• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Cheapest 37" tires

IISPEEDYII

Because alot of them are terrible on and offroad and most are prone to blow outs. It turns out the custom h1 rims are 200$ and then tires are extra. But you can tell from all this dudes reviews on pirate 4x4 he doesn't pick up all the ****ty ones and he actually uses the nice ones. You also have to remember our rigs don't weigh nearly as much as an H1. Now that the rim/tire combo I thought was 200$ is actually 400$ there is no way i'm going this route. But until someone actually trys his products, I wouldn't immediately shut him down. Obviously if he has so many good reviews, people are enjoying the product, and they're not having all of the problems alot of people encounter with this combination.

I'm just sticking with the km2's until I can get some cheap rims and cooper stt's or one of the choices 06H3 gave us.

Lmao, I think Im gonna try it, but with some interco tires instead

backcountryislife

Sorry. Cheapest and Tires are two words I never use together; the tires are what touches the road and keeps you moving and ultimately safe.
I won't risk my safety on cheap tires.

FYI, the tires that TWF sells are treadwright tires, I've got two sets of them right now, and I've put over 400k on them over the years. I get about 30k from them on my cummins or other 2500 trucks I've owned, and also ran them on my H3, and on my JKU. Of the circle of friends I've got who run treadwrights, (about 20 guys, over 15 years) I've seen 3 failures (delam, tire is trash after that). Each of these was taken care of by treadwright. Considering I've got 400k+ just me, I'm going out on a limb & guessing that's a total of around 3-4 million miles, with a whopping 3 failures. When I ran Steel Bender with folks on here last year, yet another guy i know with a JKU was also running treadwrights as well. (we both have the newer Bead to Bead)

Here's a review from our local site here in CO, yet another circle of people who seem very happy with them. (btw, I'm not including any of these guys in the group I'm talking about above)

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums...readwright-Guard-Dog-Retread-Long-term-Review

Some folks like wasting money on consumables... some of us prefer to save that $$ for more mods :D

Last edited:

derian06

Red Rockett
FYI, the tires that TWF sells are treadwright tires, I've got two sets of them right now, and I've put over 400k on them over the years. I get about 30k from them on my cummins or other 2500 trucks I've owned, and also ran them on my H3, and on my JKU. Of the circle of friends I've got who run treadwrights, (about 20 guys, over 15 years) I've seen 3 failures (delam, tire is trash after that). Each of these was taken care of by treadwright. Considering I've got 400k+ just me, I'm going out on a limb & guessing that's a total of around 3-4 million miles, with a whopping 3 failures. When I ran Steel Bender with folks on here last year, yet another guy i know with a JKU was also running treadwrights as well. (we both have the newer Bead to Bead)

Here's a review from our local site here in CO, yet another circle of people who seem very happy with them. (btw, I'm not including any of these guys in the group I'm talking about above)

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums...readwright-Guard-Dog-Retread-Long-term-Review

Some folks like wasting money on consumables... some of us prefer to save that $$ for more mods :D
very informative thank you.

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Retreads, of any kind or brand, do no do well on Arizona highways during our hot summer months - pavement gets too hot.

atvspeed4

I 110% agree with backcountry. It pisses me off when people that have never run a modern treadwright light truck tire mouth off about how retreads are dangerous and you should not buy them... We personally have run them on our k2500 wheeling rig in the 315 size and never had an issue over the 5 years of towing other rigs back from auction or offroading all over western mass and NH. My good friend owns a large firewood company and they were the only tires he would run on the F350 diesels that were used to haul logs and deliver firewood to customers. He was always running close to max gcvwr so the only issue he had was getting around 20,000-30,000 miles out of a set of tires. They are great tires and I would be running them on our H3 if they had them in a 37 for 16" wheel

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

RamRod

atvspeed4;15335 I would be running them on our H3 if they had them in a 37 for 16" wheel Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk[/QUOTE said:
I looked into it a week ago, they don't... Not do they ship to canada :(

Sent from handheld smoke signal device

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Arizona did a study on highway tire casing debris. What they found was that nearly 80% of the tire casings from separated treads were from retreads.

RamRod

atvspeed4;15335 I would be running them on our H3 if they had them in a 37 for 16" wheel Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk[/QUOTE said:
I looked into it a week ago, they don't... Nor do they ship to canada :(

Sent from handheld smoke signal device

derian06

Red Rockett
Arizona did a study on highway tire casing debris. What they found was that nearly 80% of the tire casings from separated treads were from retreads.

I don't understand how re-treads would be unsafe, it's just rubber melted onto other rubber. It seems like it should be the exact same.

