• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Steering Rack Fixed!!!!

reaper

This job was a PAIN in the butt with the Rancho lift. See the bolt on the left hiding behind the crossmember? That one SUCKED. It took me 8 hours to remove it, swap the bushings, and throw it back on there. I used the Outfitter Design steering rack fix which comes with Delrin bushing replacements for the drivers side as well as an aluminum brace for the passenger side. I'd highly recommend it, although dropping the rack and putting it back is a huge pain. 2013-07-06 001.jpg 2013-07-06 003.jpg

4speedfunk

Agreed. Rancho should have notched their crossmember so you could access the rack bolt. I just did the same Outfitter Design fix to a stock H3, Sunday morning. While you don't have to drop the Rancho bracket (which is nice)...you've got 4" less room to work with. Well worth the hassle though...steering is much improved.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
My rancho crossmember is notched and I highly recommend doing it in the future.

With the notched crossmember it is easier to change a rack then a stock H3 with the added room the rancho kit provides.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
thanks guys! It was extremely necessary in my mind, I actually got the idea from 4speedfunk. We talked about it and he was going to do it but then went to a solid axle. I am probably the first to do this but I think all of them need this done! I was going to cut it out and weld in the half of a tube myself but when am4x4 test fit his steering rack fix he did it for me. If anyone in so cal that doesnt weld let me know and I can do this for you. It will save hours on swap time!!!