• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

LS3 Swapped H3T

amrg

I was looking at this engine and it shows that an engine controller is required, Im assuming since you used stock wiring harness and pcm you didnt need that? Also the stock throttle pedal works or did you get a specific one?
Does the engine come with a base tune to run it?
Did you swap any parts (besides the exhaust manifold) over from the old engine to the new one or was everything available?
Finally which torque converter did you have to buy? And whats the reason for a new one?

RamRod

I was looking at this engine and it shows that an engine controller is required, Im assuming since you used stock wiring harness and pcm you didnt need that? Also the stock throttle pedal works or did you get a specific one?
Did you swap any parts (besides the exhaust manifold) over from the old engine to the new one or was everything available?
Finally which torque converter did you have to buy? And whats the reason for a new one?

He used the 5.3L oilpan as well I believe

SWANK3T

Guys at Mash motors are like " Dude STFU!"

Man thank you I need this in my life. 20g's was like aaaaahhhh 10-11 is way better I can swing that.

Last edited:

GM performance primarily sells these motors to folks putting them in hot rods, retro rods, custom builds etc so in those cases you will need the computer. The engine controller from the 5.3L is the same one used for the 6.2L as the motors are so close. The motor came with a gas pedal but again, same one it already had in the truck. The tune that was in the PCM for the 5.3L fired up the 6.2L no problem and ran pretty good, just needed to performance tune the way I wanted. You WILL need somebody with the expensive tuning software and who is experienced and good at tuning these motors, also need to test on a dyno many times to get it right. Took about 4 days of fine tuning to get it perfect.

Here;s the official parts swap list from motor to motor:

Oil pan from 5.3 to 6.2
Exhaust heads from 5.3 to 6.2
Water pump from 5.3 to 6.2, (they were the same GPM pump but the old one had the hook ups in the right place so no more mods needed to connect)

Torque converter.
The stock TC was too (small, weak, slow?), anyway when you came to a stop the engine still pulled hard at idle. I would have to stand on the brakes at idle and it would idle down the street at about 30 MPH. With the new 3000 RPM Locking torque converter it did away with that and now drives like a stock truck. It also took about 1 second off the 0-60 times, I guess just a better hookup when you stomp on it?

amrg

Do you have any vids with the car moving (acceleration, idling with a/c on)?
Is the 3000 converter top much? There is a 2400-2800 option from gmperformance

Any advice for someone whom is going to attempt a swap from a i5 to ls3??

I spoke to a local guy who has a I5 and wanted to do it, looking at the engine compartment there was a lot of work that needed to be done, engine mounts will have to be changed, all the plumbing, lots of customization and fabricating. If you don't do the work yourself I could see it getting VERY expensive. You will also need a new computer, not sure about the tranny, does the I5 have the 4L60?

I read in this post 06 H3, aka The Jackal had already done it, I think he would be a better resource than me. read up in this thread.

Do you have any vids with the car moving (acceleration, idling with a/c on)?
Is the 3000 converter top much? There is a 2400-2800 option from gmperformance

Yup, will be posting them soon, 0-80 runs and just tooling around.

The 3000 converter seems just right to me, drives exactly like the stock truck did. Whatever was stock definitely does not work, you will have to change it out. I'm not sure what the difference between a 2800 and a 3000 feels like, probably would work just fine...?

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Seeing the 5.3 to a 6.2 is almost bolt in you would need a similar harness to mine. Motor mounts may or may not be custom. Not sure if the 6.2/5.3 are the same.

both have 4l60e but you would need to swap bellhousings and find a trans with an input speed sensor.

lgascon

wondering who can do this job here in Florida, i would love to put the 6.2 in my h3t, right now it has the 3.7 and is terrible slow

Cajun_Tiger_Hummer

I was going to do the supercharger but waited too long and there are no more kits. I would have had to custom install. Overall the new motor was cheaper than a supercharger and about 150HP better. No mods for check engine light, the 5.3 computer can run the 6.2 no problem, just needed to adjust all the fine points of timing and flow.

Mr incredible, Bergeron did your swap correct? I'd love to see this rig. I just moved down the bayou and work in Houma, actually right off Thompson rd. about 50yds from Bergeron's brand new shop.

amrg

Yup, will be posting them soon, 0-80 runs and just tooling around.

The 3000 converter seems just right to me, drives exactly like the stock truck did. Whatever was stock definitely does not work, you will have to change it out. I'm not sure what the difference between a 2800 and a 3000 feels like, probably would work just fine...?
Do you have a part number for the converter you got?
With the 3000K converter, how does the truck feel in the street? (Is it loose?)
And finally, still waiting on the vidz!

omega_h3

Probationary Member
So, where in Louisiana can this be done? City and shop. Possibly for a I5. I live in Arkansas. Wouldn't mind making a road trip to LSU territory to drop off my H3 I5 to have this done...

Ryan212

Looks great

The 5.3 to 6.2/LS3, a shortblock swap would be very straight forward, no other changes required. The LSx/ GenIV architecture is very modular you can literally swap most parts from the 4.8 to the 7.0. The crate motor with the heads and everything helps a lot with power. It should be a blast to drive.

Ryan