• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Fan shroud came apart

SlcHummer

Today while driving home from work my fan shroud "came apart" and started rubbing against my belts and other engine components. I got it home okay and ordered a new fan shroud but didn't get an opportunity to get the old shroud completely off to take pics.

Anyway, has anyone ever experienced something like this? Curious why/how the fan shroud just came apart out of no where. I do have a 1" body star lift which has been installed for 10+ months and I believe required slight trimming of the shroud. I wonder if this is the cause and trimming caused weak points that ultimately failed.

mdocod

My fan shroud hasn't fit right since the day I bought mine about 4 months ago. If I rotate the lower part into place it always rubbed, so I left it in the up position....

Recently, while 4 wheeling, it jostled back down around to the bottom. I didn't notice right away, but when I got back on the highway I thought the fan sounded much louder than usual... a minute or 2 down the road the fan finished ripping the lower shroud to bits and tearing it off the assembly.

I just snipped off the damaged lower section and kept on truckin.

atvspeed4

If you have a 5 cylinder is is usually caused from bad motor mounts. I had that happen to ours accelerating from an intersection. With the Daystar kit you rotate the lower fan shroud and then need to secure it with a bolt so it cannot rotate back down and hit the fan

cbetts

NERD!!!
The I5 requires the bottom half of the shroud to be rotated up. Sounds like it wasn't secured and it rotated back down, hitting the fan.

Sent from my Pokémon GO appliance using Tapatalk

SlcHummer

That was basically it. The shroud was rotated up and secured at the top but on the sides it appears there were plastic tabs keeping it secure that broke and caused the side/bottom of the fan shroud to start contacting the fan. I cut away the areas that were broke/loose and was able to zip tie the remaining parts together to keep everything from rubbing. I ordered a new fan shroud to eventually replace it but intend on keeping the zip tie/temp fix in place for a few months.

Thank you all for the help.