• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Oil light with chime comes on

Aridgerunner

The oil is coming on after fully warm on a hot day. No problem in the winter. So I figure I've got worn rod bearings and maybe mains too. My question is can the oil pan be removed without removing the engine. If so I might consider replacing just rod bearings.

Thanks once again for your help.

Happy Hummer

Jmho but that is a big leap. Have you changed oil filter, oil brand or oil viscosity?
Also, you may need a different oil weight now that your hummer is broke in and older.

Happy Hummer

I would check the screens on your vvt cam actuator at front left side of engine [ you facing front of engine bay].
I know they can be dislodge.

Aridgerunner

Jmho but that is a big leap. Have you changed oil filter, oil brand or oil viscosity?
Also, you may need a different oil weight now that your hummer is broke in and older.
I have been using the same oil (Vavoline 5w30) for the past 15 years. The engine has 137000 miles on it. It's due for a change in 1500 more miles. I thought changing to a thicker oil is not allowed because of the VVT cams that use oil pressure to change the cam timing. If I'm wrong on that then I'll gladly change to thicker oil.

Jeepwalker

It very well could have low oil pressure. It's not the brand of oil -- Valvoline is top-rated oil. Low oil pressure is pretty common on these...but usually not till closer to 200k. The other reason (in some cases) is the timing chain plastic breaks up and clogs up the oil pick-up screen usually at sustained higher engine speeds. You'd probably hear louder chain noise if that was the case. But worn bearings is the usual culprit, possibly a weak oil pump. GM wisely use aluminum bearings. The best course of action to see what you have, would be to get an accurate oil pressure testing gauge 0-60...or something like that (notice mine below is a 0-30 calibrated gauge), remove the oil switch and see what the oil PSI is under the same (warm) conditions you determined earlier. Takes an 18mm adapter (buy off ebay). You can use a simple and cheap grease gun hose with a liquid gauge, and some brass hardware store fittings. Make sure you bleed the air out of the hose/gauge too. A lot of oil pressure Test gauges ya buy are 0-150psi. That's a wide range if your oil psi is 10! Gauges read more accurately in the center 1/2 of their range. Change the filter and oil & repeat and see what happens. It's possible the filter is plugged....but that's wishful thinking. Have you checked compression too? Often the center cylinders burn a valve... I have one which is bout 75psi. It may go up off idle, IDK.

The oil pressure is low on my H3 3.7L engine too. About 10psi at warm idle ..hot day, in gear, foot on brake. I didn't have the line bled well enough in the pic below. It's betweeen 10-11. Off idle and at road speeds the PSI is ~25. Not the greatest, but seriously it's been like that for tens of thousands of miles, so I quit sweating it. Certainly not what I'd like it to be. But guess, what, the sun continues to rise in the east each day and driving my H3 you'd never know it. Technically speaking the oil pressure it's still within the minimum limit for most engines. I been putting 1 qt of 10-40 in mine each change to bring up the oil pressure a bit and the light and buzzer never go off. So you could try that.

There are oil squirters at the top of each connecting rod which technically squirt engine oil to the underside of the pistons. Presumably to cool them off so they can run a 10.3:1 compression ratio (10.1:1 early I-5's) ..which is pretty high for normal pump gas. Therefore 'techniclly speaking' running real thick oil where it doesn't squirt out, might overheat a cylinder and cause detonation or possibly burn a valve. But in practice some guys on this site have run higher weight oil seemingly ok. I just fudge a little on mine with a qt of 10-40. And like I say, it keeps the oil light from ever coming on.

The other thing you could do would be to pull it and install new bearings, oil pump and timing chain tensioners in it, a real 'quickie' re-do. Or maybe hone and put in new rings. The iron sleeves are high-nickle and often don't need to be bored. The you're likely to get many more 10's of thousands miles. Any used engine will probably suffer similar issues. These engines are well-built & can go 300k+ miles if not for the weaknesses listed herein. Best of luck. 👍

Attachments

• Oil Pressure 0-30_small.jpg
    Oil Pressure 0-30_small.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Aridgerunner

Thanks for those tips. Next week I will do a compression test just for giggles. I expect the numbers will be good because about 15,000 miles ago I had the cylinder head rebuilt and a new cam cover was installed. So I think the top end is fine. It could have bad rings but I doubt that too because it does not use any oil.

I will also pull vvt actuator and give it a good cleaning. Then I'll probably change the oil and filter and use one quart of 10/40. If that keeps the light off, which only comes on during hot weather, then I'll be happy. If not then I'll do the oil pressure check with a gauge.

Thanks again!

Jeepwalker

Usually you can rent a compression tester for 'free' (with deposit) from OReilly's/Autozone, if you don't own one. You probably know that. But if not... That's probably what I'd do if you don't need one in the future. They might have an oil pressure tester kit too you can get w/o buying one. Make sure it's got the 16mm (x 1.5 thread) adapter. They should ...it's the same for LS engines. I wrote 18mm thread above...that was wrong. It's M16. You'll need that adapter. There used to be an outfit selling them on ebay for like $3.95 a couple yrs ago.

It's a good idea to watch a video how to do a compression test ...the 'right' way...not by some 18y/o dufus doing it the first time ...passing himself off as an *Expert* (like half the videos out there). Based on the work they did on your truck, compression is probably fine.

Note: I should have indicated in my post above my 10-11 psi oil pressure was with straight 5w-30 oil. It went up a touch with 1qt of 10-40..but honestly I don't remember now how much. A couple psi anyway.

Jeepwalker

It would still be good to know IMO what the actual pressure is. Perhaps acquire an oil pressure gauge and check the pressure WHILE you are in the process of replacing the sensor. Then you know what the oil pressure actually is. Even if it's just the sensor (basically a switch)... is the engine at 10psi at hot idle? Or 30? Cheers.

Aridgerunner

One thing I have learned over the past 6 decades of solving problems is to take one step at a time. If there are several possible solutions, fix the easiest and least expensive first. If I fix all possible issues I'll never know which one fixed it. So in this case I'll remove and clean the VVT actuator first. If that doesn't help then I'll change the oil and filter and use one quart of 10/40 in with the 5/30. If the light comes on again during the hot weather then I will do the oil pressure check. It makes sense to do the pressure check before replacing the pressure sensor just because I have to remove the sensor to replace it. So while it's out that's time to insert the gauge.

I will post updates as this process moves along. And I sincerely thank everyone for the help. You gave me a place to start.

Aridgerunner

I removed and cleaned and re-inserted the VVT actuator today. But I haven't needed go anywhere today (the joy of being retired) so maybe tomorrow. I took before and after pictures. I don't think it was very dirty.

Attachments

• IMG_20240506_124702500_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240506_124702500_HDR.jpg
    891.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20240506_123712989_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240506_123712989_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13