Last edited:

atvspeed4

I don't understand how re-treads would be unsafe, it's just rubber melted onto other rubber. It seems like it should be the exact same.

They are not... Also the study was in reference to tractor trailer retreads which are a totally different process, rubber compound, tire carcass, weight rating, vehicle... I can keep going

IISPEEDYII

The tire isn't whole, like its basically two pieces once retreaded, thats why they come apart, yes they're melted together but theres always a failure point when two things are joined together compared to a solid structure

Scarsman

Sponsor
Over 90% of the treads you see on the highway are the result of low tire pressure. As has been said, heat is a tire's worst enemy. A low tire builds heat very fast. Especially a semi truck tire with a lot of weight on it. Yes, some just simply fail, like any other tire can, but most are due to being run flat/low.

Zach

Mall Crawler
Over 90% of the treads you see on the highway are the result of low tire pressure. As has been said, heat is a tire's worst enemy. A low tire builds heat very fast. Especially a semi truck tire with a lot of weight on it. Yes, some just simply fail, like any other tire can, but most are due to being run flat/low.

Out here in So Cal, the majority are semi trailers. See the carcasses and usually a semi off to the side. Although the freeways I take now, there are a lot of semi's on the road headed to the port. Most passenger cars I see on the side of the road, the tire is intact and just flat.

Scarsman

Sponsor
Out here in So Cal, the majority are semi trailers. See the carcasses and usually a semi off to the side. Although the freeways I take now, there are a lot of semi's on the road headed to the port. Most passenger cars I see on the side of the road, the tire is intact and just flat.

True. But with a car you feel when the tire is going flat and can pull over before the tire comes apart. When the tire is part of a dual set on a trailer it isn't noticed until it is catastrophic. And with a retread once they run flat and get so hot they delaminate. And by hot I mean so hot you can't touch them.

If you have a port with lots of trucks hauling containers, then you are seeing the worst of the worst. Container haulers are the worst maintained trailers on the road! When I worked in tires those guys would practically not change tires until they blew apart. And they were terrible for checking air and maintenance. To this day I won't drive behind or beside one on the freeway. I get past them as quickly as I can.

Zach

Mall Crawler
True. But with a car you feel when the tire is going flat and can pull over before the tire comes apart. When the tire is part of a dual set on a trailer it isn't noticed until it is catastrophic. And with a retread once they run flat and get so hot they delaminate. And by hot I mean so hot you can't touch them.

If you have a port with lots of trucks hauling containers, then you are seeing the worst of the worst. Container haulers are the worst maintained trailers on the road! When I worked in tires those guys would practically not change tires until they blew apart. And they were terrible for checking air and maintenance. To this day I won't drive behind or beside one on the freeway. I get past them as quickly as I can.

Yeah the container haulers with the rear wheels wobbling. I try to keep my distance sometimes difficult. Had one blow a rear when I was next to it. Luckily the tire hit my rear sidewall. Person in the lane behind the semi was not as lucky.

Scarsman

Sponsor
Yeah the container haulers with the rear wheels wobbling. I try to keep my distance sometimes difficult. Had one blow a rear when I was next to it. Luckily the tire hit my rear sidewall. Person in the lane behind the semi was not as lucky.
Exactly! The wobbling is from their "California style"wheels. Someone too lazy to take the time to put them on right. I took pride in getting those as straight as could be! I saw a pair break off a truck at the hub still bolted together at 70 mph. Crossed three lanes of traffic, went over the jersey barrier, crossed the other three lanes of traffic, went up a 10' bank and hit a large metal light pole knocking it over onto the frontage road. Miracle it missed all the cars! That's about 400 lbs moving 70 mph.

Can007

I have been out of town and just saw these thread... I am running 36 military tires on a 16.5 rim on a 6 lug for about 2 years now and they have been great. I would strongly recommend them.

derian06

Red Rockett
I have been out of town and just saw these thread... I am running 36 military tires on a 16.5 rim on a 6 lug for about 2 years now and they have been great. I would strongly recommend them.

Do you have where you got them from? And if you can post some pictures of them.

Last edited:

Neo

Badfish
TSL bias ply Swampers, i get them in 38's, great trail tires not recommended for daily street driving in my opinion.

Bananatank

Someone mentioned running 37's no lift well this guy kinda did it lol, i believe he has shackles and a tbar crank running stock rims and 37' super swampers ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411277151.019035.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1411277159.911346.jpg 1.5 schackles in the rear to be exact

rsc

I wonder if thats for a street queen? I would guess it fits until you start flexing the suspension offroad.