• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Here to learn

ChuckingFluff

Member
Messages
14
Location
Canada Eh!
The wifes interested in an H3 and I know zero about them. I'm here to learn what I can before I buy her one; who knows it may end up being mine. Any hints on what to look for in a used one would be great.
 

Kyle

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,707
Location
Santa Clarita, CA
2007+ so it will have the 3.7 engine instead of the 3.5. what will you wife be using the car for? give us some background, will she be using it for off roading or taking it to the mall and back?
 

Pappibri

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,611
Location
Cohoctah, MI
If you buy one from a dealership try to get it Certified. I bought mine from a Cadillac dealership certified. It had 42,000 on it. It now has 96,000 and it has been in many a time, but it is always covered. It was well worth the extra 3,000 I paid to have it certified. If you buy one, I would look for one that has not been modded for offroad use, that way chances are it was just a grocery getter and not beat up on. Then once you get it, mod away and have some fun. And welcome to the forum, and good luck...:thumbs:
 

ChuckingFluff

Member
Messages
14
Location
Canada Eh!
Thanks, I've been looking for 2008 or newer with less than 30,000 miles on it. She wants something to get her from point A to point B no matter what the terrain is. She's not a fan of the mall and there are some great off road areas where she can take the dog out once she gets there. I haven't owned a 4x4 since I was 18 and that was a long time ago so I'm ok with anything; I just don't want to get her junk.
 

spillKill

Well-Known Member
Messages
356
Location
north carolina
i would say no matter what try and get one that has the adventure package on it if you think you might get it! and also an alpha with the V8 wouldnt hurt! haha good luck! :thumbs:
 

RamRod

Well-Known Member
Messages
3,914
Location
AB, Canada
Welcome!

You'll find the stock H3's ride is way better then a sock JK, so glad your looking this direction.

One this you should check for is the front differential bushing... most get worn out and need replacing... to replace with OEM is not the cure as it will do the same again, there are a few guys on here that have made a fix and apparently you wont have to touch it again after using their fix.

Cheers!
Mike
 

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
Messages
1,390
Location
Rockford IL
Welcome to the forums!

I lucked out and got the Adventure Package and Off-Road Package.

Sunroof, Factory Sub and premium sound, Leather seats, 4 to 1 Transfer case, Rear Locker, I love it.

I don't have the front locker because my is pre 2008... man wish I did have the front locker. Not a bit deal if you don't plan to go off-road extensively.
 

ChuckingFluff

Member
Messages
14
Location
Canada Eh!
Well I have a 2007 luxury package to look at on Saturday and a 2009 Alpha. I would really like to find a decent 2008 or newer adventure package put I haven't come across one yet. I'll keep a running log on the buying process to see what comes out of it. This could take a while.
 

ChuckingFluff

Member
Messages
14
Location
Canada Eh!
Well one more to look at this weekend for her. An 06 with the adventure package with the rear locker. Upgraded wheels and tires and bush bar. I'll post pictures later if we pick it up.
 

SuperBuickGuy

Well-Known Member
Messages
3,403
Location
Woodinville, WA
You'll fall over at the fuel economy of an H3 (which is actually one of the best in class, but still, abysmal)... honestly, watch our posts on here about vehicles we think are good deals... e.g. the Alpha in LA.

I don't know if certified is all that, I had a GM certified vehicle, and, after 2 transmission rebuilds and a bunch of other stuff, they were unhelpful at best (it was a GTO).
Things to watch out for:

buy one that's been a mall crawler, don't ever buy from some like me - I take care of mine, and fix what's broke; however, when I sell my 4x4s, they're used up.
I would honestly look for a luxury package one. You get better colors, and you are far less likely to find one that's been wheeled hard ... dechroming them is a pain, but that's a lot easier than replacing broke stuff.
 

ChuckingFluff

Member
Messages
14
Location
Canada Eh!
I did find another 06 adventure today that had the head gasket replaced under warranty. Does this mean the problem won't come back or do I need to keep doing this every few years?
 
Top