cathairez
Member
- Messages
- 9
- Location
- Evergreen, AL
I have a 2008 H3 Alpha. It has around 190k miles and is developing quite a bad oil leak. I tried the UV dye, only place the dye ever showed was the back oil pan bolt on passenger side. It wasn't as tight as the others, snugged it a bit and it seemed to help for a time. Then puddles started appearing again under the vehicle. I did a lot of googling, it suggested the oil sensor on top at the back of the intake (was dry no visible oil) and the valve cover with there being a recall on the pcv valve (clogs and supposedly causes leaks). I bought both the sensor and the revised valve cover as they were easy to put on, with the amount of oil it's started losing I really just did it because they were cheap easy parts and hoped I'd earned enough good karma (from decades of animal rescue), but I hadn't.
I tried looking around for replacement engines, so I could have one ready to swap one weekend (assuming I'm not sick/in hospital). I didn't want to pull mine, tear it down, have to find out what needed machining, boring, balancing, etc., then order the rebuild kit, then wait, then hope for good weather, etc. I cannot find a 5.3 LH8 engine anywhere. I've seen the DOD kits and from what I think I understand, you can take an engine from say a Silverado (please be gentle if I'm wrong), install the DOD kits, and be good to go?
Are there any other vehicles besides the Canyon and Colorado that had the same engine? What would be the best alternative 5.3 and which DOD kit would I need? Looks like there are a bunch of different kinds, brands, etc. Would it the computer need tuning or programming as I just want it to be stock, but a different engine would have different cam and such correct?
Sorry for all the questions, just trying to sort things out. I've only ever built one engine, an older 350 from the 80's and it wasn't bad. This seems to have a lot more potential for a screw up without proper planning.
I tried looking around for replacement engines, so I could have one ready to swap one weekend (assuming I'm not sick/in hospital). I didn't want to pull mine, tear it down, have to find out what needed machining, boring, balancing, etc., then order the rebuild kit, then wait, then hope for good weather, etc. I cannot find a 5.3 LH8 engine anywhere. I've seen the DOD kits and from what I think I understand, you can take an engine from say a Silverado (please be gentle if I'm wrong), install the DOD kits, and be good to go?
Are there any other vehicles besides the Canyon and Colorado that had the same engine? What would be the best alternative 5.3 and which DOD kit would I need? Looks like there are a bunch of different kinds, brands, etc. Would it the computer need tuning or programming as I just want it to be stock, but a different engine would have different cam and such correct?
Sorry for all the questions, just trying to sort things out. I've only ever built one engine, an older 350 from the 80's and it wasn't bad. This seems to have a lot more potential for a screw up without proper planning.