• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Question regarding scheduled maintenance on H3

reignla

Probationary Member
I have a 2008 H3 Alpha. I've had several problems that were fixed under the warranty. I live in CA and use my H3 for commuting only. I am always up to date with scheduled and preventative maintenance. I am the original owner and all work has been performed by the same GM Dealer where I purchased my H3. Today, I went in for an oil change and the dealer told me I am due for service. Having just spent $800 on maintenance at 63500 miles, I asked the dealer to clarify what was done previously. Dealer looked it up and said I needed the following (which I reluctantly ended up agreeing to). Today 12/27/13 at 85,500 miles, service performed: Fuel Injection Svc, Differentials - drain and fill, Throttle Body Svc and cooling system fluid exchange.

After I got home, I went through my service records and I had the following performed on 3/7/12 at 63500 miles: Fuel Injection Svc, Differentials - drain and fill, throttle body svc, transmission and differentials. Needless to say, I am very upset. Before I call the dealer, I want to know if there would be ANY way I would need these services twice within 12K miles? I take my H3 to the dealer to avoid things like this. Please let me know your input, thanks

digglesworth

Without having the owners manual in front of me, I'd say those services sound more like every 30k miles. Some will might say more on some of the stuff. I don't see the inj serv as being so critical. Especially if you use top tier gasoline. I'd just run a bottle of techron through the tank every once in a while. And what about your transmission and transfer case? Wonder why they didn't suggest those too... That is all stuff you could do on your own for the cost of the fluids if your capable of changing your own oil. For way less than $800. I prefer not to do the transmission bit I've done all the other fluids in the driveway. You could call the dealer but you authorized the work. Unfortunately, dealers aren't as honest or concerned with our well-being as we'd like to think they are.

chad

I was looking at my manual earlier and most services are done at the 50,000 mile mark. I'd say they took advantage of you. I never go to shops unless I absolutely can't do it my self because of charges like that. Been burnt way to many times by dealers in the past when I was looking for a quick way on repairs.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
There's NO reason to have these done twice in such a short interval. Heck, some of those services are not even in the owner's manual, so they are not "required". If you got those things done every 50,000 miles you'd be taking good care of your H3.

amrg

My dealer does a transmision oil change every 25k miles. Differential service none up to 60k miles. A friend of mine who owns a workshop recommends a radiator flush once a year and diff service every 2 years (assuming u do 25k miles a year)