• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

ARB CKMTA12 air compressor mounting and Magellan TRX7 GPS mounting.

rascole

Wife was generous this past week for my birthday and anniversary. Got a new ARB air compressor and Magellan TRX7 GPS. Now the fun part trying to find a place to mount them.
Has anyone mounted an air compressor inside the back door where the jack goes? Was also thinking of mounting it under where the muffler used to sit. ARB says the compressor can handle the occasional submersion as long as the air intake is remote mounted and power is off.
20180518_145805 (1280x622).jpg

Who has used Ram mount no drill arms for tablets and laptops? Want to keep it below dash level. Was thinking of using the magnetic phone mounts to mount over the radio face.
20180518_205105 (1280x622).jpg

Korby7

54716995-5DF3-4812-8836-BC20086560E5.jpegYou’ve got a good woman. Wish I had the dual. Mine is only a single ARB but it tucked far enough in the rear door I can still store the hose and air tool case, first aid and other gear in there. Has worked well the last few trails since I installed it. I chose this spot because it keeps the compressor and fittings clean and away from water and the heat of the engine.

JPaul

I'm planning on putting my ARB twin in the rear door, if I can ever get around to it. I really can't think of anywhere else it will fit aside from underneath, and while it might be able to tolerate it, I'd rather put my $450 pump in a cleaner and safer location.

rascole

View attachment 23687You’ve got a good woman. Wish I had the dual. Mine is only a single ARB but it tucked far enough in the rear door I can still store the hose and air tool case, first aid and other gear in there. Has worked well the last few trails since I installed it. I chose this spot because it keeps the compressor and fittings clean and away from water and the heat of the engine.
I read your install thread and the single fits in there prefect. Probably the better set up.

rascole

I'm planning on putting my ARB twin in the rear door, if I can ever get around to it. I really can't think of anywhere else it will fit aside from underneath, and while it might be able to tolerate it, I'd rather put my $450 pump in a cleaner and safer location.
I done some measuring and it will fit just need to make a new back plate that spans @ 18" to cover the uneven ridges. Then the problem of getting all that wiring and air line back out the door, may have to install another grommet.

JPaul

One option for the wiring and air line is to not even bother trying to route it the same as the factory harness, but instead have it be just inside, if that makes sense. That way you just need to pass it through the trim panel on the door and the trim panel inside the cargo area near the hinges. For the wiring you'd have where it exits from the door and enters the interior offset height-wise, similar to how the factory harness is setup, to allow the cables to have lots of flex. The air line can probably use a swivel fitting or have it be setup the same as the wiring to allow it to flex easily when the door is opened. The wiring and hose will be exposed when the door it closed, but unless you have a load in the back that shifts around and can catch on it you shouldn't have a problem.

It's not too bad a deal to drill new holes in the door edge and pillar and use some water-tight seals and route the wiring and air line the same as the factory, though you will need to remove the door to do that, and that is definitely a two and probably three person job. With how much the front doors weigh, I can only imagine how heavy that back door is. For the air line you could also just run it directly out the door and have a connector mounted right on the door itself maybe using a mounting plate or something to hook your hose to. So many options.

JPaul

I just had a thought, I'm going to eventually get my ARB fridge back in the rear, and maybe there will be enough room for the compressor to mount to the back of the seat in the cavity that is created when the fridge is in. I'll have to check that out.

Another option is to mount the compressor up in the window well in the back on the driver side, but you'd need to fabricate a mount that is very securely fastened to the metal beneath the trim panel.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

rascole

99% of the time I have no back seat, I considered the trim under the window but the stupid sub and amp are in there. I would delete but too much of a PITA. I'm still considering mounting underneath with some sort of a splash guard. Easiest solution but still a little bit concerned about water even though it's resistant. Someone said that at ARB HQ in Aus the have a compressor submerged in a fish tank that runs.

JPaul

If you're going to put it underneath then I'd at least fill the motor connectors with dielectric grease to seal moisture out, probably the relay connectors as well. I'd worry about the cooling fan failing after a while due to dust and grit as well, so you'd want to check it periodically. With the air intakes, you don't want to run even 3/8" hose very far, the restriction will cause a marked decrease in output. I'd feed them from a larger manifold made with 2-3" ABS pipe and route that up above any potential wading depth, or even just into the inside of the truck.

