• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Gobi parts update

Timgco

Hugh Hefner
EDIT:
After talking with BOTH owners of GOBI, parts will be provided on used racks. One owner tells me no parts, the other owner tells me case by case.

It's now worked out between the two of them. Basically prove you have a GOBI rack and you can get parts. WARRANTY is handled as it always has been. Have a bad part, send it in, and you will get it fixed or replaced. If you are not the original owner, you will have to provide the defective part and GOBi will either fix or replace that part. If you are missing a part, you will have to provide info on the rack and pay for the part(s).
The policy is in place to protect Authorized GOBI dealers and to prevent wrong use of product(s).

If you have questions, feel free to PM me.​

Last edited:

Gunner_45

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow.

That's like Ford saying if you did not buy your F150 new from them directly......No spare/replacment parts for you ! ! !

This might be the Gobi version of a Netflix moment.

Just how hard is it to get that GOBI lettering off the fairing I wonder............:wink:

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
I agree Mark - doesn't sound like a very good "business" model/decision to me but what do I know.

It's a good thing that the original owner of my gobi is a member here, happens to live in the same state that I do, I have his phone number, will probably wheel with him frequently and I know where he lives!!...just sayin. :giggle:

kmug

Yeah, I'm good since I'm the original owner of mine, but not sure I would have bought from them just on principle if this had been the case.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I bought my Gobi from Auggie Mathis but I don't think he bought it new either.

He bought it from me I think back when I worked for GOBI. I'll have to go back and look.

Last edited by a moderator:

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Unfortunately that kind of politics affects the resellers like Tim the worst. It's not like somebody else couldn't market their own replacements if they wanted.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I understand them not wanting people using their hardware on a different make of rack or trying to protect the brand name/image but I think this is going a little too far. This will make it harder for people to sell their Gobi racks which will make a lot of people consider whether a Gobi purchase in the first place is their best move. It their policy will have a negative impact you being to sell your Gobi why buy it in the first place? Curious policy.

M22KLARS

Unsafe At Any Speed
Unfortunately that kind of politics affects the resellers like Tim the worst. It's not like somebody else couldn't market their own replacements if they wanted.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Well if ever there were a market for it... now might be the time. :corn:

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
It depends on how you want them to sit. What light are you looking on what rack? H2 Ranger/ H3 Ranger?

Im lookin at a ranger for my h3, i currently have 6 inch KC slimlites on my truck, im fairly certain those will fit, im only asking in case i decide to upgrade ever to bigger better lights

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

08SolarFlareH3

Super Swampers
We had something similar to this happen with Digital Designs (DD Audio) on a car audio forum. People were buying cheap Konaki (knock off of the DD 9500) subs, stripping them down and reconing them with DD 9500 soft parts. So DD Audio decided they would no longer sell recone kits, and all subs had to be shipped in for repairs. This was a pain in the ass because most competitors running DD Audio wanted a recone kit on hand for competitions. Not to mention the shipping cost involved with sending a 50lbs subwoofer there and back (and the time). They ended up working a deal where you would take a picture with your name next to the sub and send it in, proving you had it in your possession. Another company, who was having similar problems made people ship in there old soft parts, basket, or etc in order to get replacement parts. Maybe GOBI could try something like this? How about working in an exchange policy? Were if you are the 2nd or 3rd owner of the rack and need replacement parts, you send in the old broken piece and it will be replaced for a fee. That way you know for a fact the person actually owns the rack and its not going on another brand or DIY rack. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Timgco

Hugh Hefner
Im lookin at a ranger for my h3, i currently have 6 inch KC slimlites on my truck, im fairly certain those will fit, im only asking in case i decide to upgrade ever to bigger better lights

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

You can go as big as you want. They will just sit in front of the rack vs inside the rack. A couple people are running PIAA 580's and LightForce on their GOBI's. An "L" Bracket to push them out and down will make just about any light work. It's easier on teh H2's sinc ethey have more width, but can be done on the H3's too.

Gunner_45

Super Moderator
Staff member
Absolutely no stank on Timmay over this deal........Pure GOBI.

I understand the reasons why they are doing this, but the ill will caused by

such a move could cost them more business than any counterfeiters could.

Ask Netflix and Bank of America about consumer backlash.

Timgco

Hugh Hefner
I will have a press release in the near future from GOBI to support what is going on. ...more to come.

