• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Correct lower steering shaft for an alpha?

clickclickboom

Bit of a conundrum. Seems like the correct gm part number for an alpha is (25900715) however, it seems to be out of stock everywhere. Based on an older thread here I ordered (25900714).

Once I pulled out the shafts, the one i ordered is about a half inch shorter than the original. Will this be ok, and or does anyone know of a source for the correct alpha shaft?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

clickclickboom

for anyone else looking 24300315 is the correct shaft for an alpha, i found / ordered a NOS one. The only difference is the heat shield over the slip joint.

Both of the shafts are the same besides that and i'm a dummy and forgot to extend the replacement shaft when I was looking at them earlier.

Part of the clunk/noise that I thought was the steering shaft ujoints was actually the exhaust manifold heatshield which had worked it's way loose from the manifold. I used some stainless zip-ties to connect it back to the manifold. I still have a bit of play in the steering which I suspect is the rack or tie rods.

atvspeed4

for anyone else looking 24300315 is the correct shaft for an alpha, i found / ordered a NOS one. The only difference is the heat shield over the slip joint.

Both of the shafts are the same besides that and i'm a dummy and forgot to extend the replacement shaft when I was looking at them earlier.

Part of the clunk/noise that I thought was the steering shaft ujoints was actually the exhaust manifold heatshield which had worked it's way loose from the manifold. I used some stainless zip-ties to connect it back to the manifold. I still have a bit of play in the steering which I suspect is the rack or tie rods.

With the v8 we definitely need the heat shield the new steering shaft didnt last long without it even though it was OEM.

08Alphahill

Probationary Member
Alpha Lower Steering Shaft

Hi. Thank you to everyone who posted on this as I am in the same position - couldn't find the 25900715 anywhere and my Alpha is undriveable - failed inspection due to the lower shaft failure.
Question is what do you mean when you said: "...and forgot to extend the replacement shaft when I was looking at them earlier." Do you mean that this new shaft (24300315) needs to have something welded onto it to extend it or (updated post with dimensions below)?
(
Appreciated as my Alpha is lonely sitting in the garage.....

I look on the GM site and they say this is for the right hand drive vehicles (export). Does this also fit the Left Hand US vehicles?

25900715 dimensions:
16.7 x 3.4 x 3.3 inches
24300315 dimensions:
15.9 x 3.4 x 3.3 inches

Last edited:

Teahead

I think that MAYBE the only difference between 714 and 715 is that the latter has the heatshield.

25900715:

1706914891456.png

and the 25900714 does not:

1706915030854.png

Jeepwalker

The last one I bought, the end wasn't welded 'straight' as it was. So I had to compensate moving the tie rods. The next intermediate shaft I buy my plan is to cut the welds, separate the end, then install a sealed bearing on the actual shaft. Then re-weld the end, (taking care not to overheat the u-joint). Then fab up a bearing support with legs anchored to the inner fender to steady the shaft from moving side-to-side in micro-movements (at the knee bend) like they tend to want to do ..resulting in sloppier steering, than it needs to be even with a 'good' intermediate shaft. And also prevent it from going "Clunk!" every once in a while.

Last edited: