• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Auxiliary wiring

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
I think by now some of have noticed my fond or more like obsession with lights. This presents certain wiring challenges, last time i looked at my battery terminals I was shocked because it looked like this
IMG_0902.jpg

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
WHAT to do :bg5:, time to visit "technology center"
The-Old-Shed-by-Heather-T-Imagery-qpps_463856673621146MDjpg168116cropnorth.jpg

and do some research:ebay:
:jeff:

:think:

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
After doing some :hthink: I came up with "Power Strips" TM.
IMG_0904.jpg

IMG_0925.jpg

One for + and another for ground with covers.

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
After removing battery and tray. I mounted Power Strips to inner side wall, ground next to the battery and + closer to fuse box.
IMG_0905.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0941.jpg

IMG_0939.jpg

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
I checked clearance to the battery terminal and all was good.
Since I am running (see list):
1 Battery plug front
2 Battery plug rear
3 Front winch
4 Rear winch
5 2 air compressors
6 something like 20 lights maybe more
7 2 extra fuse boxes
8 etc...

Yea I need more power take offs.
IMG_0920.jpg

IMG_0918.jpg

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
I made some custom wires. Shrink ed wrapped ends, made custom Jump Strip and :hmm: tis is what it look like now.
IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0943.jpg

Hunner

I don't know what type strips you used but I can suggest that the standard Radio Shack stuff, that are some sort of chrome plated screws will corrode over time. Marine grade terminal strips have nickle plated brass connections and hold up even in salt water environments.
I also use marine grade wiring under the hood and exposed areas. Anchor brand marine wiring has insulation rated for heat, oil and water and the wire is tinned the entire length to help prevent corrosion. When you see green copper wiring it has gone way past the patina stage and is corroded enough to cause more resistance=heat and weird reactions from electronics sensitive to voltage variations.
Water proof fuse holders are a good choice as well and shrink wrapped wiring connections to help prevent moisture from wicking up the wires.
If that was not your choice a coating of dielectric grease (non conductive) applied after wiring is completed could prolong corrosion.

Cleaning all that up was a good thing, especially for troubleshooting in the dark, in the mud, in the rain when things always decide to shut down.