• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Bishop, CA - August 27-28 - Photos and Recap

cbetts

NERD!!!
Once again, the SoCal chapter of H4O had a great time wheeling. We met up in Bishop, California for a weekend of mountain climbing.

I met up with Zach and WarMongur to do one last prerun up Wheeler Ridge. When we were up there last month, the trail was blocked by a small avalanche. Fortunately, all the snow was melted away and we were able to reach the outlook spot on the crest.

(Click on images to view larger version)

!

Saturday started off with a good sized group, one H1, five H2s, three H3s and one H3T. We aired down the tires in Swall Meadows and proceeded to head up Sand Canyon.

We grabbed a quick bite to eat and did some troubleshooting on mb30sdl's H2 (bad cooling fan). The challenge of Wheeler Ridge Mine Road was waiting for us.

Once we got to the top, the crew was treated to a beautiful view of a snow melt pond.

A little more driving took us to the lookout at the top of the Sierras at about 11,000 ft elevation with a spectacular view of Round Valley.

We started our way back and found a nice playground of rocks and sand dunes just south of the pond.

Even portager and MuDnYrI got in on the fun!

On Sunday, we took Silver Canyon out of Laws to the top of the White Mountains. Three people from the first trip dropped-out but we picked-up a Chevy pickup driven by my childhood friend Chris. On the way up, Zach was the first to spot the bighorn sheep.

The first-timers were quite impressed once we started up the switchbacks.

Once we got to the top, we lined up for a beautiful shot of the trucks with the Sierras in the background.

Next, we drove down to Patriarch Grove to view the oldest living organisms in the world and eat lunch. Unfortunately, MuDnYrI had to depart early to he took his family back down White Mountain Road. The rest of us went down Wyman Canyon where we found many creek crossings and amazingly enough, rain!

We also stopped by a creek crossing where Zach had some fun washing the mud off his truck.

Towards the bottom of the canyon, the scenery changed quite a bit and the landscape looked like something from another planet.

We aired back up once we got to Highway 168 and we started back to Big Pine. From there, four of us turned north to stay in Bishop one more night while the rest of the troupe headed home.

The rest of my pictures can be viewed here: LINKY

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I cant thank you guys enough for the great time I had. That was my first multiple day wheeling trip and with the experience I had it will definitely not be my last. I showed everyone the scenic pictures and talk about this trip all the time. Next time I think I will bring my dog, brother, and dad. My mom and sisters are still a bit afraid but if we can get my dad to catch the bug maybe another Hummer will be in the family soon :)

Nacho

Now with Chese
Photos from Day 1

102_4149.jpg

102_4152.jpg

102_4206.jpg

102_4186.jpg

102_4158.jpg

102_4168.jpg

102_4214.jpg

102_4224.jpg

102_4229.jpg

102_4236.jpg

102_4220.jpg

102_4252.jpg

102_4253.jpg

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Nice pictures, I gotta post mine up. Nice grille shot, lol. I got my new one its been sandblasted now it just has to be painted.

Zach

Mall Crawler
Great view Saturday morning at the hotel. You can just barely see Cbetts' rig behind the H1
070.jpg

Saturday running up Wheeler Ridge
024.jpg

026.jpg

027.jpg

030.jpg

032.jpg

034.jpg

036.jpg

038.jpg

043.jpg

047.jpg

049.jpg

053.jpg

cbetts

NERD!!!
Here are the pics I told some of you about in Bishop.

Here is DesertDan at the end of Wheeler Ridge Mine Road. That is Mount Tom in the background (the large pyramid shaped mountain we saw on our way up just North of Bishop)
13734_185254566895_500031895_3112060_5575085_n.jpg

This is Dan making his way up. Notice how much off-camber he is!
13734_185254591895_500031895_3112061_6003330_n.jpg

Kurt

Starting to go through the backlog of my photo library, finally caught up to the Bishop trip

wheelerRidge by Halfshaft, on Flickr

IMG_0292 by Halfshaft, on Flickr

IMG_0291 by Halfshaft, on Flickr

IMG_0289 by Halfshaft, on Flickr

wheelerPrep by Halfshaft, on Flickr

Bishop_lineup by Halfshaft, on Flickr

valleyClimb by Halfshaft, on Flickr

IMG_0330 by Halfshaft, on Flickr

Bishop_ridge1 by Halfshaft, on Flickr

IMG_0337 by Halfshaft, on Flickr

Bishop_ridge2 by Halfshaft, on Flickr

Bishop_lunch1 by Halfshaft, on Flickr