• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Rubicon 2015...

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I am starting my trip thread now, I will post pictures along the way to the rubicon, maybe some poser pics with bebemonster and pics after the trail of course. First of all I want to say its been a LONG time to get the hummer in a state where you feel confident. Watching recon and bebe evolve their H3s you quickly learn to realize it takes a good amount of test time. The solid axle swap should have been tested and fine tuned by last February. Then my motor blew, with that the V8 swap came along and I had fine tuning to do between both of them, it takes a lot of work! Fine tuning bumpstops, shock valving, engine bugs, etc. Its been a long road. Now this trip is Rubicon or bust I guess. I would say its the maiden voyage for the SAS and V8 as hammers was kind of a bust not due to the SAS but due to the v8 swap but the SAS has been much better since then with more fine tuning. So drive 400 something miles to the rubicon, wheel the rubicon and drive home, or thats the goal. If I fail, I fail and will continue to fine tune and work out the bugs but o well, here goes nothing.

Leaving on Tuesday, 4 days left including today. A lot has gone on prepping for this trip for all vehicles. Squeaky for once had the smallest list, replace a broken rock light, wire up my electronics, pinion preload issue, and swap out the steering box.

My brothers was to build a long arm and reroute exhaust due to long arm, tie rod ends, new diff cover because his old one was destroyed and leaking.

My buddy in his TJ was an aw4 trans swap (while this wasnt done just for the trip it was done to get confidence in driving long distances ditching a 3 speed RPM screaming trans for a 4 speed) it involved pulling the trans, integrating an electronic trans into a factory harness that didnt control the trans and spent a few nights with my buddy soldering and reading electronic schematics, get the driveshafts lengthen for the front and shortened for the rear due to new trans length, install a detroit locker. The trans setup has about 1000 miles on it already.

On top of that I had to put together/do a few things. Get my California fire permit, put together a 4x4 spill kit, get a HAM radio because its the only form of communication and get some other camping supplies such as portable bathroom situation if needed.

Squeaky is done. TJ sits on jackstands awaiting to button up the 8.8 detroit locker install (was up till 2am installing it) and the JK is at the exhaust shop waiting to be finished. Squeaky was also washed for the first time in like 2-3 months :)

So whats left is wait for the JK to get done, go to storage drop off the doors and hardtop for him, button up the TJ and pack!

Tuesday is drive up to Bebes she will speak with us, give us some maps and catch up. She cant make it due to work but the trip will still continue.

Wednesday hit the rubicon! Probably enter at wentworth springs? Will talk to bebe about that.

Thursday is the rubicon

Friday hopefully finish the rubicon

Saturday drive home

Only concern is running it without someone who has ran it before and communication if theres an issue (maybe rent a SAT phone.) Luckily its summer so by friday night/saturday there should be people on the rubicon if issues arise.

Thats about it! Cant believe the rubicon is almost here, we have talked about this for years.

Here are some pics

detroit install

All clean!

Made my spill kit, 2.5 or 3.5 gallon bucket, towels, absorbent pads, kitty litter, shovel, gloves.

slit my damn fingernail in half.

Mocking up long arm

13 year old sister welding for the first time

Glad we beefed up the control arms....

messing pinion preload

Lastly the vehicles,

06 H3, Dana 44 up front, 5.13s, 37s, locked front and rear, 4:1, v8

08 4 door jeep JK, supercharged 3.8, dana 44s, 5.13s, 7.4:1 low range with doubler, 37in KM2s, locked front and rear

02 Jeep TJ, 35in KM2s, aw4 swap, dana 30 front, ford 8.8 rear, locked front and rear, 35in KM2s

We have spare shafts, spare hubs, spare ball joints, spare driveshafts, spare power steering line, I'm sure I am forgetting more...

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Good luck to all you utes! Can't wait for trip reports and pics. Should be an unforgettable experience.

SuperBuickGuy

Love how prepared you are for the trip. I lived in Reno for a couple years and wheeled a most-stock 59 FJ40. I played on the Rubicon a lot, and I'm afraid you'll be disappointed because it's challenging (and can be really tough depending on the line) but your rig is so good that I'm actually afraid you'll be a bit bored.

can't wait for the pics, and safe travels!

