• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3slate's 06 Manual Adventure

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Man o man...Scarsman you did a great job, like I said before I wanna get rid of the gobi and do a replica of that... Absolutely awesome!

H3slate

Brush raked
Here are more pics!!

P1020222.jpg

Scarsman H2 rack with my H3 Expedition rack

P1020224.jpg

P1020226.jpg

H3slate

Brush raked
Here are the details:

Custom light bracket to fit 4 6x9 KC lights

P1020229.jpg

Two removable ammo boxes to hold trail gear. I can fit a tow strap, tree saver and shackles in one box.

P1020228.jpg

A custom hi-lift jack mount with a hide-a-way mount that sits flush with the cargo deck when not in use.

P1020230.jpg

Custom mounting brackets with H3 logo

P1020227.jpg

PacNWAg98

I stoppped by and saw the rack today - it looks awesome!! Some high quality work there. Dibs on the next one... the shorter (Seattle parking garage compliant) version :)

Scarsman & H3slate - great to meet you guys today. H3Slate, your ride looks great! Can't wait to see one of these bad boys on my ride! :woot:

DAVE

Hummjay

Wild Thang
OMG!!!! That is one friggin' sweeeeeeeet rack! Outstanding job, Robert!! Erik, you are one lucky dude to be sporting that on your truck!! Looks AWESOME! I love it!! :cheers:

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
WOW! Those are some really great and unique ideas :drool: (the ammo boxes, integrated hi-lift mount & the H3 brackets just to name a few) - that is a sweet rack! Great job there Mr. Scarsman! :thumbs:

4speedfunk

Dude that is a great looking rack!...but remember to be cautious with the how much weight you bolt to the roof rails, especially if you are flexing the truck when wheeling, (we all know that never happens!). There are several threads on failed H3 roof supports, on various Hummer forums, and it ain't easy to fix. A bad-ass roof rack might hold 500lbs but, the gutter rails on the truck will only hold 200lbs or so. Also...don't forget that "static weight" is not the same as "inertia weight", and slamming on the brakes with 200lbs of roof rack can turn into 1000lbs of force pulling upward on the roof rails. I've seen some photos of H3's laden with all all kinds of roof cargo (spare tires, tools, etc.) and I would never put that much weight up there. Those ammo boxes are a great idea...but, be careful what you stow inside em. Here's what happens when you overload a H3 roof-rack (from Nugget's truck)...

View attachment 4027

The H3 roof is made from very thin, flemsy, sheetmetal...regardless of what rack you use. At first you might think adding more mounting feet to your rack would spread load and make it last longer. However, this doesn't matter because the part that fails is actually below the mounting channel. I cannot think of a cheap or simple way to reinforce the roof rails without it being a major project. I think this is why the original BA roof rack was made from aluminum...its inherently weaker and therefore people won't be tempted to overload it. With advent of steel Gobi racks and custom steel racks (obviously much stronger)...you're first impression might be to throw a rick of firewood up there! Few people stop to realize what their super-strong, welded-steel, heavy-duty, roof rack is actually bolted to. Its tin-foil. So go easy on it.

Still a bad-ass rack. Great job.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Geez that picture is scary...could he tell that it failed even with the plastic on? dealership repair it?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

4speedfunk

Geez that picture is scary...could he tell that it failed even with the plastic on? dealership repair it?

Hmmm....Yes and No, I think. Nugget was a regular forum poster from down under, and he had one of the most decked-out, over-equipped rigs ever. It was damn near an RV! Of course in Aussie you need to pack a bunch of gear because the place is so vast and remote. He did "way out" excursion camping with his H3 and it had a Rancho lift, a turbo-charger, a refrigerator, and a host of other really cool mods. Probably one of the most well thought out and well equipped H3's ever built (no poser equipment). You can read all about his rig in the "builds" section.

I cannot find the roof repair thread but, I remember the whole top of the truck had to be disassembled, headliner removed, and some steel supports welded in place. Of course a re-paint was needed. It was probably stronger than the original when he got done but, man what a job! I can't recall if the dealer had any part of it or not. Nugget is still around from time to time, and maybe he could re-tell the roof story for those us that missed it. You out there Nugget?

Scarsman

Sponsor
I agree on the overloading. One should really think their loads out well. It can be real easy to just keep throwing stuff on just because there is room without any thought of the weight.