• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Is there a way to turn Traction Control off?

BW_Hummer H3

Today me and a few friends went to go do some donuts at a open field(owner was ok with it). I put it in 4Hi and held the TC button for around 5 seconds. The light in the displace said TC was off. However it would not let me get above 2000 rpms. Sometimes when I turn I off it lets me rev as long as I want. So is there way to completely turn it off or is I always going to be on in some sort of way?

On the bright side it did do its job by not letting me lose traction.:)

08H3

This question was asked a long time ago...maybe even on the other forum. I think the ultimate conclusion was "inconclusive". It seemed like for the most part the earlier models could be disabled, but later models could not. If you are dead set on disabling it, you can pull the ABS fuse, but honestly I think the H3 traction control system probably helps more than it hurts.

SuperBuickGuy

stability control is what limits your throttle. Traction control doesn't.... and stability control can be turned off a couple ways - either press the button on the dash until it says "stability control off", or turn it off permanently with software such as HP Tuners (Stability control comes back on when you turn off then start back up)

Traction control will bake your brake pads and warp your rotors if you spin too hard for too long because it will still drag a brake pad to try to get all wheels turning at the same speed. Slow and crawl over works fine. As for TC, it doesn't turn off easily.

Hunner

Welp can't find the original post.

You can have fun with stabiltrac off. Just make sure you know the terrain you will slide across.

You can drift

and you can do a 180 without it on. Old school............

You could do donuts but I like waffles!

jakesz28

Nope. If you hold the traction control button in for about 10 seconds it turns off the traction control and stability control. This works on an 07. Not sure if it works on all of them.

BW_Hummer H3

Nope. If you hold the traction control button in for about 10 seconds it turns off the traction control and stability control. This works on an 07. Not sure if it works on all of them.

Thanks! Works in a 09 too. This forum is great!

digglesworth

I hold the button for 5-10 sec and the light comes on the dash and the DIC says "stab off"... You're saying this turns the traction control off too???

jakesz28

I did this the other day and was whipping around doing some nice donuts. The kids were loving it but then my wife came close to losing her stomach. Not good.

Note to self no donuts with Sally. LOL.

jakesz28

I would say so. I have also reduced or removed the torque management on my vehicle. But did nothing to the traction control settings.

SuperBuickGuy

I hold the button for 5-10 sec and the light comes on the dash and the DIC says "stab off"... You're saying this turns the traction control off too???

no, traction control stays on. Now you folks are going to make me do a PDF of the owner's manual. All the answers to the questions you raise are contained within that magic book

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
no, traction control stays on. Now you folks are going to make me do a PDF of the owner's manual. All the answers to the questions you raise are contained within that magic book
I think there are different versions of the owner's manual with different stories as to what the button does. That doesn't mean the manuals are correct, but they aren't necessarily incorrect either.

FWIW, here's the text from my early 07 owner's manual:
If you press and hold the TC button forfive seconds, the StabiliTrak® system and
the traction control system will turn off

deserth3

This doesn't work on my adventure 2006. You can hold the button as long as you want and it only turns of Stability. 4LO turns off Stability. There's no way to turn off traction control.
Different years do different things.

Last edited:

digglesworth

My 06 manual says press and release TCS button to disable traction control. The TCS icon will light up in the cluster. To disable the stabilitrak, press and hold the TCS button for 5 seconds and the STAB SYS OFF message will appear in the DIC....

Highatop

OK , I just tryed that on mine 06. I pressed TCS and nothing happened. When I pressed an held for 5 seconds, the light came on and STAB SYS OFF came on. And 1 press of it again turned it back on and the light went out.

deserth3

I wouldn't put too much stock in the manual. M y understanding it was written while the truck was being designed by a contract company so it could be released along with the truck. So first few years do have some inconsistencies.

digglesworth

So here's the million dollar question... Who would know? I'm sure my local gm dealer would have me refer to the manual...

Highatop

So here's the million dollar question... Who would know? I'm sure my local gm dealer would have me refer to the manual...

Thats funny. The dealers or most don't know anythin about the hummers anymore. From service to parts dept. Alittle support or knowledge from GM would be nice. I see alot more H3s out there now. They are more affordable. But still, I see them on the road and not wheelin.

3rdH3

Back a few years ago someone on one of the forums did some testing and concluded that you can't turn the TCS off even on some models the DIC says it's off.

amrg

on my 06 I can switch the traction control off completely. On my 09 it still kicks in slightly on loose sand.

SuperBuickGuy

Back a few years ago someone on one of the forums did some testing and concluded that you can't turn the TCS off even on some models the DIC says it's off.

that sounds so sanitary and professional.
Rather
some monkey pressed the button and spun a few donuts :horns: