• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Back from Sabbatical...

Messages
10
Location
Tulsa
Greetings! Its been several years since my last post, so I thought I would do a reintroduction here. Was a poster/follower for a while on CHO, but moved over here whenever that stuff happened....

Since my last post, Ive bought a house, started a family, and now I'm ready to get back to work!

I own a 2009 H3T Adventure w/ manual trans. Red. Mods include fixing the seat plastic so it doesn't click when you get in/out of the truck, switch panel up on the headliner where the map lights are, torsion bar crank, hummer steelies, Truck vault bed cargo system, snugtop, Gobi ranger, and some other stuff Im sure I have forgotten.

3a06b372.jpg

B1B2F5A1-C7AF-49AD-8A53-04683D2C84A7.jpg



Soon to come is a 5.3 V8 that I have recently rebuilt. Its mostly a stock Aluminum block. Went with a mild cam, as well as a VVT, AFM delete which the hummers dont have anyways. The Aisin ar-5 obviously wont work behind the V8 for long, so Im thinking a nv4500 is in my future. I'd love a ZF 6-speed, but I don't think it would fit. Transfer case swap is probably due as well. Rear axle is planned on being a late model 14Bolt FF, and I have a Dana 60 that I'd like to put in the front, but Im not sure about that yet.

D258FC56-FF00-477A-A3C7-512F96946C35.jpg
 

High Five H2

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,627
Location
West Texas
At one point i thought about putting a zf6 behind a big V8. that would be rad, you should do it! what T case are you looking at?
 

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Messages
6,561
Location
Arizona
Welcome back and great reintroduction. I had wondered where you had gone. Please keep us updated on all your planned neverendingprojects.
 

SuperBuickGuy

Well-Known Member
Messages
3,403
Location
Woodinville, WA
welcome back...
I'm using that same transmission (the Aisin-Warner) behind the 350 in my FJ40. Honestly, with decent gears and not hammering it - it should be fine. It's rated for the stock-levels of the 5.3.

What you will need to change, though, is the transfer case. The case that is behind your aisin transmission is very weak. Of course, no one builds an adapter for your transmission to other transfer cases however, the output on the transmission is the same as a 4L60e - which means you can adapt your transmission to the V8 transfer case. To adapt to the V8 on the front - it's the same as an AX15, so there are a bunch of adapters out there.

With that said, I agree on your reluctance on the NV4500 or NV 5600, those are heavy beasts - but their advantage is they are shorter then the transmission currently in your truck. The ZF is a good option outside of its rarity - of course, that means, also, that adapting it is on you.
 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
Awesome! If you need wiring harness help I used Jamie (04colyzq8) for my 5cyl to v8 swap. He has done both auto and manual v8 swaps.

As for t case Buick to swap them wouldn't you need a VSS sensor in it? I saw a guy on the Colorado forum running an np241. Not sure what works and what doesn't from an electronic standpoint
 

atvspeed4

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,211
Location
massachusetts
We looked into the nv4500 swap and it wont work in an H3 or H3T unfortunately. The shifter tower would be just behind the firewall buried in the dash. We had a nv4500 that we were measuring off of. Really unfortunate that every other truck manual transmission has the shifter tower in the wrong spot. Unfortunately the H3 aisin transmission was more of a "car" style transmission in its shape, size and shifter location towards the back of the transmission. Honestly I would upgrade the clutch and run the stock transmission.

**edit**

I wish the pictures still worked but this is the link that inspired us to try and get the nv4500. http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28651

He put a nv4500 in a supercharged H2! They made some crazy linkage so that the shifter tower, while under the dash, could be shifted by a shifter that was closer to where it would be from factory.
 
Last edited:
Messages
10
Location
Tulsa
We had a nv4500 that we were measuring off of. Really unfortunate that every other truck manual transmission has the shifter tower in the wrong spot.

If be interested in the dimensions if you still have them.

Also, I was planning on a remote shifter the whole time. I know the stock location won't work.
 
Messages
10
Location
Tulsa
Awesome! If you need wiring harness help I used Jamie (04colyzq8) for my 5cyl to v8 swap. He has done both auto and manual v8 swaps.

As for t case Buick to swap them wouldn't you need a VSS sensor in it? I saw a guy on the Colorado forum running an np241. Not sure what works and what doesn't from an electronic standpoint

I will need some help with the wiring, so thanks for the contact.

I was thinking a np205 or 203 if I wanted to keep the AWD. It will need a vss, but I'm not worried about that.
 
Top