• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

New to Group

mbanks0921

Member
Messages
15
Location
nevada
I know this has been beaten to death, however I want to upgrade my 2006 H3, Looking for tires and wheels. I want to run 35 in tires, don't know if I should stay with stock wheels and just get tires or upgrade tires and wheels. I like the H3 wheel however I want some black wheels which would look cool as hell on my H3. I can get tires now, however if I do I will have to stay with 16 in wheel when I do upgrade. The cheapest thing would be is to just get tires. I know there are endless post on pros and cons of stock wheel or 16 versus going 17 or 18. Any input would help.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 381
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 420
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 384
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 388
Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Messages
10,673
Location
Scottsdale
Welcome! 35s look great on 16" rims. If you need to watch your budget, just spend your money on good quality tires. For blacked out rims, some owners use Plastidip.
 

Highatop

Well-Known Member
Messages
600
Location
Florissant, Co.
Welcome from Co. For your rims, you can juust paint them and save some money right there. My rig is an 06 base. First thing I did was change out my 265s to 285s A/T and leveled it. That alone made it look nicer. Then after wheelin w/ it in Moab especially, I learned the A/Ts I had were not good enough to catch a ledge. So I just changed to a 315s Goodyear Duratrac. I'm a 1" taller now and they look badass( lucky for me I used my 285s on my pickup,I needed tires this year for that too). So far very happy w/ the look and the ride. I'll find out in April, how much better they do.
Good luck and start savin now for all the other mods you are goin to want.
 

mbanks0921

Member
Messages
15
Location
nevada
Thanks; I have read where people have used plasti dip, what process is used are they doing the whole rim or just whats visible?
 

06-3

Well-Known Member
Messages
60
Location
Edwardsville ,Illinois
That looks like a real straight truck you got there man , what is the mileage on it ? the tires are in purdy good shape it looks like...maybe save up for an alternate set of wheels& tires if you can store them...ya have to ask yurself, how am I going to use the truck...do you plan to go off road..or is it a town ride.....?
 

owlxxx

Well-Known Member
Messages
345
Location
Tehachapi, CA
I plasti dipped my wheels, I just took them off and sprayed it on after cleaning each wheel. No special prep work was done It comes off of the tire, peels off like a wrap. It's been on since late april/early may. not a single scratch or tear yet and I've been out on the trails. I only did what was visible but I did put some around the edges in the back of the rim just so it wraps around some.
 

mbanks0921

Member
Messages
15
Location
nevada
Got truck in May 2013, had 39500 on the miles, so very low, currently sitting at just under 44000. Its a town ride however I live in South Lake Tahoe and we get a town of snow and there are tons of wheelin opportunities around here
 

06-3

Well-Known Member
Messages
60
Location
Edwardsville ,Illinois
Got truck in May 2013, had 39500 on the miles, so very low, currently sitting at just under 44000. Its a town ride however I live in South Lake Tahoe and we get a town of snow and there are tons of wheelin opportunities around here

Ok , well these guys here can sure help ya set up your truck for wheelin , the tires that are on there now should be fine in the snow.Thats how my truck was when I got it 38 thow...its really nice to find a virgin hummer.....:asoff:
 

cbetts

NERD!!!
Messages
3,188
Location
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
Got truck in May 2013, had 39500 on the miles, so very low, currently sitting at just under 44000. Its a town ride however I live in South Lake Tahoe and we get a town of snow and there are tons of wheelin opportunities around here

Awesome! Another member from the Sierras! I grew up in Bishop and know that terrain well. There are a lot of fun trails up by you. You will have to join us for the annual Bishop run next Summer.
 

mbanks0921

Member
Messages
15
Location
nevada
Nice looking rig; getting ready to get some315/70/16 trail grapplers. Gonna pasti dip the wheels black. More mods to come.
 

ArtHummer

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,220
Location
Gaithersburg/MD
Welcome to the forum!
IF you planing on wheeling I would stay with stock rims and spend the money on much more needed upgrades (like USP, rockers and steering rack clamp). But if your budget good, then I would upgrade wheels to beadlocks.
If you planing mall-crawl then you can change the rims to anything. But remember that, most of the aftermarket rims are weaker then OEM and can crack under pressure if you will take it wheeling.
 

mbanks0921

Member
Messages
15
Location
nevada
Just Upgraded

Just upgraded the H3 315/75/16 Nitto Trail Grapplers, leveled and aligned. First pic.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    527.6 KB · Views: 383

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
Messages
1,506
Location
Silverado
Welcome to the forum. Nice cherry 3!

It is good you decided to stay with the stock wheels. What nobody else mentioned yet is the H3 has a 5.84" backspace, which helps keep the wheels inside the fenders. Most (all?) aftermarket wheels have less backspace so the wheels will stick out more and rub the fenders at full articulation. Stock backspace is much better for wheeling.

The new tires look great. Now to do something about the nerf bars!

O' one more thing. The first upgrade before you start wheeling is the Auto Club Premier membership. Premier includes up to 200 miles on one tow and up to 100 miles on remaining tows. This can save you a lot of $$$ if you ever break down on a remote trail. The catch is you have to be a member for a year without using the towing service before you can upgrade to Premier.
 

cdarveaux

Well-Known Member
Messages
544
Location
Colorado Springs, CO
Welcome to the forum. Nice cherry 3!

It is good you decided to stay with the stock wheels. What nobody else mentioned yet is the H3 has a 5.84" backspace, which helps keep the wheels inside the fenders. Most (all?) aftermarket wheels have less backspace so the wheels will stick out more and rub the fenders at full articulation. Stock backspace is much better for wheeling.

The new tires look great. Now to do something about the nerf bars!

O' one more thing. The first upgrade before you start wheeling is the Auto Club Premier membership. Premier includes up to 200 miles on one tow and up to 100 miles on remaining tows. This can save you a lot of $$$ if you ever break down on a remote trail. The catch is you have to be a member for a year without using the towing service before you can upgrade to Premier.

Yes get that membership trust me my truck is stranded in Marble Falls and it's been there for 2 weeks. Now I am having to rent a trailer and go get it. If I had the 200 mile tow I'd be driving my truck now!
 
Top