• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

K5, K10 and Zr2 Blazer were the foundation of the hummer brand???

Can007

Well-Known Member
Messages
374
Location
Palmdale, CA
I have owned all 3 with the zr2 being the most recent and they are the reason I decided to stick with GM instead of going toyota fj or wrangler for the ultimate 4x4 rig. The Zr2 blazer was so impressive, GM truely made them to be a trail rig and mine didn't disappoint. I believe the hummer brand is the accumulation of these vehicles, remember the K5 was the military hummer back in the day, what ur input...
 

Ron B

Well-Known Member
Messages
359
Location
Los Angeles
I love K5's but they cannot compare to the humvee, who's "styling" (or lack thereof) and reputation GM wanted to take advantage of.

I think the military started using the K5 in the early 80's about the same time as the first humvees were being tested. I have never owned one but I like them (and early Broncos) very much. I see a lot of them offroad. Wish they never lost the barn doors on the two door trucks. The military K5 is really cool (basically just a stripped down version with beefed up suspension) and would be fun to own.
 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
I havent really wheeled with them to know how they do off road but they look like they are pretty good machines with a few good mods
 

05Mudiak

Well-Known Member
Messages
731
Location
Lake Charles, LA
I had a 76 Jimmy 6" lift 35" TSL's it did great offroad . it was one of those you wernt afraid to hit a tree. It was a fun truck. A whole different animal then the H3 but still just as fun. Also had a 86 k3500 srw 6" lift 38.5 boggers that truck was a beast That was good fun too also wish I never sold it.
 

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Messages
10,529
Location
Central Texas
I had a K5 for several years. Really liked that thing. You couldn't hurt it with a stick if dynamite. Great for hauling my lab up into the mountains. He loved that Blazer.
 

Hunner

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,334
Location
Arkansas
Not sure which Hummer you are referring to but for the GM H3 check this book out for a fascinating history.
Hummer H3 by Larry Edsall
 

Can007

Well-Known Member
Messages
374
Location
Palmdale, CA
Here are a couple pic's of my 1977 K10
 

Attachments

  • Pismo-July 05 blazer.jpg
    Pismo-July 05 blazer.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 653
  • Pismo-July 05 blazer 1.jpg
    Pismo-July 05 blazer 1.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 606
  • Pismo-July 05 00062.jpg
    Pismo-July 05 00062.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 608
  • Captured 2005-7-4 00006.JPG
    Captured 2005-7-4 00006.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 2,129
  • DSC00039 (2).JPG
    DSC00039 (2).JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 565

Can007

Well-Known Member
Messages
374
Location
Palmdale, CA
Actually it was a dark smoke grey color, on 38 super swampers, locked up all around with a 454 engine. I build this bad boy from the ground up, You name it I did it, I painted the truck my self as well as re-did the entire interior black with dual captain seats rows and added a third row bench seat, but I did have help with drive train issues.
blazer 007 00005.jpgblazer 007 00010.jpgblazer 007 00011.jpgblazer 007 00016.jpg
 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
the trails you were on in the ZR2 pics look very local.:) I will never forget the first off road experience hitting the little trails that are around in the SCV

That K10 is a monster. If you got rid of it I am sure you miss it A LOT!
 

Can007

Well-Known Member
Messages
374
Location
Palmdale, CA
I am sure you have been there before... Yeah i do miss it a lot. It's just a different kind of rig, one that I loved but didn't care if I broke something or scratching it; parts can be found anywhere and they are super cheap. I did some crazy stuff with that truck, that I would never try with the H3, that's what i missed most.
 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
I am sure you have been there before... Yeah i do miss it a lot. It's just a different kind of rig, one that I loved but didn't care if I broke something or scratching it; parts can be found anywhere and they are super cheap. I did some crazy stuff with that truck, that I would never try with the H3, that's what i missed most.

Hopefully years from now parts will be available and cheap from the junkyard so you can push the H3 just as hard

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
 

Steve #1

Well-Known Member
Messages
534
Location
TEXAS
I wouldn't say they were the "foundation of the hummer brand". They did fill a gap in the military before the HUMVEE came along and to some extent after.

Don't get me wrong, I like the K5, I have one in my driveway I should sell but don't have the heart to do it.
 
Top