• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Fuel transfer pump

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Call me a thief if you want...BUT I think this is a great idea.

I have never stole anything from anyone and never plan on it but if and when fuel is scarse seeing gas stations are not working I think a great thing to have is a transfer pump that can suck fuel out of other peoples gas tanks. I have issues saying that because morally it sounds wrong to me but if your life is on the line and you see abandoned car I think it would be ok to get there fuel...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=08VRHXDDG8385FRQFNN5

That is just an example I quickly found online but I am sure there are better ones available. My only thought on this is that new tanks have that safety net so you cant syphon gas but I think with a strong enough motor is will suck it out.

Once again I feel uncomfortable with this normally but if theres an abandoned car and your running low desperate times call for desperate measures.

is350

THIS GUY'S CRAZY ...... just kidding:wink:
i think that is a pretty good idea if there r thousands of cars that are just sitting in the roads like most shtf movies portray. this could get quiet a lot of use, knowing our hummers are fuel hungry off road monsters. :wink:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
You know, at the end of the day I don't think we will have some bizarre crazy situation where fuel is an issue and we are left on our own but in a section of the forum where we are supposed to prepare for the worst I think its a good idea...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Cars have anti siphon devices now a days so the only way to do that is to drop the entire tank...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Hunner

Nah you can knock out that little anti-spill trap door with a 1/2 dowel stick, uh so I have heard.
I have one of those large transfer pumps on my Cummins to transfer diesel from a 100 gallon tank in the bed down to the onboard tank. It's faster than at a car diesel fuel station. It does pull some amps though, I use 10 gauge wire. Most of those fittings are too large to fit unleaded fillers and will require several adapters. Some of those pumps are rated for oil and diesel but not gasoline as there is a risk of explosion.
On my Cummins I found a green ping pong size ball as a roll over leak preventer down in the filler neck that would not allow me to use the pump or the truck pumps at a truck stop.
I removed that and can fill 35 gallons in a couple of minutes. I carry 125 gallons on trips because I can start out with wholesale diesel, wife works for an oil/fuel distributor.
If you had electricity, Don't use an electric drill or even a battery powered one with one of those chucked up pumps. The brushes in the motor are a source of ignition.
Another don't is do not use a wet/dry vac lol yeah somebody did according to rumour, not me, same ignition problem.
A hand held siphon pump is the best, a tube with a long draw piston that creates a vacuum. I have used a bilge pump of that design in a pinch and it worked well.