• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

GPS for off road use

poncho1965

Currently I have a Garmin Nuvi 1490t. Topo maps are available. What I don't know is if tracks can be imported or exported, and what software I would need on my PC to do this. Looking for for folks with firsthand experience, advice? Thanks!

Mike

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
I ran a laptop, mounted to a Ram mount for off-road GPS. Found those little screens too hard to read.
The laptop runs Garmin nRoute (discontinued, but still available for free online), it ran all the Garmins maps I had for use with Garmin mapsource. I could download tracks and routes I made sitting in my recliner, or routes you can find online at places like Traildamage.com. You can also transfer routes and tracks from Garmin nRoute to the Garmin mapsource programs.
Since laptops usually don't have GPS built in, you need some type of GPS receiver or antenna to attach. With Garmin software you used a receiver that magnetically mounts to the roof, and some free software to run the receiver signals to the nRoute software. I will say it worked great, and the reason I went with nRoute was I already had almost all the Garmin maps and was familiar with the software.

If all new, then look at Delorme that also has software that can be used in the similar way...I believe that's what Hunner used on his laptop setup.

poncho1965

I would like to use what I have ideally (iPhone5, Garmin 1490t). Less $$ to get running. The goal here is to be able to save tracks I don't run with H4O. Maybe I can contribute planning runs, etc, versus just showing up [emoji2] Craig mentioned that planning trips is one of the hardest parts, I just want to help in that regard.

Mike

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Not familiar with an iphone, but I know with a program like My Tracks on android, there is a way to save a track as a GPX file. Most software programs should be able to read a GPX file and then convert it to the file tag they normally use. Check your software options and see if you can do a GPX file.