• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Howdy from Eldersburg, MD

6pack

Active Member
Messages
25
Location
Eldersburg, MD
Hey all! I bought my truck new in '07 and have done a crap load to her. I've been working on my vehicles since I was 16, over 25 years now. And have been on forums almost as long; my first being a classic Mustang forum in the mid-90's. I know a some of you from other forums (Hunner comes to mind) but I'm just getting around to this one. Seems like a great place.

The cross member bushing fix by Preferred Chassis Fab is what led me here and I've already found some neat new ideas; like the aux in mod by Schwarttzy. I found out my cross member bushing was trash when I pulled my engine for a rebuild (at the request of my three blown pistons) and I could lift the diff housing about 4" vertical. I'd say that's a fail.

It's funny how I can still find new smilies after all these years and forums. Here's me new favorite: :gaah:
:HA:

Nice to meet you all and Happy New Year!
 

6pack

Active Member
Messages
25
Location
Eldersburg, MD
Thanks guys. :)

You know, I don't take many pics unless its of things I'm modding. So, here are some mods!

Right after the Eaton install. The air intake was pretty rough. It was pieces of the stock one, the K&N FIPK and a custom straight piece to the TB.

Chargercomplete.jpg

On the dyno getting tuned after the supercharger install.

Onthedyno.jpg

The intake manifold bolts for the Eaton are installed totally through that space. My elbows to my finger tips were bruised and scratched for about two weeks after this. Also the front Fox shock.

2012-06-30_11-02-47_285.jpg

Fabbed bypass valve on the Eaton. I had to take the standard, 2" long version and cut the bracket and plunger, and then weld about 3-4 more inches into them.

Bypassvalverevisedinstalled.jpg

Custom aluminum inter cooler reservoir.

Intercoolerreservoir_zps76e8c609.jpg

Replaced passenger side half shaft.

2012-05-11_20-39-21_472.jpg


Bump stop installed.

100_0116.jpg

Header installed.

100_0364_zpse44fdf59.jpg

Rear shock skids. The are from a member from another site name Tomp. Not sure if he's here or not.

Shockplate9_zps8b4cf3ed.jpg

Driver's side slider after I had them Line-X'd.

SlidersLineXDriver_zps32920f83.jpg

Pic limit. More to follow.
 
Last edited:

6pack

Active Member
Messages
25
Location
Eldersburg, MD
Ron Davis radiator.

RadiatorRonDavis.jpg

I can't remember where this is from, but minus the supercharger's inter cooler' radiator that now sits in front of the engine's radiator, this is what she looks like (different tires now too).

BTF2010_zps6c4a095c.jpg


Not sure what happened with that last pic. It kept saying I had a bad extension and wouldn't attach it, but it's a jpeg like all the rest. I unchecked a box in the dialog and it loaded it full size.:huh:
 
Last edited:

6pack

Active Member
Messages
25
Location
Eldersburg, MD
Not sure. :/ I didn't think to get a copy when I was there, and the guy never sent it when I requested it. That was September 2012. I was trying to finalize the tune last week prior to getting it on a dyno closer to home (the first one was about an hour and a half away). And that's when she blew. So when I do get back to the dyno, the engine will have had internal work to increase the numbers. I would think I was close to 300 rwhp.
 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
holy **** nice build! Was the supercharger the reason why the engine had to be pulled? Did it kill the motor?
 

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
Messages
1,506
Location
Silverado
Welcome to the forum.

How is the Line-X holding up on the sliders? Mine is a miserable failure.
 

6pack

Active Member
Messages
25
Location
Eldersburg, MD
Thanks all!

Was the supercharger the reason why the engine had to be pulled? Did it kill the motor?

I'm sure it hastened it's demise, and the power I was trying to push through it is what made the weaker parts go boom. It was during a tune session, and we were getting detonation above 4k rpm and we were trying to figure out why. We had just swapped in a wide band O2 sensor and were going for another pull to see what was going on and that's when the pistons gave out. It drove great below 4k with plenty of power but I wanted more! Now I'm getting special pistons (that RamRod may be interested in) and maybe some other things to make more power so I can break the next weak link. :)

Welcome from another S/C'ed hummer owner!

Ooohhh. We need to talk. PM incoming!

How is the Line-X holding up on the sliders? Mine is a miserable failure.

Mine has been perfect, although I haven't scraped it across any rocks. It's been on for about 1-1/2 years now, I think. No problems.
 

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
Messages
1,506
Location
Silverado
Mine did great until the rocks also. Last chance canyon and sleeping Princess made it look bad. Now there are big chunks pealing off. Looks like bad prep job. Line-X offered to redo it for their cost, but it needs to be striped and blasted first.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
 

RamRod

Well-Known Member
Messages
3,914
Location
AB, Canada
Now I'm getting special pistons (that RamRod may be interested in) and maybe some other things to make more power so I can break the next weak link. :)

We need to talk. PM incoming!

Sounds great looking forward to it! haha my parts pile is stacked up a mile high (does this mean I can join the mile high club) so what one more thing to add to the list... looks like I might need to redo some gaskets on my S/C anyway lol

The nest weak link in the set up IMO is the 4l60e... when mine blows I already got a shop willing to take on a 4l80 swap for me lol
 

6pack

Active Member
Messages
25
Location
Eldersburg, MD
Portager, Line-X told me up front they wouldn't warranty it. :giggle:

I have the 5 speed, and thought it was supposed to be a fairly sturdy setup. So I'm hoping that doesn't blow. I'm more concerned about an axle. The extra power, plus 35" tires could make for a nice shredding...
 

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
Messages
1,506
Location
Silverado
Yes, the half axles are usually the weak link in the H3 and 35" wheels exacerbates the problem. The main thing is to avoid spinning the wheels. Some people think that if the wheels are spinning you can get more traction by spinning faster. This is untrue. You get the most pull before the wheels start to spin. Once the wheels start to spin, pulling force is constant regardless speed, so spinning fast is just stupid. A wheel that is spinning fast will break an axle easier than one that isn't spinning or spinning slow when it suddenly catches on something. You could upgrade the half axles but then the weak link is the differential which is harder to fix in the field.

My Line-X wasn't warrantied either, but it should have held up better than it did. The dealer has offered to fix it at their cost but I'm thinking rattle can spray would be easier to touch up.
 
Top