• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

NP241 transfer case

Mr_Rich

Last Wed. I pulled the 350 (190K) from my K1500 EC. I have 235K miles on the 700R4 and I think I'd be pushing my luck if I don't take it out and have it gone through at a local trans shop. I had a spare 2WD 700R4 on the shelf and discovered the case is not as robust as the 4WD 700R4 case. Some of the parts in one trans may make it in to the other trans, but that will be discussed when the time comes. The question I have is; how much does the transfer case weigh? I read somewhere that they are 85 lbs. I had help loading the 2WD 700R4 in my 3T today. I forgot how heavy those suckers were. I've got two trans jacks to use on this project. If the transfer case is that heavy I'll formulate a plan to handle it. This is my current driveway project this year.

MaxPF

AGNTSA
Yup, 85lbs is correct. FWIW, I have R&Red 241's many times, and never used anything other than muscle. Heavier cases, like 205's, Atlases, and 271/273s get a transmission jack under them.

Mr_Rich

Oof! I think I could muscle 60 lbs. 85 lbs. means I figure a safe way to support it via a trans jack. I muscled the Saginaw trans under my old '73 many, many years ago. I think you're a lot younger than me to muscle an NP241 like that.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I carry around the NP 242 H1 transfer case without difficulty. It probably weighs about the same. There is probably more room under an H1 to position and manipulate a T-case than on your truck...unless it is lifted. Easiest way is definitely to use a tranny jack. Makes getting those first bolts in much easier.

MaxPF

AGNTSA
Oof! I think I could muscle 60 lbs. 85 lbs. means I figure a safe way to support it via a trans jack. I muscled the Saginaw trans under my old '73 many, many years ago. I think you're a lot younger than me to muscle an NP241 like that.

How old are you? I ain't exactly a spring chicken these days :D.

I carry around the NP 242 H1 transfer case without difficulty. It probably weighs about the same. There is probably more room under an H1 to position and manipulate a T-case than on your truck...unless it is lifted. Easiest way is definitely to use a tranny jack. Makes getting those first bolts in much easier.

Once you get the trans output slid into the input of the t-case it will hang there on its own. Makes it easy to rotate it into position, slide it home, and start the first bolt. If the case uses studs instead of bolts its even easier.

Mr_Rich

How old are you? I ain't exactly a spring chicken these days :D.

I'm looking at 59 in a few months. I'm happy I can still do this kind of work although I make sure I pace myself.

Once you get the trans output slid into the input of the t-case it will hang there on its own. Makes it easy to rotate it into position, slide it home, and start the first bolt. If the case uses studs instead of bolts its even easier.

I'll take note of that...thanks!

Mr_Rich

I pulled both driveshafts this evening. My U-joint in my rear driveshaft crumbled when I removed it from the knuckle/ pinion bracket. I sensed some vibration the last time I drove the truck and just kind of brushed it off. It's a good thing I decided to get deeper in to this project. I drained the trans case that I filled fresh last Feb. I removed the bolts on the trans support. It should be fairly easy to lower the trans/ trans case tomorrow sometime.

Last edited: