• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Sunroof Belt/Cable availability

08H3

My sunroof came to a screeching halt this weekend. The cable/belt is mangled and broken. I can't find it separately. Do I really have to buy the entire sunroof assembly for this one part? If anyone has a lead, I'd be most appreciative. Sorry for the bad pic. The big white glob is the remains of the belt covered in grease.

0006.jpg

rsc

You would probably still have leaks from a pinhole in the weld anyway. :(

CaseyS

How did you get to that? My sunroof recently quit opening more than a crack. That is likely the problem.

Gunner_45

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are there any kind of supplier tags on the unit itself?

As in, I doubt GM made the dame things.....so, if you can find the supplier, then maybe you can source the parts from them.

I have an old installation PDF that shows Signature Automotive Products as "a" supplier.

Model 925

http://www.signature-autoproducts.u...id=1888:hummer-h-3-2005-20104dr-suv&catid=175

Could be aftermarket, WTF knows.....but it is something.

Last edited:

08H3

Unfortunately there are no supplier tags of any kind. For some reason, I was thinking they were Webasto units, but I honestly can't remember why I had that in mind so it may not be the case anyway. Consensus from a local general repair shop and another that specializes in trim and sunroofs came up with the same thing-- gotta' buy the whole thing. I got a decent deal from gmpartsnow.com plus they are having a free/discount shipping promo right now. I just ordered it, will complain about the price for a couple weeks, then move on. If it happens again, the welder comes out! :)

650Hawk

Bummer. Nothing available in junkyards?

Pics of the removal & installation of the new one would be a nice thread here, for future reference!

08H3

How did you get to that? My sunroof recently quit opening more than a crack. That is likely the problem.

Casey-- I just noticed your question. I overlooked it before, so sorry for the 2 month delay. To answer your question, you have to remove the headliner (and all the other associated parts; upper trim, headrests, Onstar, etc.), and then the entire sunroof assembly unbolts from the roof. Once that is out, remove the motor from the assembly and the cable is located right there.

I still have the old frame sitting in the barn. If anyone wants the whole thing, or parts off of it, let me know. None of the individual parts are available separately, so if you happen to need something, this will save you from buying the whole assembly. Shipping the whole thing is going to be cost prohibitive, but if you want to pick up, that's fine. Located near Fort Wayne, IN.

08H3

Did you put a whole new unit in?

I put in a new "frame" as GM calls it (P/N 25895795). This consists of everything EXCEPT the motor, wiring harness, glass, and sunshade. If your sunroof won't move, I would guess that in most circumstances it would more likely be the motor instead of the cable like in my case. Unfortunately you still need to go through the same procedure to get it out and check. The motor P/N is 10377047 if that's what you need.

Woodtick

To add more confusion to this thread....... My 06 was under a factory warranty a few years ago. Before I dropped my 3 off at the dealer, I cleaned the mud out of the tracks of my broken sun roof. ( self inflicted sun roof failure) They couldn't get the parts to fix it from GM. There was a few design changes in the short H3 run. As I recall? They put in the newer design back in because nothing was available. They had to replace the entire unit because no parts were available for the new or old designe. The dealer couldn't believe the cost. The system cost $1800 with out the glass.

08H3

To add more confusion to this thread....... My 06 was under a factory warranty a few years ago. Before I dropped my 3 off at the dealer, I cleaned the mud out of the tracks of my broken sun roof. ( self inflicted sun roof failure) They couldn't get the parts to fix it from GM. There was a few design changes in the short H3 run. As I recall? They put in the newer design back in because nothing was available. They had to replace the entire unit because no parts were available for the new or old designe. The dealer couldn't believe the cost. The system cost $1800 with out the glass.

Yeah, that's exactly what I found...there are no individual parts available other than the glass, motor, and wiring harness. Just the whole assembly. I think $1800 is about right if you add the prices of all those parts up.

Woodtick

I just remember the top end being done and the sun roof being replaced a month before the warranty was up. I had a loaner for weeks. All the work they had to do was half the value of the truck. I didn't play the lottery for a while after that. Lol

4speedfunk

Piece of 22ga steel = $10
2 hours to shape and form it = $free
1 hour of welding = $free
4 hours of bodywork =$200
base model headliner = $???

Done, and fixed forever.

CharlieG

I found a solution which worked for my H3. After a great deal of research and digging through dealership parts shelves... I finally found that the 2009 to 2014 Tahoe/Escalade sunroof drive ribbon cable matches my 2008 H3. Even the carriage arms are the same. I think prior years of Tahoe and Escalade must have used the old style steel cables. There are some models of newer style Lexus/Toyota which are also the same, and I know folks who have used a Lexus motor to successfully replace their damaged H3 sunroof motor. I was fortunate today to find a new 2009 to 2014 Tahoe/Escalade "ribbon cable drive replacement" which only comes in pairs and includes the new sunroof carriage arms as well. I found it on eBay for $100. I don't need the carriage arms, but I can easily unsnap the ribbon cables and slide them into my track and resnap my existing components to it. Good luck. Go save some money and stay dry!

I am not sure how long these will be available, he had 36 of them from where he had bought out a closeout of the complete sunroof assemblies and he was breaking down the parts to sell individually. But dig around, the GM new style is the same as used on the H3, the Lexus/Toyota appears to be also... none sell separately from the dealership, but by digging around on line and through salvage yards the parts are much less expensive for the Lexus/Toyota/GM parts where there are a glut of cars... as opposed to the limited supply of the H3 available.

I posted a thread in the H3 forum regarding the H3 sunroof cable ribbon alternative solution.