there are little clicks and stuff but that is bound to happen , i did witness a driver about kill himself and his wife when they missed a very critical part of a trail . the whole thing could of been avoided with a little better trail leadership from the spotter/leader . if you ever run hells with me you will hear the story , a lot of you know what i am talking about .

Is this part about tower? Lol

Neo

Badfish
Is this part about tower? Lol

nope , that would not of hurt people but would of thrashed the vehicle . you know the steep decent after the hot tubs , some call it whales tail others call it dragons tail just before getting to escalator . it's where you have to turn slightly to the left as you go over the edge between the green lines , it's where i spot from about 100 yards below and i tell everyone its critical that they line up with the lines and if they go straight they are driving out over a little cave opening and droping into the void .

thats where a couple , from the city with maybe a hummer happening or 2 under their belt , drove straight off landed on the two passenger side tires went cross slope on two wheels after landing popping both those tires and gouging the rock with his rims before droping back onto all four tires . I saw this from about 5 trucks back and all i saw was the ass end of the 2 go in the air and drop away into nothing . looked like he was going to roll indo from where i was .

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is one correct path down and they took an alternate route. They survived but it could have been really ugly. Some places you can make a mistake and know the worst that can happen isn't all that bad. This isn't one of those places.

Neo

Badfish
its amazing the guy stayed on the two tires that popped and flopped back onto all four , had it flipped over it might of rolled a half dozen times before it reached the bottom ...

this pic makes it look flat , but trust me its a lot steeper than it looks . he drove straight out over that small cave to the left of the heeps in the pic got back over towards the rubber on two wheels and flopped back onto all four , got to the bottom and had two flats and a crease in his seat ...

dragonstail.jpg

Neo

Badfish
you can say the whole thing was drivers error for not getting out of their truck and looking , there's no doubt of that . but i also believe that if someone is paying for so called trail leaders then you have some obligation to maybe spot the less knowledgeable in the areas that there is a chance of something very bad happening .

Kurt

you can say the whole thing was drivers error for not getting out of their truck and looking , there's no doubt of that . but i also believe that if someone is paying for so called trail leaders then you have some obligation to maybe spot the less knowledgeable in the areas that there is a chance of something very bad happening .

I think that's a catch 22 situation. Ultimately the driver is responsible, not the spotter. I'm not afraid to ask for spotting help if I need it, or just get out and look and people need to be reminded of that on these runs. Usually my co-pilot does the spotting but often times its just me.

I'm not sure where the money is going because the spotters are volunteers. My understanding most of the money goes to BLM permit fees per truck, BLM mandated event insurance coverage, the t-shirts and the food.

Does this routinely happen with HCI events?