Yarjammer

You can go as big as you want. They will just sit in front of the rack vs inside the rack. A couple people are running PIAA 580's and LightForce on their GOBI's. An "L" Bracket to push them out and down will make just about any light work. It's easier on teh H2's sinc ethey have more width, but can be done on the H3's too.

If you are wanting to use the stock holes w/o brackets the 6" KC Daylighters fit pretty snug. Mine are barely aimed high enough due to the tight fit. I really like the look of the bigger lights, but I also didn't want my lights to take the brunt of any branches by using brackets so these were the biggest ones I could fit. The biggest contributing factor with the KC's is the thick vibration isolating mount.

KCDL lights on GOBI.jpg

justintaylor

Ill tell you guys what happened, I had made a trade with Brodie for a rack earlier this year and when he shipped everything to me it had everything but the nut thing that slides into the rail. So I thought i would just see if Tim can get me one so that I can finally mount my rack and unfortunately this was the news that I got, so now I am in the process of having a guy machine me some so that I can get the rack mounted. I was very disappointed in GOBI on this one. The thing I dont get is if people are going to make copies they are going to make copies its not that hard for people to find someone with a GOBI already or just buy one and make copies. Pretty poor decision in my eyes. Thanks for your help anyway Tim

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like if you bought a used Gobi and ever need anything you either pay a custom fab shop to build you something or you have a new boat anchor. I don't get it, really don't. The aftermarket for car parts, light bulbs, accessory stuff is huge. Why limit your sales like this and piss off a huge swath of your customer base? Tim, Gobi can't be happy with the reaction/feedback they have gotten from this decision, hopefully they reconsider.

Last edited:

Timgco

Hugh Hefner
I doubt GOBi will change policy on this. In fact, I am waiting on a press release from them that will explain more in detail about their policy on used racks/ parts. Both owners have dealt with enough bs (myself included) and THEY (GOBI) decided to limit the ammount of bs by this new policy.

In all honesty, If you are the original ower of a new GOBI rack, you have no issues/ at all! Everything is documented as to whom purchased the rack and you can get whatever part you need through GOBI or through an authroized GOBI dealer. If you are selling the rack and need parts due to something you lost, order them up and build that cost into the price of your used rack sale. I see no porblem there.

the only people pi$$ed off by this are 99% buying used and home builders trying to use GOBI products.
This policy is protecting their company's a$$ over liability issues and backing their design patents are all part of this policy. In all honesty, every time I come accross a used rack and that sale goes to the used seller or copying manufact, I loose out on the sale (or another Authorized GOBI dealer does).

In the past, I didn't mind helping the members here and there with parts as I have done 100 times. I've even helped owners who bought the rack from me sell their rack and expedite freight services to the next owner. However, if you send a part out and that part is installed with the wrong rack or wrong hardware, it opens up a liabilty. Sending out brackets, t nuts, etc allows homebuilders and competition to copy/ get around GOBI's design pattents. GOBI is not in business to provide home builder kits. They are in the business to build completed custom racks!

With all the bull$hit on EBAY and CL has brought to the table, I have dealt with more behind the scenes crap than I care to deal with.

So, since I made GOBI's announcement in in my vedor section, I will add this:
IF YOU BUY A GOBI RACK FROM EXPEDITION HARDWARE, YOU WILL HAVE ACCESS TO PARTS FOR YOUR RACK WHEN/ IF YOU NEED THEM. i WILL STAND BEHIND THE GOBI LINE 100% AS I HAVE ALWAYS DONE AND SUPPORTING MY CUSTOMERS IS TOP PRIORITY. IF YOU DO DECIDE TO SELL YOUR RACK, CALL ME TO REVIEW ALL THE PARTS SO THE NEXT OWNER IS SET. IF THE PART ARE NOT ALL THERE, WE CAN HANDLE IT AT THAT TIME!

IF YOU BUY A USED RACK AND HAVE QUESTIONS, I AM HAPPY TO ANSWER THEM FOR YOU. HOWEVER, IF YOU NEED PARTS, I AM STANDING BEHIND GOBI'S POLICY!

Timgco

Hugh Hefner
Sounds like if you bought a used Gobi and every need anything you either pay a custom fab shop to build you something or you have a new boat anchor. I don't get it, really don't. The aftermarket for car parts, light bulbs, accessory stuff is huge. Why limit your sales like this and piss off a huge swath of your customer base? Tim, Gobi can't be happy with the reaction/feedback they have gotten from this decision, hopefully they reconsider.

I cannot go into much detail on this Dave. Feel free to call me. This policy is for liability reasons and design patent protection. GOBi is aware of the comments here.