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
It can't be that boring :) it's funny you hear guys with built rigs talking about how tough it is and guys with little rigs saying it's easy...sounds like it's very line dependent and I doubt the little guys are hitting soup bowl and stuff like that. the views alone will be worth it.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Hopefully better then hammers owl...lol

Checked and made sure all bolts are tight, then flexed her out. Starting to line the garage up with all the gear. I have work tomorrow then tomorrow night load up get a goodnight sleep and head out around 7-8am then catch up with Rick and Bebe at the "NorCal Blacksheep outpost" :giggle: with so many trails up there it could be a summer thing to get some people out there for a few days :)

I can't wait! Squeaky and the jeep will be driving. My buddy is picking up his uncles duramax and trailer tonight to trailer his jeep out there on Tuesday.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Work is gonna drag today....lol

Last night I flexed out nicks jeep and the long arm we built kicks ass! Takes much less effort to get it to flex out. Before with all the stock bushings it was inherent binding all of that is gone! Also the drive up there for him should be easier to maintain speed on freeway climbs with a blower coming out of the hood

Cowboy

You guys are well set up. I have done the Rubicon several times. With my CJ7, not the Hummer. Epic.
My 4 wheel drive club in Concord ( Diablo 4 wheelers) has about 130 members. If you get in a bind, let me know somehow. I will personally guarantee a rescue party if you need it.
Get to Buck Island lake for mid trail camping, it's beautiful. Hold out to Rubicon Springs for bio break (vault toilets)!!!!
Don't forget. NO CAMP FIRES! Fire restrictions in place. You need a permit to use cook stoves and lanterns. You can print out fire permit from our club we site. http://diablo4wheelers.com/#2870

Couple of note worthy point of Rubicon.
You can stow your toe rig at Ice House Inn. It's $15 a night, but they will keep an eye on it for you.
Once you get to granite slab area, take the time to adventure around a bit. Lots of fun stuff there.
Do not drive more than 20' off trail to camp.
Use wag bags. (Personal toilet- pack it out)
There is a Sheriff patrolling trail. Nice guy. Say Hello

Mitch
Call me if you need me, or just more info
510-867-7954

Can't make it through the day? Back up, and get a run at it!

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Thank you!!!! I appreciate it, I'm driving out my buddy is towing but he's gonna keep his trailer at bebes but that's a great plan b.

I've got my wag bags and "Rubican" along with a spill kit

Also have my fire permit and camp stove :)

LagunaH1

Thank you!!!! I appreciate it, I'm driving out my buddy is towing but he's gonna keep his trailer at bebes but that's a great plan b.

I've got my wag bags and "Rubican" along with a spill kit

Also have my fire permit and camp stove :)

Yeah yeah yeah... but...

Did you bring your GREASE GUN ?

:hans:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Grease gun will not be in attendance this year! I let a friend borrow it to grease up his tie Rod ends...not sure I will ever see it again :(

Zach

Mall Crawler
Grease gun will not be in attendance this year! I let a friend borrow it to grease up his tie Rod ends...not sure I will ever see it again :(

Wtf? I thought that thing never left your hand. Any chaffing yet? [emoji15]

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Lol no chaffing yet. We will see after I get back...all packed up and ready to roll out tomorrow morning. Might pull the driveshaft unlock the hubs and put it in 4hi lock and see what kinda mileage I get.

bebe

Love how prepared you are for the trip. I lived in Reno for a couple years and wheeled a most-stock 59 FJ40. I played on the Rubicon a lot, and I'm afraid you'll be disappointed because it's challenging (and can be really tough depending on the line) but your rig is so good that I'm actually afraid you'll be a bit bored.

can't wait for the pics, and safe travels!

Unless you're in an Ultra 4 Buggy - you can't get bored.

Every obstacle has several lines. If you are looking at them with fresh eyes, it's a whole different story. I'm bummed I couldn't get the time off, but will make sure he's set up for success. We have many eyes and ears on the trail, he'll be fine. I will let Mid Trail Staff know he's on the trail. If something happens, I doubt he'll wait for more than an hour before help arrives :)

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Thanks for all the back up! About 125 miles down a couple hundred more to go...getting good mpg driving 60 mph behind my buddy who's towing. 14.2 mpg loaded down.

I'm stoked! Not many trails have had people visit from all over the world for this many years so it must be special, I don't get bored off-roading on easy trails yet alone a legendary trail for the first time