• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Line-X prep

Enter Hummer

I need some line-x body armor for the trails that I run. Problem is line-x is pretty expensive, so I'd like to do all the prep work for a couple reasons:
1.) cheaper
2.) quicker time at line-x because I already have a big drive to the nearest line-x
3.) no need to re-install the parts at line-x just to drive home and look at all the bug guts.

So with all that said, I know I have to take the pieces off, sand them, and clean them correct?

1.) What grit sandpaper?
2.) Can I just rough up the chrome (thats peeling pretty good) or do I have to sand it all off?
3.) What do I clean it with? Do I even have to clean it?

I will be doing ALL chrome and fenders. Thanks for all help in advance!

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I used Duplicolor bedliner on the chrome grill. I just scratched up the surface with sandpaper though I don't remember the grit - probably medium-fine. You do want to fully clean up any areas where the chrome is peeling. Peel it back, sand it down, etc.

I haven't done my fenders because, well, they're going to get scratched anyway. Not sure what I'm protecting by doing so. I did the grill for a change in looks.

Enter Hummer

I need to do the fenders for scratches and some nice graffiti from an angry hummer/gun lover :gaah: Plus I saw a picture of bebe's with bedlined fenders and they looked awesome!

deserth3

Talk to the shop who's going to do the line-x. Ask what they recommend.
I just sprayed bedliner my chrome grill.
The chrome was bubling. I just took a Razer and peeled 99% of out off. Then light sand with some 220. Then sprayed.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

derian06

Red Rockett
I recommend sanding then priming any plastic, I made the mistake of not priming and now I have some chipping and flaking here and there.

Lewiz VenomH3

I used plastidip on mine. In fact I used did mine today again. I know it's gonna get scratched anyway but just a lil more protection
712a31acb1411875333e100f5e0cd6d2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk