• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Manta Ray kiting

ArtHummer

The summer is coming and that got me thinking about going to the lake and reminded me about old days...

A wile back me and my body got our hands on, new at that time, "Manta Ray" kit tub. That was some scary a** s**t.... You tight this thing to a boat and when it is getting tugged the kite goes up with person on top of it. With the right speed this thing can go as high as the rope will allow you, and one thing to mention is that there is no safety AT ALL, it got no brakes, peaty much no control and if the boat is not pulling it goes straight down. If you will be able to get your hands on it make sure you trust to the person that will drive the boat, he is not in the control of your fun, but in the control of your life...
The first year was A LOT of fun playing with it and we where every careful. Next year, when we tried to get a new one, the owner of the shop told us that kite was banned from selling in 2 states and one of it was VA, when we asked the reason, he told us it is due to several death accidents. We had to drive to MD to get one. The next year it was banned in 48 states and i don't think that it is legal to sell in US...

One time I was flying it and I was flying about 10-15 feet of the water. Next thing the gash of wind hit me raised me all the way up in about 3 second. When I reached the top of the rope and looked down... holly S**T. I'm on the flying at about 6 story high and can see the forest around the lake from the top, the boat is like a toy the size of my palm. One little mistake and I'm dead. The guy, who was driving the boat, started to bring me down and as soon as i touched the water I jumped of this thing in fear of it might go up again. That was biggest adrenalin rash I ever experienced.

I need to get a new one for this year... yeaaa
mplace2.jpg

[video=youtube_share;HBa9wdOANHw]http://youtu.be/HBa9wdOANHw[/video]

ArtHummer

I got the same thing happened to me one. I landed on my left leg. After the crash I couldn't move my leg for about 10 minutes. That was my first time getting a bruise from heating the water.

[video=youtube_share;CQtXB8zVLZA]http://youtu.be/CQtXB8zVLZA[/video]

Expendable

looks like fun! but I'd have trouble trusting whoever was in the boat. Because it's not just about the driver of the boat, it also matters if anyone is horsing around and happens to mess with the driver/steering.