• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Need recommendations for a navi system

Ed's06h3

The navigation/radio in my hummer is starting to freeze and sometimes doesn't even want to turn on....so before it kicks I wanna up-grade....what's a good in-dash navigation system that I can purchase........thanks..

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Kenwood. It runs the Garmin nav system. I have the Alpine and it's one of my biggest regret. I plan to swap out to the Kenwood soon.

M22KLARS

Unsafe At Any Speed
Pioneer AVIC
or
Pretty much anything Eclipse

I've had decent luck with Clarion navigation units in the past but I mainly stick to the first two now.

But....

What do you want it to do?

Bluetooth? Touchscreen? Back Up Camera? Multiple amps?

autumn walker

I'm running the same Pioneer AVIC x920BT in my H2 as I did in my H3 - I like it. I have upgraded the software to x930BT and there was a small difference in usability; now x940BT software is out and I plan to upgrade to that soon. Should be a total change in the maps - switching to Garmin I believe. Previously used Teleatlas (?).

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Interface is very anti-intuitive. It also has a few bugs and occasionally not interface properly with IPod or IPhone. Had similar issues on another vehicle with Alpine unit. Nav menus also suck. The fact that Kenwood uses the Garmin Nav system is reason enough to go that route. Had I know sooner I would have done that from the get go.

Ed's06h3

Pioneer AVIC
or
Pretty much anything Eclipse

I've had decent luck with Clarion navigation units in the past but I mainly stick to the first two now.

But....

What do you want it to do?

Bluetooth? Touchscreen? Back Up Camera? Multiple amps?

It must have Bluetooth, touchscreen, & back up camera......the one that I currently have has them......I really like Pioneer Avic & the Kenwood eXcelon....

Medic_Morgan

Got the "mini" and it kicks a$$! Waiting for about a year w/ extensive comparison in the 7" tablet market

Sent from my secret lair bwaaahhahahahah

Medic_Morgan

Waited* and did a lot of research over the past year w/ the 7" tablet market. It's a powerful little tablet, goes anywhere, fits in ONE hand and has ALL the apps you can want.. Just my $.02 ;)

Sent from my secret lair bwaaahhahahahah

OIF Marinex3

I have the Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH and I love this unit the Navigation is great, I have no issues with functionality such as some touch screen units don't respond well when there is direct sunlight. as far as the GPS goes compared to the TOMTOM I had and the Garmin that my wife has I get better directions and better turn by turn than either of those, If you have an Iphone like I do there would be only one complaint that I have, when you switch from Pandora or one of the other compatible apps you have to allow or deny the app to run on your phone but I think that is more an issue with the Iphone OS.
Sound Quality: I have the Monsoon system and I have found that this deck does improve the sound level giving it more of a punch, and I think that I have blown a speaker ( I like it LOUD) but I am not much of an audiophile, I look at more "Does it sound good? yes." "is it loud? yes." then count me in.

there is much more I can say about this deck but I dont want to ramble too much.

it is also really easy with this deck to make it able to play DVD's while not in park/parking break no jumper, resister, or other B.S. needed the tutorial is on youtube.com
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg3r-HRiYwE) this is the bypass that I did and its quick easy and I have had no issues.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130AVIC140/Pioneer-AVIC-Z140BH.html?tp=20212

if you have any specific questions let me know I have had this unit for 6 months and about 8,500 mi