• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Help identifying front wheel noise

motley1987

So about a month ago I had my front brakes, rotors and calipers replaced. Not sure if this is related to my issue, but I figured I'd start there. I only noticed it recently, but when I go over a bump or low manhole cover, I get a metallic rattle from both sides. At first I thought it was only from the drivers side but it seems to be from both. I took off the center caps but that wasn't it (that would be too easy of course). I also replaced the front sway bar end links with Moog greasable end links. The sound is almost like banging together two metal pot lids. I thought I could hear it a little when applying my brakes so I'm thinking it's something with the calipers? I've never done brakes so I have no idea what to look for. I also didn't grease the end links since I figured they came with grease in them already which could be a bad assumption on my part. If anyone has an idea of what I should look for, I'd appreciate the help. Thanks!

Been

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Check the sway bar bushings. I doubt it is brake related as you said you also hear it when going over bumps, presumably w/o the brakes applied. I replaced mine recently as they were pretty much worn through and they were a source of noise like you are describing.

motley1987

That could be it since I would think since my end links were shot, replacing them may now be putting stress on the sway bar bushings. Thanks!

motley1987

I was driving tonight and heard the noise then as I came to another hole in the road and put my brakes on and didn't hear the noise. Can there be something loose on the calipers? I've never done brakes so other than re checking bolts I have no idea what to look for.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Possible but unlikely. You just need to get under the truck, ideally with something like a dead blow hammer, and hit stuff like skid plates, crossmembers, etc. Jack up the front end and check for tire movement to help see if there are worn ball joints. Raise/lower one side at a time and watch the sway bar movement. I would double check the front diff bushings - all three - to make sure those are good too.

4speedfunk

There are supposed to be "anti-rattle" clips on the brake pads. Make sure they are there. If you hit some bumps with the brakes on...they won't rattle because they are tight against the rotors. If you hit the same bump without the brakes applied and you get noise...it could be these little spring clips are missing...
attachment.php

Also check the caliper mounting bolts.

Attachments

• MVC-004F-22.jpg
    MVC-004F-22.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,808

motley1987

I pulled one of the tires off and there seems to be some play in the brake pads. There was one clip on the drivers side, should there be one on each end of the calipers, meaning two per side? Also the clip had no resistance to it and seemed like I could have put a paper clip in there and it would have held as well. So where do I go to get replacement clips that are strong enough to prevent any rattling? And do I need two per caliper or one? I didn't think to look if there was even a place for a second one so there might just be one clip per side. Thanks for the help!

Ben

motley1987

Thanks for the link. I'm going to AutoZone now to pick some up. Just have to wait until the weekend to put them on. Thanks again!

The first major noise my H3 alpha starting making was a loud bang or pop sound coming from the front suspension when coming to a stop. After not being able to pinpoint what it was I took it to the dealership and they fixed it for only $25. Loose upper control arm passenger side. Shortly after I started to get a chattering or metal to metal sound when driving at slow speeds especially on uneven roads. I found the suspect. It was a loose sway bar link bolt passenger side.

Cyouincourt007

Pavement Prince
Reminds me I have to get it in there and find the source of that elusive rattle I hear when turning hard left on that interchange on the way home from work. Thanks for the info

rsm688

A few things, emergency brake line rattling against the frame under the drivers door (mine was a little loose, a little tightening and the noise went away), loose skid plate bolts, loose exhaust manifold heat shield, the body mounts can make a rattling/bag of marbles kind of noise (I will be fixing this problem soon, all mine do it, theres a thread with how to cure it with some rubber washers), loose bolts on your tow shackles on your front bumper, brake lines on the firewall popped out of the bracket (just pop them back in).

My H3 had a ton of noises and rattles when I first got it. I don't have a single noise now other than my body mount rattle which will be fixed next weekend (hopefully)

Spencer

Ghostbuster

Another noise I had was from peeling chrome wheels lol. The inside part of my wheels are peeling and hit the brake calipers and it made a tick tick tick sound.