• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Indian Country II

DaveK

Even though we were not able to complete most of the trip, we did manage to take care of one thing that has been on my must-do list for years. The area in and about Four Corners was heavily used by the Anasazi in centuries past and the evidence of their occupation is significant and often very difficult to find. For the energetic and curious hiker, however, there is much to be discovered. Many of the roads that led to hiking trails were difficult and only 4WD or ATVs were able to make it. The highlight of the trip was the visit to Keet Seel in the Navajo National Monument. It is one of the largest and most well preserved sites in the south west. Visiting the site can only be accomplished by an 18.5 mile round trip hike which involves a 1,000 foot descent into the canyon. The land on which Keet Seel sits is in the Navajo Nation and there are no roads to the site. Below are a few pictures of the adventure. For a full trip report, see: http://forums.oausa.net/viewtopic.php?f=118&t=3736 .

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0033 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0033 (Large).JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0046 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0046 (Large).JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_0047 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0047 (Large).JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_0133 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0133 (Large).JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
18.5 mile HIKE? Good reason many people haven't seen it! That's awesome that you went and thanks for the pics.

LagunaH1

Amazing. Just amazing. I don't know if I'll ever be able to hike 18.5 miles but this just got added to my list.

I love that there are so many treasures like this available for me to go experience if I should choose to do so.

Thanks for sharing.

chaos254

Beautiful pictures. Next time im in AZ, I might have to check this out. 18.5 miles is long but not too bad, definitely need some comfortable shoes!