• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Best thing I have done to my H1

Green 1

Matty Patty Pookie Bear
While getting ready for Moab I noticed a leak in my power steering gear box. I ordered one from Hummer Parts Guy who had them on sale for about 500 which is a huge saving s over regular price. This has turned out to be the bet thing I have ever done to my truck. It drivers like a new truck. I am rebuilding the old box.This has made the truck fantastic to drive and before it was not bad. I strongly suggest if you have an older H1 or a truck that has been offroaded a lot consider this as a near future project. Get the box while it is on sale and this is a new box no return required.

Last edited:

Green 1

Matty Patty Pookie Bear
It was surprising the truck did not drive bad to begin with but when I changed the gearbox it drives much more like a sports car. There was some play in the old box but not bad. The truck now is very responsive and tight.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Matt, you were so good at driving it on Steel Bender with no power assist (and no power at all), I thought you might like that "direct feedback" method and wouldn't need this power assist.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
But it is amazing how some things degrade over time and we don't realize it until we replace them. Your power steering is an example, as are shocks, as Hunner has pointed out many a time. Tires, a/c, headlights, windshields, etc. I love that "new" feeling when replacing those tired parts.

Green 1

Matty Patty Pookie Bear
Matt, you were so good at driving it on Steel Bender with no power assist (and no power at all), I thought you might like that "direct feedback" method and wouldn't need this power assist.
My arms still hurt thinking about that day and the older I get power is good.