Sure, you can just throw it under there and it will likely be OK, but I like to plan ahead and try to prevent any potential failure in the future if I can help it. This is why I have barely gotten anything done on my Alpha, I haven't had the time to put into these upgrades like I want to. That and now I have to replace the transmission on it...

rascole

Initial plan was to run 2 1/2' hose to where I ran the rear diff breather behind the right tail light and plastic trim. Weather proofing the connectors will be done for sure.

JPaul

I have not, but I've seen a lot of people on expeditionportal.com use them. They're fine for tablets and such offroad. Laptop is probably pushing it, even a lighter one but can handle it on the street I think.

cbetts

NERD!!!
I use the RAM mount lugs bolted through my DayStar dash tray.
C9sDyqwEk91JJa8ReIEGPgzsMg4Nx7FGZgV5Fd4G6XrNbegEKrsdBhV9nEdeO2lo_SzLoO2L6XKYN1Ko4SH6WPnq5K27z07WzfVXKbNUYEn8U71c6Xz01MGCW1FTe4tkS1SJYL0HzKKh4X_NHh7_ZNeAp_NKg-QrjUQ5-r_hu21sTAqqsmSbC8j5kqsKeVEhbEXkNkTJJldFmaSQZZwyIinN4XurZF2WtAJCPbvaNcrt5bXOL9n4V7s5y01q3ds-n1qb5WheALI7lzZKiOdcsms3UdMErb-zsXnJt_CDVz-GUPZ8KHpQMqUD-fqNarfwqHBrWNkmEsjDuGv0Jw46ussiO6Sc0dWoqkmZXsbOdJLbbjLHdKxM_A-Fb3VYQBodVFYPaj-6MY982QSeJ7vXAnX8ysT9mmwgCKtEt5XYnMYk1qFUd6z7FZbrFtPyb83G31rx4-wglbRO8ZNidX1UEnLtgSNtyA2zbdgWg-eVAy3_CfOfKm4dZZG7QzvEeylNG90SnOCUQzbfSK3YpOcEqc5HehWPWO1ci6Ww1V8rST0IeD1sIjOD34i2vkYDRiwAVZUZYG0ZK0ZKX96IlLBX8vXoWOXaJjD7e5rHKP1OSirJiGR2PcPmQumnTwZwevzv4hinHqEIdBIkWeGEpNydWySNN0RSHL6IDQ=w1277-h718-no

This provided flexibility along with having a rigid mount. Yes, I drilled holes in the dash but I will probably never remove the dash tray anyways.

rascole

I use the RAM mount lugs bolted through my DayStar dash tray.
This provided flexibility along with having a rigid mount. Yes, I drilled holes in the dash but I will probably never remove the dash tray anyways.
That is my second option. I like that it keeps the screen high but not in the way. My first idea I'm working on now should be done this weekend. Making a magnetic bracket that will mount the GPS over the radio which I never use anyways on the trail.

cbetts

NERD!!!
RAM offers a lot of different arms to get the device to be located where you want. I like my setup because it allows me to reposition the mount up high to use my phone as a camera. I also have the second ball mount on the dash to allow the GoPro to operate at the same time.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Bigunit has had his compressor mounted underneath with no issues. Makes running air lines and power lines much easier, plus there's more space.

I use a Ram laptop mount in my H3 for my tablet-based GPS. Reloader fabbed a copy of it. Takes up a fair amount of room but it works well and also provides a place to mount an additional cupholder.

i-DqKRqsh-L.jpg

rascole

I'll have to ask him for some pics. I would much rather mount it there for those reasons. Thinking of some form of enclosure to aid protection but allow heat to easily vent.

rascole

Magellan TRX7 mount

My first mount option I decided to try using the magnetic phone mounts. I used 2 mounts that are rated for double the weight of the GPS. For the a few days of driving I am happy with it. It does move a little on bigger dips but hasn't fallen off yet. I'm not worried about radio access as I never use it on the trails. Have a short trip planned to Big Bear in a few weeks so I can test the GPS and the mount.

20180526_095306.jpg
20180526_100233.jpg
20180526_100432.jpg

RamRod

That's a interesting way to solve the "where to mount this" issue!

I commend your creativity!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

MilamJR

I mount mine with a suction cup from the very front of the sun roof hanging down. This way it is out of my line of sight and with the cover closed it stops the glare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk