• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

CB/Ham Radio? 11 mtr/10 mtr Radio?

crank

The Master Blaster!
Hey guys... I've been thinking about putting a nice 2-way radio in the CD changer spot in my H1. I don't know what all you use in your rigs when you are running through the "Outback". Most of the Hams out there are 80-10 mtrs, VHF/UHF, and CB. I don't want to get into too much mobile. 10 mtrs and up, is another story. I've heard the question about a hundred times, "Is there a CB/Ham radio combo? I just saw a radio CRE-8900 11/10 mtr radio.
http://cbradiomagazine.com/CRE 8900 10 Meter S. SB Export Radio.html
It's an import. Looks nice. Compact.
Most guys use CB. Thats a given. Are there many hams that use 10 mtrs? What are your thoughts? Or should I just go with a VHF/UHF?
I haven't been on 10 mtrs in a long time. Is there any activity?

Last edited:

LagunaH1

Weeelll.......

What do you want to do with it? Who do you want to talk to?

To answer your last question first, we are pretty close to the peak of the current sun spot cycle so when 10 meters is open it's pretty amazing. I have worked places like Japan, Belgium, and the likes on 10 meters mobile under good conditions when located in a favorable location.

I don't care much for CB'ers outside of using it for trail runs. CB'ers tend to be... Uhmm..... Well, they have a rather theoretical view of rules and regulations and there tends to be a lot of racism, insults and generally poor and rude behavior. In my opinion this is largely because of the lack of a requirement for station identification, or, no call signs.

I do like listening on channel 19 when driving, truckers often know most about traffic, accidents etc.

I didn't open the link you posted but make sure the radio you buy is type approved by the FCC to operate on the frequencies you want to operate on.

I don't use HF while driving, it's simply too distracting to tune and configure a HF radio as I drive along. Using FM on 2 meters / 440 is *much* simpler and the sound quality is much much better, at the expense of range compared to HF

MaxPF

AGNTSA
Those combo 10/11M rigs are technically illegal for CB use, and only legal for ham use if you are a ham. Even if you're a ham, you only get access to the full spectrum (28.000-29.700MHZ) with a general or higher license. Technician class (Novice class is defunct now), which is by far the most common amateur class, only gets use up of the 28.000-28.500MHZ spectrum. Since 28.000-28.300 is allocated for CW only (code), that means a tech only has access to 200KHz of spectrum for voice or other modes. That little sliver of the spectrum gets awful crowded at times. There is no longer a code requirement for a general or extra ticket, but the tests get quite technical. Most guys who just want to use ham radio for basic comms don't have the ambition to study and learn the technical electronic and RF theory needed to pass those exams.

Anyway, VHF and UHF FM is by FAR better than HF for short-medium range communications. HF doesn't have as good short-range propagation - as the frequency gets lower more of the RF energy is directed skyward from a vertical dipole antenna (your basic whip antenna), with relatively little propagated by the "ground wave". CBers will tell many stories about how they can talk to someone hundreds of miles away, but they can't make out someone transmitting a couple miles away.

Most guys use CBs on the trail because anyone can use one without a license. For that reason, I have a (crappy) CB in my rig. I also have a dual band (2m/70cm) ham rig for talking to other hams on the trail. So, either way get yourself a decent CB. Don't waste your money on those "import" radios. If you get a ham ticket, get a dual band rig from one of the big 4 manufacturers (Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood, Alinco).

crank

The Master Blaster!
I am a Ham and have been one for about 40+ years. I do have a few dual band Kenwood radios that are 2 mtr/70 cm mobile and a hand held. I was thinking of installing them again. I just wasn't sure what the other guys were using in thier rigs. I haven't been on HF in a very long time but I do listen in every now and again to CW.
I agree short range talk is 2 mtr and above for those with a license. I thought about getting a CB just for running around with others. I don't like the 11/10 mtr radios much but I heard a few of you all talking about 10 mtrs so I thought what the heck... :)
Thanks for the info.

Those combo 10/11M rigs are technically illegal for CB use, and only legal for ham use if you are a ham. Even if you're a ham, you only get access to the full spectrum (28.000-29.700MHZ) with a general or higher license. Technician class (Novice class is defunct now), which is by far the most common amateur class, only gets use up of the 28.000-28.500MHZ spectrum. Since 28.000-28.300 is allocated for CW only (code), that means a tech only has access to 200KHz of spectrum for voice or other modes. That little sliver of the spectrum gets awful crowded at times. There is no longer a code requirement for a general or extra ticket, but the tests get quite technical. Most guys who just want to use ham radio for basic comms don't have the ambition to study and learn the technical electronic and RF theory needed to pass those exams.

Anyway, VHF and UHF FM is by FAR better than HF for short-medium range communications. HF doesn't have as good short-range propagation - as the frequency gets lower more of the RF energy is directed skyward from a vertical dipole antenna (your basic whip antenna), with relatively little propagated by the "ground wave". CBers will tell many stories about how they can talk to someone hundreds of miles away, but they can't make out someone transmitting a couple miles away.

Most guys use CBs on the trail because anyone can use one without a license. For that reason, I have a (crappy) CB in my rig. I also have a dual band (2m/70cm) ham rig for talking to other hams on the trail. So, either way get yourself a decent CB. Don't waste your money on those "import" radios. If you get a ham ticket, get a dual band rig from one of the big 4 manufacturers (Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood, Alinco).

MaxPF

AGNTSA
I am a Ham and have been one for about 40+ years. I do have a few dual band Kenwood radios that are 2 mtr/70 cm mobile and a hand held. I was thinking of installing them again. I just wasn't sure what the other guys were using in thier rigs. I haven't been on HF in a very long time but I do listen in every now and again to CW.
I agree short range talk is 2 mtr and above for those with a license. I thought about getting a CB just for running around with others. I don't like the 11/10 mtr radios much but I heard a few of you all talking about 10 mtrs so I thought what the heck... :)
Thanks for the info.

Oh, 10 meters is fun, but only with a good radio. Those import radios don't usually have a very good front end compared to the equipment from Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu. They're more along the lines of a typical consumer CB. Better off to get a decent ($100ish) CB for that use, and a good mobile HF rig if you want to play on the HF bands.