• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Recent H1 Open Top Rollover

LagunaH1

Hard to feel sorry for some people. He is very knowledgeable and will and can repair the truck but the things he does do not make much sence to me.

He does seem like an pretty nice and knowledgeable guy but I just don't get why he does some of the things he does

Ron B

momentum is a bitch even on angles less than one's max...as mentioned above, a little skinny pedal and steering down hill (if one could react fast enough) may have prevented that and/or lessened the damage.

Yes, Eric is cra cra and outspoken but a nice guy. I think he built that truck up from a real pos in under two months -- and has a new steering system that I would love to hear some real world feedback on (looks like it holds up well to summersaults).

rb

HUMMER INVESTMENTS

[o O IIIIIIII O o]
Eric is a good friend of ours, and always seems to have good storys to tell. Yes, to most of us, youd think hed be more careful, but he seems to really like to beat it down, but also knows his stuff about Hummers, and is one real good mechanic on them. This July our H1 will be getting the steering system that is on his truck, and some other things. Other than the roll over during the trip, how hard he drove it, he didnt have to change out an steering parts. Other than that, he is a very knoledgable guy, and knows his stuff. He doesent ever really take spotting, but on that obstacle he checked with two guys that where sitting on the rock, then let of the brake and over he went:gaah:. Whatever point of view you look at it, you can agree that it does make an interesting story, and the rest of their trip should be interesting as well when the movie of their trip comes out.

HUMMER INVESTMENTS

[o O IIIIIIII O o]
Steering system will be around 2-3k, and the modifcation that is done, sounds to be drilling and welding certain parts to make it work. When it is actually getting the steering system installed, ill get him to send some pictures. Sounds like since he didnt break any steering components on the trip, that it should hold up very well for us.

Expendable

damn 2-3K?

I think I would rather pony up that much plus the difference to get a rear steer kit than do that upgrade. that's my opinion though.

HUMMER INVESTMENTS

[o O IIIIIIII O o]
Yeah, well for some odd reason weve been going through steering parts a lot, and imo i dont think we abuse the truck really at all. But i guess will see how it works.

Ron B

Thanks for the info...the steering is a real weak link in our trucks, especially with bigger tires and hard wheeling. In the long run $3k isn't that much.

The rear steer kit is tempting, though I am still a bit nervous about that one without trying one out -- I also have some safety concerns that need to be put to rest.

Expendable

Yeah, well for some odd reason weve been going through steering parts a lot, and imo i dont think we abuse the truck really at all. But i guess will see how it works.

Hmmm, there's got to be a reason the truck is eating up steering parts.

Thanks for the info...the steering is a real weak link in our trucks, especially with bigger tires and hard wheeling. In the long run $3k isn't that much.

The rear steer kit is tempting, though I am still a bit nervous about that one without trying one out -- I also have some safety concerns that need to be put to rest.

I would be more afraid of cracking the frame with the upgraded steering kit. I mean frames already crack with the stock steering setup I wonder how the frame will hold up to this new setup.

Dave Breggin and others have put thousands of miles (if not tens of thousands) more on the rear steer kit that Blue Hummer once offered. So personally I'm not worried as much. But I definitely see how you have worries about the safety of a rear steer kit.

Ron B

Hmmm, there's got to be a reason the truck is eating up steering parts.

Dave Breggin and others have put thousands of miles (if not tens of thousands) more on the rear steer kit that Blue Hummer once offered. So personally I'm not worried as much. But I definitely see how you have worries about the safety of a rear steer kit.

Nothing against Dave...my truck is loaded with his stuff. But...now that I think about it, I think there might be a safety pin that can be inserted into the linkage for safety/hwy travel? I haven't talked to Dave about this mod since it came out, but I think he puts the pump in the rear pass side wheel well which is already occupied by an airtank for my bags -- so I'd have to re-locate the tank or the pump to the bed (nope) or do something with the exhaust and put it on the other side(?).

Not being thrilled with my rock ram, I think the new steering system might be a solid upgrade -- time will tell. Though it's easy to start chasing one's tail when doing big mods like this...one thing creates a problem so that is beefed up creating another problem so that is beefed up creating more wear somewhere so that is upgraded, etc...

circle of life :)

Expendable

Nothing against Dave...my truck is loaded with his stuff. But...now that I think about it, I think there might be a safety pin that can be inserted into the linkage for safety/hwy travel? I haven't talked to Dave about this mod since it came out, but I think he puts the pump in the rear pass side wheel well which is already occupied by an airtank for my bags -- so I'd have to re-locate the tank or the pump to the bed (nope) or do something with the exhaust and put it on the other side(?).

Not being thrilled with my rock ram, I think the new steering system might be a solid upgrade -- time will tell. Though it's easy to start chasing one's tail when doing big mods like this...one thing creates a problem so that is beefed up creating another problem so that is beefed up creating more wear somewhere so that is upgraded, etc...

circle of life :)

Here is a link from Dave's site about the rear steer kit. doesn't mention anything about a pin for highway travel but that link is only for preparation if one is considering getting one. and also reviewing the Dave's site, it looks like the rear steer kit is sold out. and with Charles on a 10 year walk-a-bout I doubt that kit will be available anytime soon. But I did notice in the link that the pump does have to be mounted in the passenger fender well (though that is the default mounting area for the kit)

I enjoy seeing others upgrade their trucks but for me and my truck I will try to stick to the route of staying as stock as possible to minimize wearing out of parts.

Ron B

I enjoy seeing others upgrade their trucks but for me and my truck I will try to stick to the route of staying as stock as possible to minimize wearing out of parts.

smart. I do not think I will go too much more myself unless it becomes a trail truck only and I trailer it to the trails...then I might as well have a Scorpion or buggy like that.

Zach

Mall Crawler
Any size of the Scorpion would be a kick in the ass to drive. I am amazed with what they can do. After seeing it take the high end of Hells Gate on a huge side slope to winch a 3, I was even more impressed. If only I could win the lottery now lol

Timgco

Hugh Hefner
Eric breaks more stuff than the entire H1 community apparently. One of the only guys I know who brags about how much **** he breaks. I think he likes to think of it as extreme wheeling. Most of us call it something else.
lol, couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. :wink: