• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

B0013 Airbag Code - 2008 Alpha

Dyno Dan

Active Member
Messages
35
Location
Southwest Montana
Howdy all. I’m getting a B0013 airbag code (passenger knee bolster deployment control) code on my 2008 Hummer H3 Alpha. I’ve checked the connection under the passenger seat, unplugged, plugged back in, cleared all module codes but the airbag light on the dash and code persists. Any ideas?
 

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Messages
10,673
Location
Scottsdale
The H3 doesn't have a knee bolster. But it does appear to be related to passenger presence

B0013 stage 2 or B0017 stage 1
The passenger instrument panel air bag stage 1 or stage 2 high circuit is less than 2.4 volts and the passenger instrument panel air bag stage 1 or stage 2 deployment loop is more than 6 ohms for 500 milliseconds.
The passenger instrument panel air bag stage 1 or stage 2 deployment loop resistance is more than 4.8 ohms for 500 milliseconds"

I presume you read the attached or something similar. It doesn't include H3s but maybe it still applies. Or maybe not. Did you clean and/or test the connections?

Second attachment includes wiring and troubleshooting.

So, with low voltage I would start as always with our H3s - double-check your battery terminals. Are they original, loose, corroded or otherwise weak? How's the battery condition?
 

Attachments

  • MC-10137623-9999.pdf
    108.4 KB · Views: 503
  • Hummer-H3-Airbags-1-4-1.pdf
    6.8 MB · Views: 574

Dyno Dan

Active Member
Messages
35
Location
Southwest Montana
Thanks for the reply. I did aquire and review the materials you posted which was helpful, but I haven't really dug into the project quite yet. It seems the CPA (connector-position assurance) clips / retainers are located at the drivers side air bag connector, passenger side airbag connectors, and then 2 others up in the front (left and right) near the radiator support. I think I can inspect the drivers side and the 2 up front relatively easy, but not sure how to dig into the passenger side........looks tricky. Given the code refers to the passenger side, I suppose that's where I should start. Not sure how any of these CPA clips would have been broke, but one could be the culprit.

Yes, battery and terminals are in good shape. One of the first things I did was upgrade the battery positve and negative terminals thanks to some guidance from this forum :)

Any idea on which one of the CPA's I would need?

2052834 RETAINER, CPA
88988974 RETAINER, CPA
54590003 RETAINER, CPA (J-38125 SIR Tray)
 

Dyno Dan

Active Member
Messages
35
Location
Southwest Montana
Well, I pulled the SIR fuse and the negative battery cable, and then pulled the air bag on the driver's side. There is NO semblance of the CPA "tabs" on the 2 connections that plug into the back of the air bag.....booger. Button things back up, fuse back in, battery cable back on and the problem still persists......as it should, I changed nothing. I take a look at the passenger side airbag.......literally stand there and look at it thinking, how in the world do I get anywhere near the connector. I lowerer the glovebox and take a look around and there's nothing that seems accessible or visible........booger. Out of frustration I whack the airbag and dash with my fist a few times to make myself feel better. Key on, air bag light flashes with the other lights and then goes out. Start it up, normal lights illuminate along with airbag light and then all turn off. Success from physically whacking the passenger side airbag???? You've got to be kidding me! I declare vicotry, go into the house and get a good nights rest. :)
 

Jeepwalker

Well-Known Member
Messages
976
Location
WI
The side curtain air bags on a regular H3 there is a connector up by the roof at the air bag inflator, and another connector down by the lower seat belt retracting mechanism. So you have an intermediate cable behind the plastic panel on the B-pillar floor to roof. I've had the lower connector on my H3 come loose. It's actually pretty easy to get to. All the interior plastics on the H3's are amazingly easy to remove. Usually once any screws or seat belt mechanisms are removed, just some gentle tugging and wiggling (at the same time) removes the panels. The retaining clips are metal and don't break generally speaking unless you abuse them. I've had all my truck's interior plastic panels out and in several times over the years. lol. I like how the H3 interior is put together and is easily serviceable.

Maybe that's not what was going on in your case, but if you need to dig into it again, it's not that difficult to get to the cables.
 
Top